• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

Miss Shelf said:
I think the controversy over "DaVinci Code" made people go out and get it just to see what the fuss was about, reminding me of what happened when "The Satanic Verses" came out.

Dan Brown gets compared to Rushdie. Let's discuss. I think it's valid. So many people believed the Davinci Code that the Catholic Church felt compelled to respond. To me that is a literary achievement. One that few writers have achieved. Rushdie is the only other recent writer who I can remember getting a strong response from religious authorities. (Historically, it was very easy to get the church riled up.) I don't agree that Brown has "no style," but even if you take that point of view, IMO it just makes his achievement that much more impressive.

If you want to argue that Brown lacks the literary finesse of say Margaret Atwood fine, but then again, to the best of my knowledge, the Catholic Church has never felt compelled to respond to Ms. Atwood.

Stewart said:
I think that having Clancy in your name nullifies any point you ever try to make. Dan Brown has no style. Also, what does pertiable mean? If it's predictable then it's nothing to do with the ending being much publicised; it's to do with the ending being so obvious.

I'll let you off though on account of your age.
My bad :rolleyes: , i guess your right. I do like the book though. But my fav author is clancy

Forum tidy.

I have merged both Dan Brown threads into one thread. I have also split almost all of the posts of the "What Dan Brown novel should I read first?" thead into the Dan Brown thread because they pertained to discussion of Dan Brown as an author and not which book should be read first.

Somehow I seem to have missed all the hoopla surrounding Dan Brown, the DVC and his other books.
My son bought a copy of DVC to read while we were on holiday this year, a surprise in itself as he rarely reads. My own choice was Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz but that’s for a different thread.
After two days sunbathing I’d finished Koontz and started DVC. It was fast paced, a good story and an engaging and easy read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I did wonder just how accurate some of his locations might be but not enough to be put off. Back from holiday and I’ve now read Angels and Demons and Deception Point and now this thread.
My order of preference <O:p
1)Angels and Demons<O:p
2)Da Vinca Code<O:p
3)Deception Point<O:p
Having read three in relatively quick succession (for me that is) I agree they are a bit formulaic but still enjoyable.
I think Digital Fortress may have to wait till next year as I’m a bit Dan Browned out now:)

<O:p

Doug Johnson said:
Dan Brown gets compared to Rushdie. Let's discuss. I think it's valid. So many people believed the Davinci Code that the Catholic Church felt compelled to respond. To me that is a literary achievement. One that few writers have achieved. Rushdie is the only other recent writer who I can remember getting a strong response from religious authorities. (Historically, it was very easy to get the church riled up.) I don't agree that Brown has "no style," but even if you take that point of view, IMO it just makes his achievement that much more impressive.

If you want to argue that Brown lacks the literary finesse of say Margaret Atwood fine, but then again, to the best of my knowledge, the Catholic Church has never felt compelled to respond to Ms. Atwood.

This has nothing to do with writing skill or even content. If Mr. Browns books had not sold as well as they have the churchies wouldn't care. If the books sold only 100,000 copies or so, still decent, the churchies probably wouldn't even acknowledge it.

A few weeks back, U.S. News & World Report had a giant feature on the Masons in America. I guess that Brown's next book is about them and hints at some of the worse things that have been said about them. While I'm not a Mason, I have some good friends who are and if his portrayal of them is inaccurate, I totally understand why members of the catholic faith would not be happy with him.:(

Miss Shelf said:
ACK!! This thread has been resurrected. Drive a stake through its heart! And delete that spammer's thread, please.

Oh come on, I see you registered at a big Dan Brown forum and have over 2,000 posts there.:p :p

(Warning: The above statement is a joke and is in no way to seriously imply that Miss Shelf likes the works of Dan Brown, reads Dan Brown, or has ever met Dan Brown. Neither is it meant to imply that she has children named "Dan Brown." Nor are her pets named "DaVinci" and
"Code" or "Angel" and "Demon." ):D

Actually, I'm the real Dan Brown. I'm in hiding right now and CDA is nothing more than an Opus Dei imposter who is trying to bring down my works of literary genius as I'm exposing the true history of the church to the world. On top of that, the illuminati is also trying to kill me and is thinking of putting an anti-matter explosive underneath Vatican city and I have until..........oh never mind.:rolleyes:

RaVeN said:
From Deception Point:

1-V-116-44-11-89-44-46-L-51-130-19-118-L-32-118-116-130-28-116-32-44-133-U-130

From Digital Fortress:

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

RaVeN

If you enjoyed that malarky you may enjoy the da vinci code webquest

answers here (if you get stuck)

Wow, looks like old Danny-boy is on the hot seat.

Article

Authors Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh are suing "Da Vinci Code" publisher Random House for copyright infringement, claiming Brown "appropriated the architecture" of their 1982 nonfiction book "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail."

Both books explore theories — dismissed by theologians but embraced by millions of readers — that Jesus married Mary Magdalene, the couple had a child and the bloodline survives.

Any opinions? I'm not certain how you can prove that the idea was "stolen" Is it entirely impossible to have two people writing on the same subject out of a billion plus people on the planet?:confused: :confused:

The interesting thing in that article is the word "nonfiction"; Baigent and Leigh claim that their book follows what actually happened. Which can be debated, obviously. But doesn't this mean that they're trying to claim copyright to (what they claim is) history?

If so, this would open up a huge can of worms. Looking forward to see the heirs to Shakespeare sue HBO for ripping the Bard off when they made "Rome". "Look! They kill off Caesar, just like in the play!" And someone track down the first reporter to write about the "Titanic", his children can make millions suing James Cameron. :D

Stewart said:
The lineage part of Baigent's work is speculation, not history.
True, but aren't they publishing it as a work of non-fiction - ie. they claim it is or may well be a historic fact? The way I understand it, you can only have copyright to something you yourself made up, not something which existed independently of you before you discovered it. Can Pythagoras claim copyright to right triangles, or Newton to gravity?

Never mind. I suppose the court will eventually decide. Either way, both Baigent, Leigh and Brown make a lot of money.

Back