• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

You know what I find funny? There's no release date for his third Robert Langdon novel The Solomon Key, and yet on Amazon.com and other online booksellers there are many guides and books written about it. Some were even published two years ago!!

I have only read Angles & Demons and The Da Vinci Code. I enjoyed the former best. I am planning on reading his other two novels shortly. :D

The audience also learned that the former prep school English teacher wants to return to the classroom, and that he rarely reads his work when it's done. "The Da Vinci Code" was an exception. "When the galleys came back, I sat down and I read the novel start to finish in one sitting, and I was really happy, really proud of it," Brown said.

"By the way if anybody in the audience would like to sue me, we have forms out back," Brown said. "Just pick one up on your way out."

*Barf*

:mad:

I finally got around to reading 'The Da Vinci Code' this month. The book had been highly recommended to me by several people. In addition, due to the controversy about it on TBF, I felt obliged to read it just to see what all the fuss (both negative and positive) was all about.

I must confess - this book just didn't really do anything for me. I'm not at all religious, so found some of the in-depth explanations quite tedious. I generally love nothing more than a book that makes me think, and I enjoy trying to solve any clues, codes, puzzles etc., in order to arrive at the answers before they're unveiled by the author. However, in this case, I would probably have had more chance if the book was based on nuclear physics than religion and the fine arts.

There was also one section in particular, which was (I would think!) supposed to be quite a nail-biting and tense scene: Without wanting to give too much away for anyone who hasn't read it, one of the main characters was trying to escape from a famous building in Paris...........in a Smart car!!!!!!

Now, I know Europeans like small cars, but the author's description along the lines of 'Sophie gunned the gas pedal', had me laughing so much it hurt!

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be reading any more Dan Brown.

mehastings said:
I've merged a few threads together here. Just so you know...
Thanks mehastings - you're such a doll :D But really, we appreciate the hard work you put in merging and moving threads - it looks so much cleaner now :)

so i saw the movie. it was really ruined by the fact i had read the book, because i sat there the entire time going i know what happens. i mean it wasn't a bad movie, and it got a little boring in parts but it was the book, without the opprunity of figuring out the mystery.

I have no intention to read the books, so i checked inside the book on amazon to see what everybody is talking about in regards to shoddy writing

First line: Robert Langdon awoke slowly :eek:

How can you awake slowly???? A poorly used adjective in a state where it does not make sense

- just to show emphasise the mistake of the adjective. 10 lines below

'he had been asleep an hour' :p

Just wait till I make an apperance on room 101

Dan Brown is a great writer. I have never read a book that has held me in such suspense before da Vinci Code. I've read all the others, and they are all brilliant. Why do people keep questioning the writing - surely all the millions of readers can't be wrong? :confused:

Probably been said, but I'm not trawling through 273 posts to find out.

I didn't read any of the three Dan Brown books I've read for the genius of his writing style. The da Vinci Code interested me because of the subject matter, and kept me interested via a fast-paced, interesting story.

Graeco Roman said:
Dan Brown is a great writer. I have never read a book that has held me in such suspense before da Vinci Code. I've read all the others, and they are all brilliant. Why do people keep questioning the writing - surely all the millions of readers can't be wrong? :confused:

Many people like the controversy and the 'hype' that surrounds that. I doubt they like or dislike the writing.

But those who read many books find it dismal because the writing is sloppy and careless; whilst many better books dont get the recognition.

Just because Star Wars 1 got many viewers, doesnt make it a good film.
Shawshank Redemption got hardly any exposure at the box office but is a excellent film.

the same applies here, many readers - bad book in my opinion ;)

Although many have slandered Dan Brown; keep reading what you like, even if it happens to be him :D

Sorry, but I hate Dan Brown. I have a big discussion about Dan Brown in my Book-Forum - but Its german!

I think he's lame. Books made for a group of people who can't handle a better, deeper, more complex novel. Hey, why change though, the guy's gonna end up with even more millions then he already has. Am i the only one who doesn't like Tom Hanks as Dr. Langdon?

darrenwbrandon said:
I think he's lame. Books made for a group of people who can't handle a better, deeper, more complex novel. Hey, why change though, the guy's gonna end up with even more millions then he already has. Am i the only one who doesn't like Tom Hanks as Dr. Langdon?

No, you're not-it was a shocking bit of casting but to be fair he didn't have much of a script to work with did he?
I have to agree totally with your comments regarding the novel.
The text is poor, the plot laughable and as for the conclusion...
Only plus point is the pace of the novel-definately a page-turner, but only if you can ignore the gaping holes in the storyline...

Back