• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

Stewart said:
I'm simply brilliant. ;)

1. The (First) Council of Nicea was won by a very slight margin; :rolleyes:
  2. Mona Lisa was the name given to a painting by Leonardo Da Vinci - it's an anagram of Amon L'Isa :rolleyes:
  3. Pope Clement V had the Templars burned at the stake, and their ashes thrown into the Tiber river in Rome :rolleyes:

There you go - just three of the amazing facts that I learned from reading The Da Vinci Code. Want more?

Good one. :)

Going back on-topic, I read all 4 of Dan Brown's books in the space of a month. While very enjoyable, they all follow the same structure. Plus, I found the ending to Angels and Demons a complete mess. A true 'Hollywood' ending if there ever was one.

Saying that, i'm not going to criticise much because I did enjoy them all and they are great if you are looking for something that zips along at a good pace.

--after reading Da Vinci... & Angels & Demons, his other two books (Digital... & Deception...)became so very predictable, (the guy that got killed, the villain etc..etc..))I hope in his next novel,he will change his writing style.I enjoy reading his books, just like I enjoy the journey,but I was so disappointed with the final destination.

I really enjoyed Dan Brown's books because they were entertaining and they also contained a lot of interesting facts. His two most famous books, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, contain a lot of facts about religion and even cryptology. I was hoping someone could suggest an author with similar books that are entertaining and very educational...?

hi!

Hi pr1008
why dont you try out "Map of bones" by James Rollins, its very similar to "angels & demons"

also Matthew Reilly is coming out with a new book "the 7 ancient wonders" by the end of this year, which stars the 7 wonders of the ancient times

I've read all his books and enjoyed them, alhtough some far more than others.
This is how i rate them in order.

1. Angels & Demons
2. The da Vinci Code
3. Deception Point
4. Digital Fortress

Now, I know its not intellectually fashionable to admit to liking Dan Brown,but I do and I'm looking forward to The Soloman Key.

I think that many pseudo-intellectuals and literaty glitterati like to smear and trample on things which appeal to a large mainstream audience, and I think they often do so out of a kind of intelligentsia based snobbery. If something becomes too popular or common, its no good.

Nobody's saying DB creates works of literature but they are good enjoyable books.

As for people who choose to believe Dan Brown's stories as FACT, I just dont know where to begin. It's a strange phenomenon. The books are clearly works of fiction. The same people wouldnt read Harry Potter and believe it was all true. Theres a definite desire and choice for those who lap it up as gospel and I have my own theories as to the reasons behind it. It certainly suits some people to choose to believe it.

Also, there's no need to try and defend shite. They are certainly not enjoyable, especially if you have knowledge of the things Dan Brown is trying to tell you otherwise.

RobertFKennedy said:
very sorry. this is my 1st time posting so I'm just getting to grips with where everything is.
Bob, don't worry about this. Take your time to get used to everything, not everyone will be able to grasp everything the moment they arrive.

I hope you enjoy your stay here in TBF.

ds

Well said DS.

It's not really important if there are other threads. Anyway, take it easy, enjoy :)

On topic: I liked Dan Brown. It was a fun and easy read. I really wouldn't be tempted to read any more of his books because they seem far to similar to me and the writing, for me, isn't good enough to tempt me to others.

I am probably the only person who hasn't got around to the da Vinci Code yet, but I like those engaging type of thrillers, it sounds intriguiging, so its on my wish list for my next visit to Amazon.

Wabbit said:
Well said DS.

It's not really important if there are other threads. Anyway, take it easy, enjoy :)

On topic: I liked Dan Brown. It was a fun and easy read. I really wouldn't be tempted to read any more of his books because they seem far to similar to me and the writing, for me, isn't good enough to tempt me to others.

Thats exactly it.
It's a bit like when I was about 16 and first started work someone gave me Master of the Game by Sydney Sheldon and I thought it was excellent; if you read The Da Vinci Code before you have read to much else you might think it's a masterpiece (forgive the pun). These type of books have a place and I found them enjoyable , but having read one Dan Brown book his next book would be way down my to read list; Maybe if I was on holiday and it was the only English language book in the shop.
All said; I'm looking foward to the film.

Wow, thank you, I will have to try out Map of Bones....since I did enjoy reading Angel and Demons so much.

RobertFKennedy said:
I think that many pseudo-intellectuals and literaty glitterati like to smear and trample on things which appeal to a large mainstream audience, and I think they often do so out of a kind of intelligentsia based snobbery.

I disagree with this. There are novels that take to mainstream culture and are excellent.

The problem with the Dan Brown novels, and you'll see it being the biggest criticism on Amazon reviews, is that the standard of the writing is exceptionally poor making the only interesting thing about the book is discovering how on earth it made it to a fully published novel. Lines such as Silas prayed for a miracle and little did he know that in two hours he would get one. are laughable and indicative of how Brown is so amateurish.

Then there's the facts that Brown so adamantly defends which I've discussed here before so won't bother with again. And then there's the stupid things that he mentions that are just so glaringly bad:

• describing the facial features of a silhouette;
  • an Englishman saying how he "schooled" at Oxford;
  • an Englishman saying soccer;
  • a French girl going home during spring break;
  • a British knight who seems to be above the law, as if he carries a credit card sized I'm a knight, you can't arrest me thing in his wallet;
  • a French cop landing in England and telling British cops what to do;
  • cops running around with guns in England;
  • the London Police running around with guns - what did the Metropolitan Police have to say about this?
  • monks in Opus Dei, an organisation that doesn't have any monks;
  • apparently you can't arrest an American in France if they are in the American embassy - bullshit!
  • and so an and so forth ad infinitum

Then there's the fact that Dan Brown has read a kids' How the world works style book and wants you to know it as he constantly throws in things unrelated to what there is of a narrative:

• Robert Langdon was always surprised at how few people knew that....
  • Robert enjoyed the look on peoples faces when he told them that....
  • and it just goes on

It's nothing to do with snobbishness or pseudo-intellectualism (that's another kettle of fish) but it is everything to do with literacy - the guy simply can't write and, because people like him, it becomes obvious that literacy standards are certainly slipping. Consider the review where one person states that This book is grate - no, that's what it does!

Back