• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

I have just finished The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown which i really enjoyed ,i found it really made you think about what he had written! :)

it may not be very literary, but i LOVED The Da Vinci Code, my wife and I read very very very different books, and this was a book that we both enjoyed immensely. We bought the Illustrated Edition, and then bought the Ill Ed of Angels and Demons too. Though, reading Angel and Demons, you could see that they were a little formulaic, they follow a definate pattern.

I love that book

Hi Darren
i love that book, have you read the Left behind series by Tim LaHaye? Google it and read about it, and if u want to read them just mail me and ill send u the books by mail... :)

no book is perfect, and everyone has their opinion. i finished the book and loved it because of the action, and all the information i received as well as what the book was about(the "controversial issue") although the italics annoyed me, nothing else didn't. i loved figuring it all out! i liked the action, fast pace and riddles, and it think the book is really good, although some things are inaccurate, but when you use the amount of information that he does, you're bound to make some mistakes.

I agree with you Hermione on some of those points. To me, the controversial non-fiction(or was it fiction?) parts of it are what makes it an interesting read. I'm somewhat of a conspiracy buff and it's an entertaining read to take that normally staid material and to make a story out of it that holds your attention. Yes, it's not Thoreau, Dostoyevsky, or Nabokov. Not many books are. With that being said, it has it's own strengths. I am under no illusion that Dan Brown is a flash in the pan, but I'm also not a blind follower and know that this book does have a compelling storyline.

I read this book two years ago and didn't find it especially memorable. First of all, I am not a Christian and know next to nothing about Christian beliefs or practices. I found it a moderately interesting and thought-provoking read. Some of things my Christian friends found shocking (Jesus having a child!? :eek:. What blasphemy!!) I just accepted and glossed over without caring all that much. I really don't know the whole story of Jesus and his virginity or lack thereof. But did like the puzzles and riddles. They were very interesting to follow, and, even if some of the conclusions were very farfetched, they were ingenious (I must agree that that one disciple of Jesus did look like a woman. I don't know if that comment will send me to hell or not ;)) and very intriguing. But few of them were based on hard evidence, and I'm not saying I believe them, because I do not believe any of this stuff one way or another. I don't understand why the public is so worked up about it. There's a reason it's in the fiction section. :D

The Da Vinci Code

As is in the words of the lovely Dorothy Parker, "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

No offense to anyone who likes Dan Brown's book, but I believe it to be a load of shite. My friends hounded me to read it. I bought it while waiting at Charles DeGaulle and the first page of the book was an indication of how bad it was going to be.

I'm not an academic, nor a writer, but I can tell bad writing when I read it. And the Davinci Code is on the top of the list of bad literature.

I thinks what offends me the most is the mass appeal this book has with people. Now I truly understand the term "pop-culture". This is pop-culture at it's best.

Nothing wrong with escapism from time to time. All serious reading and no play makes Jack.........very dour. I agree that it wasn't written the best in a literary sense. At the same time, conspiracy theories are somewhat of a pet interest of mine and Brown did do his homework in that regard(i.e.-Opus Dei) The book kept my attention and it was interesting to read it after everyone here talked about the inaccuracies-things such as the roads being in the wrong location, etc. Definitely a book that will be remembered not so much for its greatness, but rather, the controversy that it has created.

It's about time someone started a thread about this book.

;)

Anyway, the 14-year-old daughter of a friend of mine is thinking of reading it. I read the first page to her, and she thought the action in the first few paragraphs was "clever" and "neat." I pointed out the errors in the writing, but her grammar and vocabulary just aren't there yet to recognize the problems. So who am I to pressure her not to read it?

Mari? you let grammar stand in the way of a good read?

and really, raffaellabella, just what was wrong with this book in your esteemed opinion? why have you relegated the book to the stacks of bad literature? did you read past the first page?

zen said:

and really, raffaellabella, just what was wrong with this book in your esteemed opinion? why have you relegated the book to the stacks of bad literature? did you read past the first page?

Have you read any other books? And Harry Potter does not count!

zen said:
Yes.

I admit I bristle at the question, but that doesn't mean it should be dismissed out of hand. First of all, notice the book I'm currently reading. Omigod, does she have my number.

Also, I think grammar, style, logic, consistency, etc., reflect on the credibility of a book. If both the author and editors gave these things a pass, what else were they lazy about? Plot holes? Will the story fall apart at some point?

What's more, I'm a professional editor. I don't turn my internal editor off when I read. Every book is a working holiday for me.

My all-time favorite book, Huckleberry Finn, is interesting in this regard because even though the dialect is very heavy, the sentence construction, etc., isn't actually wrong. Take a look at it sometime and you'll see what I mean.

I don't care what some post about forum etiquette says...

Here's what others have had to say about this book:

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=1209&highlight=vinci+code

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=6175&highlight=vinci+code

I got this using the search function.

Feel free to have another conversation, but understand when the responses are kinda low, that this book has been discussed to death for the last few years. People are not neccessarily ignoring your post, but are perhaps, just worn out with this topic.

Happy Monday

Mari said:
Yes.
What's more, I'm a professional editor. I don't turn my internal editor off when I read. Every book is a working holiday for me.

good enough... :) must spoil a lot of books for you tho....

zen said:
must spoil a lot of books for you tho...

Only the bad ones, presumably. (Just to recap on yesterday's lesson: any book that's badly written is a bad book.) And they were spoiled before mari or anyone else opened them.

mari - off topic i know.. but i wondered... chatting online with a group of americans one day, another aussie came into chat, and we took off with the conversation - long story short - the americans commented amongst themselves at how different our grammar was to theirs.. do you take that difference between countries into account when you condemn bad grammar?

Back