• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Continents

How many continents are there on this planet?

Votes: 10 76.9%

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joderu95

Apparently it is not agreed upon how many continents exist on Earth so let us go ahead and decide right here, right now.

Depends on if you're thinking of geography, geology or history, I suppose. If we say a continent is a landmass more or less surrounded by water, then I make it six today; Eurasia, Africa, North and South America, Antarctica and Australia.

I'm going with beer good's answer and splitting Europe and Asia into two continents because I was taught seven in school.

Continents-equator2.gif

I was taught that we have 7, however, I always fought the good fight and argue that there is only 6. I do not consider Europe and Asia to be separate.
I always teach my kids to "Question Authority"

I could live with six. Perhaps even five. No less than that though.

I just hope this never shows up as a Final Jeopardy question: What is Seven? (or six, or five).

I would like to hear from some Muscovites to find out if they feel like they live in Europe, Asia, Eurasia or what.

To me continent is strictly a geographical term and water is not necessarily the determining factor (although it does generally show the boundaries of the continents). This is why I agree with those who say Russia exists in both Asia and Europe and is divided by the Ural Mountains.

I went with 7.

Or a better question, why is India not a continent? At least they've got their own tectonic plate, unlike Europe...

Back