• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Childhood books

I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was in elementary school. Can't remember any books that I didn't like.

I read and re-read all the Little House Books.. and those Childhood of Famous American bios.. and then I discovered Sonia Bleeker's series on various Native American tribes...I also read Indian Captive by Lois Lenski-numerous times. I still have a 'thing' for historical fiction.

Judy Blume, and Enid Blyton were my favourite authors. I can't think of any that I didn't like. I seem to have become a lot fussier as I've gotten older. :whistling:

I really like threads like this, it just channels your inner-child and takes you back to that "happy moment" of your life.:lol:

My favorites were Ferdinand the Bull and Mike Mulligan & his steamshovel. The former was about a bull that was a big wuss, who liked to smell the flowers all day and lie around lazily under a tree. Long story short, he gets hauled off to a bullfighting arena and is accidentally stung by a bee. He shows great courage and isn't such a wuss after all. The latter featured MaryAnn, a steamshovel who was eventually displaced by diesel shovels and had one big dig off to prove her worth. She dug a basement for a building in record time, but couldn't get out. She then opted for a career as a furnace in the basement with Mike Mulligan as the building's janitor and caretaker. A great story about not knowing where life is going to take you. Not to mention that modern technology is bad, bad!

I loved Goosebumps! My favorites were Deep Trouble and Piano Lessons Can Be Murder. I read those books oh so many times!

We read lots of German classics in school, e.g. by Schiller, Goethe, Lessing,... .
I hated "Die Leiden des jungen Werther" by J.W. von Goethe (The sorrows of the young Werther).
My favorite books in school were "Effi Briest" by Fontane and "Homo Faber" by Max Frisch.

In my freetime I loved the books by Enid Blyton, especially Twins at St. Clare's.

:flowers: Glad you like the thread!!! I was inspired by something my cousin said last week and wanted your thoughts! Currently I'm reading a book called "The 10th Circle" by Jodi Picoult! I think she's a fabulous writer!

I loved Goosebumps! My favorites were Deep Trouble and Piano Lessons Can Be Murder. I read those books oh so many times!

Those were some of my favourites too! I also liked the Cuckoo Clock one... Remember how the clock only went up to the year 2000? At the time I thought I'd never see the year 2000, it seemed so far away. :)

I read everything I could find when I was a kid, so I'll never be able to remember all the books I loved. I really liked the Animorphs series, but one book that stands out was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that now!

Another one I loved was Surréal 3000 par Suzanne Martel. I re-read that one so many times before I learned to read in English.

I liked a lot of the books which are now considered classics:

The Oz books - we had about 15 of them
The Little Colonel series - found them in my grandmother's bookcase
Anything by Louisa May Alcott
The Jungle Books and Just So stories by Kipling

I didn't read any of those books in school. School books usually were too sentimental or too serious.

My all time favorite book that I read when I was younger is called Time Windows by Kathryn Weiss. It is the story of a girl who moves into a new house and there is a doll house in the attic that looks exactly like her house. She peers in through the windows and it takes her into the past. There was an episode of Are you afraid of the dark? with this book as the ghost story they told.

For picture books, my favorites were Wait Til the Moon is Full (I still think of this one as we get closer to a full moon), Caps for Sale, Blueberries for Sal, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, The Little House, Papa Small, The Little Engine That Could, The Circus Baby,Harold and His Purple Crayon, Millions of Cats, and The Five Chinese Brothers. I know I'm forgetting others I loved. I haven't even mentioned all the Seuss goodies...:whistling:

My all time favorite book that I read when I was younger is called Time Windows by Kathryn Weiss. It is the story of a girl who moves into a new house and there is a doll house in the attic that looks exactly like her house. She peers in through the windows and it takes her into the past.

Thank you, I've actually been looking for this book but couldn't remember the title!!

Very early books... I don't remember but I loved The Little Train That Could - that one gave me a lesson I have tried to live much of my life by. In school, I loved the Dick and Jane. I couldn't believe we got to read such fun books in school plus they were all tied up with a sense of accomplishment. Eventually, I read every Nancy Drew book there was and also the series for boys (can't remember the name just now)... The Hardy Boys it was. I remember thinking how silly it was to have some books for boys and some others for girls - my very early feminist leanings.

In childhood, I almost literally grew up on Enid Blyton at one phase. Then there used to be other English books, and Bengali books (me being a Bengali). Enid Blyton - we all know - nothing to introduce. Among the Bengali works, there were the great ones by Satyajit Ray - the Feluda series (Satyajit Ray happens to be the only Indian so far who has won any form of Oscar - he won the Lifetime Oscar for Film Direction, and is easily the most acknowledged film director India has produced ever). Then there was Byomkesh and other ones by Saradindu. There was Sunil Ganguly, Samaresh Basu and all the other classic Bengali writers as Rabindranath Tagore, Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay and so on.

And then, there was comics. Tintin was unbeatable and Asterix was a close second. And the standard Bengali Comics as Nonte Fonte, Hada Bhoda and Batul The Great!

Back