• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Clive Cussler

I read more non-fiction than fiction. Cussler's book The Sea Hunters was fascinating to me. It almost (but not quite) made me want to read some of his fiction.

I haven't read a Cussler book so far. After reading all thes posts, I want to try his books.

Any recommendations for which book should I read first?

I would prefer a not-too-thick book so that in case I don't like the book, I don't repent for spending too much time on it.

Don't forget to add the latest release, THE BLACK WIND, to the list. IMO, it's one of his best works. He does a terrific job of juggling several subplots. It's very Clancy-esque this time. Definitely a read in one sitting, even though I didn't get to bed until almost time to get up! ;)

sanyuja said:
I haven't read a Cussler book so far. After reading all thes posts, I want to try his books.

Any recommendations for which book should I read first?

I would prefer a not-too-thick book so that in case I don't like the book, I don't repent for spending too much time on it.

I wouldn't worry about a thick Cussler Novel, they're all easy reads. A good one to start with is Inca Gold.

Cathy C said:
Don't forget to add the latest release, THE BLACK WIND, to the list. IMO, it's one of his best works. He does a terrific job of juggling several subplots. It's very Clancy-esque this time. Definitely a read in one sitting, even though I didn't get to bed until almost time to get up! ;)

Black Wind was coauthored by Cussler's son. Perhaps his influence gave it that Clancy-esque quality.

I'm thinking about picking up Pacific Vortex. Has anyone read it?

I haven't read any of his works, though I do admit that the book covers are something I never fail to notice. How would you guys explain his work? Is he a Clancy-like military fiction writer by and large? I've looked at some sites about him, but haven't been able to pin him down so to speak. :)

SFG75 said:
I haven't read any of his works, though I do admit that the book covers are something I never fail to notice. How would you guys explain his work? Is he a Clancy-like military fiction writer by and large? I've looked at some sites about him, but haven't been able to pin him down so to speak. :)

Cussler's books are more 007 type stuff then military fiction except the hero isn't a spy, he works for NUMA.

Robert said:
Cussler's books are more 007 type stuff then military fiction except the hero isn't a spy, he works for NUMA.

Hmmmmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to give Cussler a try the next time I'm at the book store. Thanks.

Robert said:
Ever notice that Cussler seems to have a thing for red heads?
Or any other beautiful and intelligent woman. ;) Dirk Pitt always seems to get the girl.

dele said:
Or any other beautiful and intelligent woman. ;) Dirk Pitt always seems to get the girl.

Maybe it's me, but seems like almost all of his beautiful/intelligant woman have hair that is some shade of red.

Robert said:
Maybe it's me, but seems like almost all of his beautiful/intelligant woman have hair that is some shade of red.
Yep, a lot of them do. You're probably right about that being Clive Cussler's dream woman.

Carlos said:
I think Cussler’s Dirk Pitt is his alter-ego, ie what he would like to be.

I used to think that, too. But who rescues the hero when he's in a snag? Cussler of course. What a funny guy.

Woo-hoo!

Well, decided to take the plunge and actually bought a CC book today. I purchased Valhalla Rising. The other titles looked quite interesting and I had a hard time deciding which one to read first. Sahara was also there as well, the cover had something on it about it becoming a movie some time soon.

Almost done with my current book-can't wait to start on VR some time soon!.

Sahara is already out as a film. I wouldn't rush though:

"a slack, mindless piece of work" (Philip French, The Observer)

"It wears off after a few hours, leaving you face-down in a pool of stagnant Diet Coke" (Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian)

"The source for this cheerfully stupid desert romp is Clive Cussler, and I hear the book is even stupider, which seems scarcely plausible ... The slight snag is that it's useless. The hero's a bore; the comic relief isn't comic; and when in doubt, which is often, Eisner just rolls out the boozy jukebox numbers to persuade us we're having the high old time we really aren't. Sahara is National Treasure with even less satirical intelligence. Dumb fun's one thing, but dumb and no fun?" (Tim Robey, Daily Telegraph)

"It was only a matter of time, then, before the stupidly named Dirk Pitt, hero of several pulpy novels by Clive Cussler, was given a cinematic excuse to romp around the dunes of West Africa ... In case you hadn't guessed, Sahara ain't about to redefine the dune-adventure sub-genre. In fact, it's a bit rubbish, really." (Dan Jolin, Empire)

SFG75 said:
Well, decided to take the plunge and actually bought a CC book today. I purchased Valhalla Rising. The other titles looked quite interesting and I had a hard time deciding which one to read first. Sahara was also there as well, the cover had something on it about it becoming a movie some time soon.

Almost done with my current book-can't wait to start on VR some time soon!.

Valhalla Rising isn't one of his better books, but I think you'll enjoy it.

I haven't seen the Movie Sahara. When a movie is so bad that the author of the book it was based on is sewing, that says something. I did read the book and I enjoyed it very much.

Back