• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

He has written another book under the pseudonym of John Twelve Hawks

I know this is a pet theory of yours Stewart, but do you really think it's true? I mean really really?

Shade said:
I know this is a pet theory of yours Stewart, but do you really think it's true? I mean really really?

I opened it in a bookshop and it was dreadful; and, coming from where it has, you can't help but feel he's been asked to produce something else in the meantime to get him away from thinking Langdon thoughts.

Stewart said:
  • Since The Solomon Key is set in America he'll actually have to pay attention to his stupid little facts, for then America will truly see that he hasn't a clue about research and makes it up instead.

Oh boy! A book version of National Treasure! The sad reality is that many Americans know very little about their own history and probably won't know the difference between actual fact and Dan Brown fact.

mehastings said:
Oh boy! A book version of National Treasure! The sad reality is that many Americans know very little about their own history and probably won't know the difference between actual fact and Dan Brown fact.

Lucky for me my step-dad's a history teacher, I get all the details. It's like living with Stewart :D

But I do think Angels & Demons is best.

It'll be a very thin book if Robert Langdon can't smile when he considers people's surprise when he tells them that American football was invented by a Canadian. This thought, of course, would happen through a chase - because there's always time for nostalgia when panicked.

Stewart said:
It'll be a very thin book if Robert Langdon can't smile when he considers people's surprise when he tells them that American football was invented by a Canadian. This thought, of course, would happen through a chase - because there's always time for nostalgia when panicked.

good one, Stewart! That reminds me of scenes where a person's life flashes before their eyes, when they're going to die. Believe you me, when you think you're going to die, there ain't enough time for a retrospective. When I almost got T-boned by a car that ran a red light as I was going through an intersection, I only had time to think, "oh God, this is going to hurt". Sorry for the digression-please continue. I shouldn't be in this thread anyway-I am proud to say I am a Dan Brown virgin, not having read anything he wrote.

Ronny said:
Lucky for me my step-dad's a history teacher, I get all the details. It's like living with Stewart :D

I met a man in a bar who claimed to be an AP History teacher. He seemed fairly knowledgable, so I took his word for it. He overheard my friends and I talking about Catholicism and told us that we should read Dan Brown because "he's one of the best writers ever to write about religious history". My friends smiled, knowing this guy was in for a verbal beating, which he sure got. Just goes to show, that not every historian knows all the details. Of course, if your step-dad is like Stewart...

I am actually really happy that I read Angels & Demons and DaVinci Code. I'll probably read the next one too. It's fun to pick the books apart and then rag on random Langdon fans in bars.

Yep, my step-dad, is like an encyclopedia, history is his passion (I told him about Stewart's site) and I'm not sure that he has read Dan Brown but I'm afraid to ask. I don't have that much time to hear him explain everything that was wrong, it's not good to get him that worked up.

Miss Shelf said:
I am proud to say I am a Dan Brown virgin, not having read anything he wrote.
How can you not like him if you havn't even read anything by him? I don't think that it's really anything to be 'proud' about either.. why not just give him a chance and see what you think for yourself? Granted, he's not the best writer around, but I still found his books enjoyable.

I too have to admit that I didn't mind his books (though I did find Digital Fortress difficult to get into). They're good if you're after something with a bit of action, but no thought process required on your behalf. I actually preferred Da Vinci Code over Angels and Demons, but maybe that's because I read them in that order.

MonkeyCatcher said:
How can you not like him if you havn't even read anything by him? I don't think that it's really anything to be 'proud' about either.. why not just give him a chance and see what you think for yourself? Granted, he's not the best writer around, but I still found his books enjoyable.
The viginity pride contains some issues. If she ever decides to pick up a Dan Brown book, the entire time she is reading she will be thinking "This book sucks, everyone thinks this book sucks, Dan Brown is the devil, worst writer ever (in Simpsons' Comic Guy voice), I hate this book, why am I reading this book," and even if she ends up liking the book, the pride she carried before reading Mr. Brown will destroy her daVirgin code.

sirmyk said:
The viginity pride contains some issues. If she ever decides to pick up a Dan Brown book, the entire time she is reading she will be thinking "This book sucks, everyone thinks this book sucks, Dan Brown is the devil, worst writer ever (in Simpsons' Comic Guy voice), I hate this book, why am I reading this book," and even if she ends up liking the book, the pride she carried before reading Mr. Brown will destroy her daVirgin code.
Agreed. I think that people just need to get rid of this 'pride' and just form their own opinion on something rather than just following what other people say.

From the reviews I've read outside of this forum-not just the opinions, but the content of Brown's books-they just don't seem like something I'm interested in. I think the controversy over "DaVinci Code" made people go out and get it just to see what the fuss was about, reminding me of what happened when "The Satanic Verses" came out. I'm not a book lemming, and I pick and choose what I read according to my personal tastes and what I'm in the mood to read at the moment, whether it's an adventure, classic, fiction, biography, history or whatever. I probably will at some point read "The DaVinci Code". In the meantime I'll refrain from posting in Dan Brown threads because my "virgin" status seems to upset some people, but I still want points for admitting I haven't read any Dan Brown books, I bet there are people who join in a thread without having read a book under discussion-and they don't admit it. :D

I liked Angels and Demons best and Deception Point second best. I've read the other two as well but don't think that I'll read any more of his books in the future. I've grown tired of his "formula" already.

Stewart said:
I strongly advocate that you read none of them and, instead, take them out into a field and burn them since Dan Brown is the clumsiest, poorest excuse for a published author I've ever had the misfortune to read. However, people seem to think Angels & Demons is his best; then they move to the next one and find out that its Angels & Demons with the characters' names changed.
Nah I enjoyed His work, I really like his use of suspense. The book dose suffer because the ending is pertiable, yet that’s only due to the fact that the ending is well known and written about in many other non-fiction books. I still like his style and they way he delivered his punches.

I think that having Clancy in your name nullifies any point you ever try to make. Dan Brown has no style. Also, what does pertiable mean? If it's predictable then it's nothing to do with the ending being much publicised; it's to do with the ending being so obvious.

I'll let you off though on account of your age.

Stewart said:
I think that having Clancy in your name nullifies any point you ever try to make. Dan Brown has no style. Also, what does pertiable mean? If it's predictable then it's nothing to do with the ending being much publicised; it's to do with the ending being so obvious.

I'll let you off though on account of your age.
I am surprised you dont frighten these young kids away with your opinions on Dan Brown! :rolleyes:

Back