• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

The Longest Raid of the Civil War: Little-Known & Untold Stories of Morgan's Raid into Kentucky, Indiana, & Ohio BY Lester V. Horwitz

I've had this on my shelves for years and only read the bits that suited my needs for research papers in school.

The Lost Executioner, by Nic Dunlop, which is about Comrade Duch the Khmer Pouge executioner. Also Buddha's Prophecy of the Messiah and The Elegant Universe.

Gomorrah-Roberto Saviano
Scarry stuff, like hundred and one way to be killed horribly.
Hardly a Chrismass read, well appart from the red of hemoglobine i s'ppose.

On Writing - Stephen King

I'm really enjoying this book.

I started these books but have put them aside for the moment, until I have time to read them without distractions.

Rocket Men: The Epic Story of the First men on the Moon - Craig Nelson
Still Ugly - Constance Briscoe
Columbine - Dave Cullen

Jack Mathews' The Battle Of Brazil: Terry Gilliam vs Universal Pictures. Very interesting so far. For those who are unfamiliar with the story, it happened back in 1985 that Terry Gilliam had directed a film called Brazil, which he and a lot of other people thought was a masterpiece (they were right) but the head of Universal Pictures, Sid Sheinberg, thought was much too bleak and strange and, well, European. And so he told Terry that they would do him a favour: they would recut the movie for him, since he couldn't see reason, and tack on the happy ending the film obviously needed. To which the former Python, ever the gentleman, responded:
Take the fucking thing and do anything you want with it! Just take my name off and put yours on! 'SID SHEINBERG'S BRAZIL.' It has a nice ring to it!
Whereupon followed the aforementioned battle. It's basically David vs Goliath: one at the time rather unknown director taking on the biggest studio in Hollywood for the right to artistic freedom. And winning. And making one hell of a movie in the process.

Reading an attempted biography of Cleopatra. "Attempted" in the sense that almost everything we know about her was written down by people who didn't like her. Should be fun.

An English Governess in the Court of Siam, by Anna Leonowens, which is the true story from which Anna and the King and The King and I were adapted. Not a very popular book with the government here, which was going to ban it, like they did the aforementioned play and movie, except they figured no one here would read it anyway.

Last week, I finished Karl Menninger's Man Against Himself. I picked it up at a library book sale in my town. The book highlights the self-destructive tendencies of man and relates it to the phenomenon of suicide and other injurious behavior.

I have started reading New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. Meditation is very big here of course and my wife is Buddhist and big into this so I decided to try it and it is very helpful and relaxing. I am not Buddhist however so I found book in library here written by Christian monk Merton and it is very interesting and I believe even non-religious people would enjoy it.

I have started reading New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. Meditation is very big here of course and my wife is Buddhist and big into this so I decided to try it and it is very helpful and relaxing. I am not Buddhist however so I found book in library here written by Christian monk Merton and it is very interesting and I believe even non-religious people would enjoy it.

A good Christian/Buddhist book is Thich Nhat Hanh's Living Buddha, Living Christ. I enjoy books like that which are eclectic and that have the richness of more than one tradition. If you would like to expand it even further, check out Two Suns Rising by Jonathan Star.:flowers:

The Glass Castle-Jeanette Walls

How was it? I briefly thought about buying that one instead of the Book of the Month for March, which I for some reason thought was Three Cups of Tea. Then I realised it was Water for Elephants, but the bookstore didn't haveit. So I ended up buying Tuesdays with Morrie, which is the non-fiction I'm reading right now.

I looked for the Thich Nhat Hanh book at used bookstores but so far no luck. SFG I have 2 books which you might find interesting. Buddha's Prophecy for the Messiah by Inta Chantavongsouk and Buddhism and the Claims of Christ by D.T.Niles.

Back