• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Only if they discovered the mystery behind the grail only to loose all the evidence at the end and nobody believes anything they say. Ever.

SillyWabbit said:
Only if they discovered the mystery behind the grail only to loose all the evidence at the end and nobody believes anything they say. Ever.

yeah for sure the cigarrete man would had the girl and her grandma kill, and adopt the little brother :cool:

And a good thing too!

Should have stuffed grandma with high exlposives and take out everybody in a climatic final!

I've just finished reading The Da Vinci Code. To be honest, I really enjoyed it, but I don't have a very high opinion of Dan Brown's writing. It just didn't seem worthy of publishing! That sounds a little harsh, but my honest opinion is that there is nothing outstanding about his work and it is the plot that holds it together.

Next on my list is Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman's Long Way Round.

I thought the book was quite good. OK, the characters were very two dimentional, but the plot was very fast paced and the mysteries that were uncovered (although this is not the first book to uncover these) were astounding. I have even created a forum specifically to discuss the theories behind the book. Da Vinci Code Forum

Dan Browns other book, 'Angles and Demons' was almost a carbon copy of 'The Da Vinci Code' however and the ending ruined it for me completely.

regards,

Steve
www.davincicodeforum.com

intersimi said:
Dan Browns other book, 'Angles and Demons' was almost a carbon copy of 'The Da Vinci Code' however and the ending ruined it for me completely.

1. He has written more than two books so calling it his other book rather than another of his books is incorrect;
  2. The book was called Angels and Demons;
  3. The Da Vinci Code was a carbon copy of Angels and Demons and not the other way around.

;)

Just finished The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I quite enjoyed the story; it was a page-turner, but his style irritated me and I don't think I will be buying any more of his. At least I've seen what all the fuss is about now.

*Phew!* Have just waded through fifteen pages of posts. I finished this last night, so thought I'd add my own two-pennorth.

I quite enjoyed The Da Vinci Code. It kept my interest throughout, and I found all the symbolism in paintings etc very interesting, and may do more research on all that when I have the time. I don't know whether this is factually correct, but I enjoyed reading about the sacred feminine, and how the catholic church and others changed everything to a patriarchal religion (anything that paints the catholic church in a bad light is fine by me).

Irritations:
1. Dan Brown's writing style. His characterisation is almost non-existent, but I guess he felt that would slow down the action. He deals in stereotypes - the beautiful and brilliant woman :rolleyes: in a man's world, the English eccentric. Speaking of which...
2. The name Teabing. I have read earlier that it is an anagram of Baigent, but my mind refused to read it as anything other than Teabag throughout the book!
3. Sloppy research. I don't know about all the Grail "facts", but calling the hand-brake the "emergency brake", football "soccer" and getting things wrong about the British police and right-hand drive cars in Europe bugged me.
4. Brown obviously read a "How to write a thriller" book and took the advice about ending every chapter on a cliff-hanger to keep the reader reading too much to heart.
5. The irritating way there were huge "info dumps", which were often patronising in tone.
6. Sophie's reaction to what she saw happening in the rite irritated me. OK, she was shocked, but she was home from university, so was an adult, yet
two people shagging
made her cut off all communication with her beloved grandfather, the person who brought her up and her only living relative
(as far as she knew).
I thought she must have witnessed them sacrificing a baby or something.

However, it was an entertaining read of its type, but it certainly isn't as great as the hype would have you think. I won't be buying another Dan Brown. In fact, based on the recommendations here, I might just try Foucault's Pendulum.

He is a good Author.I like his books.Even if they are similar at the begining,but cant that be a style of an author to start his story.

HALO anything that paints the catholic church in a bad light is fine by me).

What exactly do you mean by this. Surely you must resign your post. [Deleted a nasty insult]

Halo said:
4. Brown obviously read a "How to write a thriller" book and took the advice about ending every chapter on a cliff-hanger to keep the reader reading too much to heart.
I completely agree Halo. The only reason why I didnt want to leave the book midway was because I wanted to know what happens next. Sheer curiosity!

Halo said:
However, it was an entertaining read of its type, but it certainly isn't as great as the hype would have you think.
Ditto!

Halo said:
I won't be buying another Dan Brown.
You bet ;)

blueboatdriver said:
What exactly do you mean by this. Surely you must resign your post. You complete arsehole.

The Catholic Church is an abomination. It promotes ills in the world and is more interested in acquiring wealth than promoting goodwill. As many people die of starvation and famine in Africa the Catholic Church sits on a fortune that could be put to use to help relieve the pain of the ills that beset this region of the world but instead, through its vessel, the Pope (or Antichrist, depeninding on your view) it only offers prayer and faith which helps in no way whatsoever. If prayer was helpful then Pope John Paul II would not require all these visits to hospital he's had of late; he could just pray for himself and promote prayer unto him for cascading down through the hierarchy.

Again, citing Africa as an example, the Catholic Church sends its missionaries to Africa and teaches against contraception which is one of the major factors Africans in the rise of the AIDS epidemic. These people need education of contraception, not pro-life bullshit.

The Catholic Church holds hypocritical views. It's stance is completely against homosexuality yet there's always some story in the news of Catholic priests being outed for homosexual (and sometimes paedophile) practices. They say that homosexuality is unnatural yet the powers that be within Catholicism take a vow of celibacy. Celibacy is a life choice but it is also unnatural - and on a par with homosexuality - in that neither encourage procreation, one of the fundamental acts of life. Or God's will, if you want to call it that.

And now, to blueboatdriver, I think your insult upon Halo was uncalled for. You don't know Halo's circumstances. They may be Catholic themselves, or a former Catholic that has become disillusioned by the ridiculous icon worship, or they may just have a stance against Catholicism. So, calling them an 'arsehole' is ignorant.

It's probably a knee-jerk reaction from yourself, no doubt a staunch Catholic, but it goes to demonstrate the ignorance of the Catholic Church if, indeed, you are a subscriber. It is a solipsistic tenet and is not tolerant of others or willing to accept the beliefs of others. There's no harmony within it.

:mad:

Back