• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Non-fiction based on what many believe to be fact. The author is quoted as saying if he were to take away the story line and write a non-fiction book nothing would have changed. I personally dont know. But I do know the book was an ABSOLUTELY GREAT READ!

cabrasopa said:
Just finished 'The Da Vinci Code' , fast paced thriller, good read, nothing more.

Cabrasopa :cool:

Me too. It was really awesome. I'm getting Angels and Demons tomorrow.

hi there,i've found many of the points people have made interesting but at the end of the day we must accept that the divinci code,and all of mr brown's books,are cracking good reads!! They may not all be correct and there are mistakes throughout but that is the whole point,that IS what is great about fiction, the abililty to bend history,fact and truth to suit the plot. sorry for the rant!! If anyone does like this theme please try ADEPT by robert finn,you will not be dissapointed,and to say that this is his debut novel i think it holds its own with any of the other heavyweights in this field.

stones said:
at the end of the day we must accept that the divinci code,and all of mr brown's books,are cracking good reads!!

We don't need to accept any such thing. The Da Vinci Code, in my opinion, was anything but a "cracking good read". The author can't write - that immediately spoils any enjoyment. Getting through his tripe was a struggle.

They may not all be correct and there are mistakes throughout but that is the whole point,that IS what is great about fiction, the abililty to bend history,fact and truth to suit the plot.

Yes there are mistakes - not a problem. The problem then? Confronted with a lot of the crap spouted in the book the author maintains that it is all true. The thing at the front that declares stuff as fact is wrong.

sorry for the rant!!

If you had any commitment to your side of the argument then you wouldn't apologise.

If anyone does like this theme please try ADEPT by robert finn
I saw this in Borders and was tempted. I might still look it up as its the first recommendation I've seen on the book. Haven't checked Amazon reviews yet. The only thing that annoyed was that the cover contained the typical marketing blurb something along the lines of bla bla bla The Da Vinci Code. The last book I bought that mentioned The Da Vinci Code on the cover was The Rule of Four in hardback - it was dire. Two guys writing a novel (a coming of age tale) which didn't go anywhere. Absolute dross.

:)

I must confess that I read this book and whilst i spotted quite a few plot flaws I really enjoyed it. Admittedly, I ended up skipping over certain chunks of text as I didn't need to know the exact measurements of things, which way the wind was blowing, or what the old woman on the bus had for breakfast (jk) but all in all it kept me enthralled all throughout.

Granted, the fact page should not be at the front and I believe this is a huge part of what has lead to so much conflict and discussion. Also, I agree that it's obvious Mr Brown had not done the meticulous level of research he claims he has, but remove these factors and you still have a book which, if taken as a 100% work of fiction, many people find highly readable. Also, I feel any book which can cause such high levels of discussion can only be a good thing.

Sar said:
Also, I feel any book which can cause such high levels of discussion can only be a good thing.

Not when so many actually think Browns "facts" are real facts. Read the following quote.

Stewart said:
The best bit about this is, if you visit some forum related to this topic, there are those who says that Dan Brown must have been telling the truth and the fact that the Priory has been outed as a hoax is only to ensure that people think it is a myth so that the real Priory can go about their almighty task.

i just finished it, and i think it could be true and it could be false, but either way it was a good book! i like his style and the way he cuts short to the important things.
bye

I read this book when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's fiction, it's a great story, and Brown's ideas made me think. Love when a book makes me think.
Apparently the book made alot of people think and a whole lot of them did not like it one bit. The fact that it has scared so many people is mind-boggling, and in my opinion, only added credibility to Brown's ideas. Why is the catholic church so scared of a fictional novel? Why was there a book written to de-bunk fiction? I don't understand how people can be so offended by this book.
There is alot of talk about DVC on catholic web sites mostly by angry/scared people, some saying do not read this book. Around Christmas they were warning not to buy this book as gifts, and if they do to forewarn the reader of what they may encounter. Who would've thought that one person's fictional tale could rattle the church in such a big way.
I wonder why people get so offended by the idea of Jesus, a man, being married or being intimate with a woman. To me, it seems odd that a man would NOT be interested in a woman. As a woman, I'm offended that they are offended lol. Here again, it lends credence to Brown's story line about the Catholic church and their feelings about the role of women in the church.
Life imitates Art. Yup
There's my two cents.

shmookiedoo said:
Apparently the book made alot of people think

It made me think too. Where's the bin? I thought.

The fact that it has scared so many people is mind-boggling,

I think 'scared' is not the best word. Upset, maybe.

only added credibility to Brown's ideas.

Brown doesn't have any ideas. He's recycled the central 'findings' of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail as a piece of fiction. The authors of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail have even admitted they just made up their own conclusions based on flimsy and/or no evidence at all and that they were misled over the history behind the Priory of Sion. They've kept quiet now, of course since their book has started becoming a big seller again.

Why is the catholic church so scared of a fictional novel?

The Catholic Church is not scared of the novel. It has stated it finds the ideas within as being blasphemous. Of course, anything that doesn't confirm with the teachings of the Catholic Church is blasphemous. Even natural stuff such as sex can be considered blasphemous by that bunch of diddies.

Why was there a book written to de-bunk fiction?

To jump on a bandwagon and make money for the author. Seeing the sales of the book and knowing the "facts" within were a lot of rubbish it makes sense to make a few (million) dollars by writing an antithesis to it.

There is alot of talk about DVC on catholic web sites mostly by angry/scared people, some saying do not read this book.

Hearsay. Catholics have their spiritual lives dictated to them and have had so done for years. I have to question somebody's faith if they feel this shoddy book can make them question it.

Who would've thought that one person's fictional tale could rattle the church in such a big way.

Not the Church but the congregation.

And that's just the silly south of France theory. You should see their opinion on the more plausible Yuz Asaf/Issa/Jesus in Kashmir theory. At least that has physical evidence.

Is saying nothing really so much worse than saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again (ad infinitum)?

Cheers

Stewart said:
Catholics have their spiritual lives dictated to them and have had so done for years. I have to question somebody's faith if they feel this shoddy book can make them question it.
I think that's the whole deal here. Everyone has their spiritual life dictated to them, not just Catholics. I think most people get by with only small ideological or theological variations on what they've been spoon fed. After reading this book, I think a lot of people had to read some more to find out what was fiction and what wasn't. Faith does hang by a thread, and when someone introduces contrary ideas, people have to find answers. Hence, the creation of the DaVinci Code Revealed market. I don't think it's the whole goddess worship coverup idea, which is a bunch of fluff from what I've read, that made people reassess what they believe (although by reading this thread I'm probably wrong). I think it was the presentation of the Gnostic Scriptures as a credible source and the way he presented the idea that Christianity, like every other religion, evolved. People didn't realize there were other writings dating back to the time of Christ that have some legitimacy and were ignored, even suppressed, citing the burning of the library at Alexandria. I also think it was a little bit of a shocker for people to hear that some of the "sacred" days in Christianity could be historically linked to pagan festivals. It's the same thing that's going on in Africa right now. The Catholic Church is growing rapidly, but the religion is picking up some traditional African flare as it snowballs. To sum it up, I think the problem people have with his book is that he presented Christianity as being just another religion with questionable beginnings.

Questioning religion doesn't bother me, but the fact that there are plenty of people who took it all for truth does. If Brown believes it all, fine, but all these people following him? No. Stewart can push the UN for DaVinci Code Awareness Day to be observed all over the planet. The message will be spread that fiction is fiction, even when sprinkled with tidbits of truth, covered in a thin, spicy conspiracy sauce.

i've read it, and read this whole thread, and still don't get it. why is this book soooo popular? my own theory is that it is a mass market mystery novel like so many other mass market mystery novels whose authors i won't name because some people really like those types of books.(not that there is anything wrong with that) it was very formulaic, like a harlequin romance. we were introduced, a little throw up of info on the page, a little action, a little more throw up of info, a little more action etc etc.
i think it was an easy read, a beach book that had some controversy and just managed to hit the stands at the right time. i would recommend it as a passing curiosity, to see what all the fuss was about. but i am certain that there are better books, more accurate stories on similar topics that are far more controversial, but just lacked that consummer appeal.

yeah, it's cool as long as you can bare in mind that it is a work of fiction and that it completely rips the face off of christianity.

jenngorham said:
it was very formulaic . . . we were introduced, a little throw up of info on the page, a little action, a little more throw up of info, a little more action etc etc. . . . i think it was an easy read, a beach book that had some controversy . . . i would recommend it as a passing curiosity, to see what all the fuss was about. but i am certain that there are better books, more accurate stories on similar topics that are far more controversial, but just lacked that consummer appeal.
That's pretty much the way I feel, but I would have spelled consumer with one m. Just pickin' on ya, Jenn.

I read Crichton in high school, and Dan's lecture voice reminds me of Crichton.

Back