• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you didn't finish

I actually just started reading The Red Tent today, and I'm frankly having a bit of trouble with it. It's a little scattered

'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist' - great concept, boring prose (IMHO).

'Chocolat' - great film (set in the 1950s), silly book (set in the 1980s or 90s - when surely many of the social mores that are part of the story would no longer have been relevant?)

Probably loads of others too - I'm a quitter! If a book fails to live up to my expectations then I give up. Too many others out there waiting to be read!

That's interesting. I guess a next logical question would be, which books have you folks put down for any reason, and then successfully picked up reading again?

I tried, unsuccessfully, to read "Rebecca" for almost 10 years. I just couldn't get into the first chapter at all. Then one day it just clicked and I had no problem reading the book. In fact, I reread it every 2-3 years.

I just stopped reading Wicked by Maguire. The flow of words was choppy- the diction too flowery. I just could not get into it at all. Yuk. :mad:

the novice

The Novice by Trudi Canavan, the first book was promising but the second seemed to drag a little and as yet I'm struggling to finish it.

Haunted : Chuck Palahniuk

I like to think I've got a pretty open mind and am not too easily shocked. This book was just plain gross. Gave up after about 3 chapters, not a pleasant read, just shock-fest. more Chuck yee-uk than Chuck Palahniuk.

Yeah, that book was garbage, and im a fan of chuck.

The only one that comes to mind is "Chronicles" by Bob Dylan. I am a HUGE Dylan fan, so i don't understand why I couldn't get into it.

I gave up on Dhalgren by Samuel Delaney after about 200 pages. My wife read it a few years later and loved it. I just could not form any kind of coherent picture in my mind and had to abort.

The Maias, by Eça de Queiroz - it was a book I was supposed to have read for school, but I just couldn't finish it. I still plan to read it one day, but not any time soon.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, by Friedrich Nietzsche - I was half way trough it but could make no sense of it. Oh how I hate philosophy...:mad:

I see that James Patterson is the most borrowed author in U.K. libraries. Someone gave me one of his "thrillers" on a recent trip when I ran out of the paperbacks I had brought from home. I found his female characters on the edge of hysteria and his choppy little chapters full of obvious tricks to keep the reader reading. I bailed out with joy when I found another book.

Unless it improves in the next 100 pages or so, I will be adding Madame Bovary to the list.

Unless it improves in the next 100 pages or so, I will be adding Madame Bovary to the list.

I feel your pain I'm 50 pages in and while I don't hate it, I'm not really liking it either, I guess I'm really just indifferent to it. Were it not BOTM I'd chuck it.

I feel your pain I'm 50 pages in and while I don't hate it, I'm not really liking it either, I guess I'm really just indifferent to it. Were it not BOTM I'd chuck it.

That doesn't sound good... I'm getting ready to start that book. I hope it gets better.

That pretty much sums up my feelings so far. I think I'll go ahead and finish it. I don't want to become known as the BOTM quitter. :D

Its wierd so many people naming Anne Rice books- I love her stuff and don't find them hard work... I know a lot of people have a problem with her work including my wife. There's one book I started to read and left it for a while- when I went back to it I realised that I couldn't remember a damned thing that had happened....'The Trick Is to Keep Breathing' by Janice Galloway. I usually love books about mental health issues but not this one.

I tried reading I also started The Ambassadors by Henry James but I didn't like it so I put it aside and I haven't looked at it since. It's a very nice copy with a green leather cover from The Heritage Press in New York. At least it looks good sitting on my book shelf.

I tried reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky in March and didn't finish it. I was really enjoying it but I was just too tired so my focus was off. I'll get back to it in a few months.

The Princes of Ireland-Edward Rutherfurd
I hate leaving a book unfinished, I really do but this book has been resting for months now half way done.:(

The Princes of Ireland-Edward Rutherfurd
I hate leaving a book unfinished, I really do but this book has been resting for months now half way done.:(

I didn't finish that one either, I tried reading it and the audio book and both just didn't get done.

Back