• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

RitalinKid said:
That's pretty much the way I feel, but I would have spelled consumer with one m. Just pickin' on ya, Jenn.

you wanna know something soooo sad? i looked at consumer and went hmmmmm, i think that needs another m and went back and "corrected" it.
lmao :D

I was looking at hmmmmm and was thinking hmmm, that's two more of the letter m than I would have used. :D

This truly is the Never Ending Thread! Hurrah!

This still remains the most popular book in my 'library'. The kids love it!

Consequently I have banned it.

"They don’t gotta burn tha books they just remove ’em." - Rage Against The Machine from "Bulls On Parade" off Evil Empire

Confused Author

:cool: After reading The Da Vinci Code, I thought to myself, "hmm... a mix of James Patterson and Michael Crichton". The book bounces back between those two authors' styles of writing: one chapter you flip through quickly, fast action sequences and such (Patterson); the next you ponder the science and research (Crichton). Christians probably hate the book, but you learn a lot about Da Vinci and his ultra-secret life. There is an interesting subject brought up in the book: Sarah...

sirmyk said:
Christians probably hate the book

Hey! The atheists aren't too keen either.

I thought 'Dan Brown' would have added to the swear filter by now. The only way to settle this argument is a giant rumble with chains and knives and ferrets and stuff. Any one who likes Dan Brown can wear red, the rest of us will wear blue. We'll meet after school today round the back of McDonalds.

Regarding Brown, again and "his ideas" thats just it ... none of them are his ideas, they have just been presented in a way for masses to comprehened within Brown's sophmoric prose and structure. The same information, that Brown is using to shock people in layman's terms now, were already masterfuly put in a terrific novel Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, and to a lesser extent (as far as quality) but more on the info some 20 years ago in Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which also created the same type of stir, and has to be the absolute foundation of Brown's work. No research required, all he did was put in a language more accesible to a huge buying segment that would normally read the other cheap thrillers (Clancy etc) but would not read a book by Eccho because his writing is dense.

Brown deserves kudoz for the marketing, and choosing his angle, but absoluteling nothing for any ideas, or his "Jack and Jill" like prose.

Davinci Code is recomednable to teens as a great and mildy entertaining thriller, for those looking for a good book, by a real author who is writing for adults, I suggest Focault's Pendulum by Eco

Just my opinion however:)

In response to Jenn, the reason it's so popular is because nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Just read this thread through and nice to see that the balance of opinion has gradually swung around from it's good to it's crap. One Amazon reviewer seemed to hit it on the head when he said:

As a thriller it is third rate. As a piece of imaginative literature it doesn't even register on the scale. As a historical document it appears to be riddled with errors and trivialities, but frankly I don't care. Who would seriously turn to a cheap work of fiction for commentary on the Holy Grail? No, the only interesting question is, "What book have the rave reviewers been reading?" Certainly not the one I read.

Here is another thoughtful review.

The last book I finished reading

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Yes, I know I'm a little slow in just having read this :p ). I really liked the fast pace of this book, and the appearance of "twists" at every turn. Presents some interesting theories that made me itch to end the book and join discussion forums on the topics raised :)

~Monkey Catcher~

I've been wanting to try and read the DaVinci code too. But I don't want to buy a hardcover(too much $$$) and the waiting list at the library is too long. So when the heck is this book gonna come out in paperback?? Or should I just go and get Angels and Demons instead since it's out in pb already????

mr_michel said:
i dont know where do you live
but i bought the paperback edition easily over a year ago in an airport store

Although the paperback came out over a year ago in most civilised countries the capitalist machine of America is still selling the hardcover edition although it's expected that the paperback edition will finally arrive just prior to the release of The Da Vinci Code movie in May 2006.

jaycee, if you want to read it that bad you'll probably find it cheaper to order it from the Canadian domain of Amazon.

"jaycee, if you want to read it that bad you'll probably find it cheaper... "

If you want to read it cheaper I can't believe a family member does not have it yet, or a neighbor, or a co-worker...or the library....As many copies that have been sold in this world I'm sure you can find a copy to borrow...that's the best way to get it in my opinion....free...

It's not that I want to read it so bad. I just want to see what all the fuss is about this guy!! Oh well...maybe I will get on the loooong waiting list at the library.

Back