• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Deep Fryers

O.K. look people, I appreciate what you're all doing here but we need to set things straight again.

Ronny: Yes, a whole turkey. Mine is good for up to a 16 pound turkey(although I think I recklessly did an almost 18 pounder once....it was a bit touchy right at first). Cooks all the way through....the basic practice is around 4 minutes per pound with your oil between 375 and 400 degrees. Flash sears the juices inside the bird almost instantly. Inject butter, or seasonings into the bird before cooking and it's awesome.

Mehastings: Cups? That's not a deep fryer....that's a Fry Daddy. Leckert and I are talking DEEP. Gallons. When I do a Turkey I make sure I have about 5 gallons of oil on hand. Usually end up needed somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gallons to cover the Turkey. I do have the smaller pot for the smaller items (anything that's not a full size turkey or chicken) but it still holds around a full gallon of oil. Propane heated...outside. No tiny little electric cord, not inside on countertop.

I think we need a TBF Turkey Fry. Leckert and I'll provide the turkeys....we'll need some p'tato salad, sweet p'tato's, corn on the cob, various assorted pies and rolls, cranbury sause, assorted veggies...but watch the beans....and beverages.....

You ought to convert your cars so you can recycle the oil. My nephew in law let the oil sit in his fryer from one Thanksgiving to the next and asked my sister if she thought it would still be good. She said NO. I don't care if it's supposed to still be good, I don't want to eat anything fried in year-old oil. (there really ought to be a puking smilie here.)

Motokid said:
Mehastings: Cups? That's not a deep fryer....that's a Fry Daddy. Leckert and I are talking DEEP. Gallons. When I do a Turkey I make sure I have about 5 gallons of oil on hand. Usually end up needed somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gallons to cover the Turkey. I do have the smaller pot for the smaller items (anything that's not a full size turkey or chicken) but it still holds around a full gallon of oil. Propane heated...outside. No tiny little electric cord, not inside on countertop.

So, then what is the point of this thread? They tell you right on the instructions that a turkey deep fryer is for frying turkeys. That's it. Sounds like not much to discuss there. Besides, mine says "deep fryer" right on it! :D

mehastings said:
So, then what is the point of this thread? They tell you right on the instructions that a turkey deep fryer is for frying turkeys. That's it. Sounds like not much to discuss there. Besides, mine says "deep fryer" right on it! :D

I think we should allow discussion of things cooked in lesser fryers... I have both, the propane bohemoth that MotoKid speaks of, which I use for turkeys and chickens, and a countertop model which I use for chicken wings, french fries, bologna sandwiches, and the like.

While the counter-top, electric cord model is definitely inferior in all manly ways, it does have it's place. It is easier and faster to set up, and will still clog my arteries.

The little one was the one I tried the ice cream in!

(little one is cheaper, too. A half-gallon of peanut oil will fill it, and I can use it for several weeks!)

oh.....ok.....I guess I can agree that Fry Daddy's and the like are deep frying....but what about pan frying? Are we gonna allow that too.....I mean....come on...where do we draw the line....

Motokid said:
oh.....ok.....I guess I can agree that Fry Daddy's and the like are deep frying....but what about pan frying? Are we gonna allow that too.....I mean....come on...where do we draw the line....

I will draw the line with you at pan frying.

definitely an all together different experience.

no pan frying!

Motokid said:

And the Fry Daddy is really an insult to some of these counter top fryers...

Mine holds a little more than half a gallon, and has a pretty big basket!

I can do like 20 wings in mine at a time and the temperature stays up well!

(definitely not as manly as my propane cooker, but pretty good.)

leckert said:
And the Fry Daddy is really an insult to some of these counter top fryers...

Mine holds a little more than half a gallon, and has a pretty big basket!

I agree. I was going to get a Fry Daddy "Grand Pappy" (or whatever they call the big one). Then I realized how small it was. No thanks. I've re-evaluated my fryer. It holds a lot more than 5 cups.

Jenn, I do have a turkey fryer. However, I could really use an ice cream maker so I can make my own ice cream and then fry it.

thanks, i will make a mental note and look for my invite to the deep fried icecream/margarita night.

Heh. If you guys can make it to Massachusetts sometime next July/August I'm sure you'd all be welcome, and any party in my honor better have margaritas, or I'm leaving!

mehastings said:
Jenn, I do have a turkey fryer. However, I could really use an ice cream maker so I can make my own ice cream and then fry it.

I'm telling you guys, this whole fried ice cream thing is a death trap!

You might as well just dial 9-1-1, then pour icy cold milk into your 375 degree oil!

stupid, stupid, stupid!

my sister and her husband are deep frying fanatics. i dont own one because i like my arteries clean. anyway, they deep the harshest stuff- bacon and fish sticks come to mind. who deep fries bacon???? why don't you just shove it directly into your artery? and aren't fish sticks already deep fried??? they have both gained weight since they married last year.

leckert said:
I'm telling you guys, this whole fried ice cream thing is a death trap!

You might as well just dial 9-1-1, then pour icy cold milk into your 375 degree oil!

stupid, stupid, stupid!

Actually, I've even made it at work (where I am 911). Seriously, try it again with the corn flakes and well frozen ice cream. It is so good, and I've yet to harm myself.

What is it about ice cream that makes anyone want to put a crispy fried shell around it?

I love ice cream....here's the thread...http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=6018

but why would you want to deep fry it? What's the point? What are you doing or adding by frying it....please fill me in here.....what am I missing?

Any specific flavor work best?

I think any flavor is probably fine except sherbert or sorbet (they melt too fast). It isn't just the crispy shell. You pile on whipped cream, fresh cut bananas and maybe some strawberry topping followed by some walnuts. It is indescribable.

...but what is it that the frying adds that would not be there otherwise?

ice cream, whipped cream, banana's, strawberry topping.....all sounds great....what's the fried layer on the ice cream do for the exprience?

Motokid said:
...but what is it that the frying adds that would not be there otherwise?

ice cream, whipped cream, banana's, strawberry topping.....all sounds great....what's the fried layer on the ice cream do for the exprience?

Moto, I am convince it is the sheer danger that makes it more appealing.

Like motorcycles and bungee jumping, the thrill of defying death and risking permanent injury sweetens the taste.

THE FLAMES, THE FLAMES....!! ohhoho Gohhhd, the flahahammes...

Back