• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

Darren Lewis said:
I picked up Digital Fortress as part of a three for two offer. I started reading the first few pages, but then thought hang on, I've read this before! The opening sequence is almost identical to Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code. Maybe that's his trademark formula?

I think I'd summarise Dan Brown as mindless entertainment. Something to pass away a few hours without having to think too much. Reminds me of most of the Hollywood Blockbusters. Can a book be eye candy?

Darren.

While I agree, Angels and Demons & The DVC are practicaly the same, I thought Digital Fortress to be different. Did you read it all?

And I agree with your summation as well. It's a fun read, period. Nothing to get over excited about and nothing to start a lasting war over. Move on to the next book.

RaVeN

RaVeN

No, I only read the first few pages the other night. I will read the rest of the book to satisfy my own curiosity.

Nothing to get over excited about and nothing to start a lasting war over. Move on to the next book.
Absolutely!

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could help me.

What order were the four Dan Brown books Written in.??

I am currently reading the da vinci code( the first one i'm reading)

Should i be reading another one first or does it not matter and what one should i read next.??

thanks

MOD EDIT: This is the main Dan Brown thread. Please discuss this author here :)

Digital Fortress (1999)
Angels & Demons (2000)
Deception Point (2001)
The Da Vinci Code (2003)

Don't think the order matters.
But I think you should read "The Da Vinci Code" first, then afterwards decide whether reading any more of Browns books is worth the time.
Just an advice. :)

You can kind of tell because his writing definitely gets better throughout all four of them. The only think that isn't cool is how his stories all have the same feel to them. He needs some new twists.

Really, Liv? I didn't think that Digital Fortress (which I liked a lot) felt at ALL like Da Vinci Code (which I LOVED).

I'm just starting on Deception Point, so perhaps that will tie the feel together and make me agree. We'll see! :p

Cathy

Somehow I don't forsee it being very difficult for the writing in his next book, *crossing my fingers in anticipation for the new Dan Brown book*, to surpass his writing skills in the previous ones.

Maya said:
Don't think the order matters.
But I think you should read "The Da Vinci Code" first, then afterwards decide whether reading any more of Browns books is worth the time.
i agree it makes sense to read the best [by concensus] 1st to see if you're gonna like the writers' style

otherwsie youre just gonna wonder what the 'best' read is like if you dont enjoy him much

In the Robert Langdon timeline, Angels and Demons comes before the Da Vinci Code, but you don't miss anything by not reading them in the right order. Like most people I started on Da Vinci too and then went through the back catalogue.

Chrondules!

I would have thought reading the back of your morning cereal box would be more suspensful and ultimately more challenging.I spent a week reading the da vinci code and am thinking about suing Dan Brown for my time back.

Ive got a VERY large cereal box.
but seriously,does nobody else think that Dan Brown writes for the lowest common denominator?The plot "twists" (HA!) were cringeworthy and the ending was so contrived that i half expected the heroines parents to visit from the dead to tell her how much they loved her.

Haven't you ever heard that reading is escapism? Some people read purely to be entertained, not to have to think about it, and Dan Brown's books fit the criteria superbly. His books are much like going to see a summer blockbuster at the movies - you know you'll see every plot twist; you know the 'goodies' will win; you know the dialogue will be cringeworthy; and you know that it's likely to be a thoroughly good fun watch. Same can be said about Dan Brown.

I really enjoy reading his books. I whip through them in a day and probably remember less than half the details a week later! But they do entertain me.

One thing I like about the guy is that he has got people reading again. Several people I know have picked up his books because 'they've heard so much about it'. To be honest, any author that can get so many people reading again is to be applauded.

I liked the whole Holy Grail thingee. I had no idea it was what it was, and started to do all sorts of research on it. Had me squinting at paintings of The Last Supper and this freaked my wife out.

And in the course of looking up stuff mentioned in Angels and Demons, I found that there are plenty of sculptures that I'd think were pretty risque at the time of their commisions, such as called the Rape of Proserpine (not in the book) and the Ecstasy of St Teresa (in the book).

Bloody cool stories, I must say. :D

ds

magemanda said:
Some people read purely to be entertained, not to have to think about it, and Dan Brown's books fit the criteria superbly.

I wasn't entertained; I cringed.

So, next time I want to cringe then I'll pick up a Dan Brown novel.

Back