• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

do you keep a book list?

abecedarian said:
If you keep track of the date you finished a book, the list helps remind you of what you were doing at that time..like an abbreviated journal.
Good idea! I guess I'll have to get going on it! Like you said, maybe I can try to reconstruct my list from the past year or so. We'll see how the ol' memory holds up :rolleyes:

My list is constructed in my diary (daily agenda/planner thing, that is). I started making the current list back in February, so it's crammed into the pages of February 17th... and I recently started a new column on February 19th :D . It's great because I always have my planner with me no matter where I am - easy to always write things down!

My notebook is too big for my purse. But I carry a smaller one all the time. Whenever we got to a coffee-scented bookstore, I add titles to my list to look for from the library. At first my hubby thought it was funny, but now he brings me books to write down... ;)

Yep I have a list going with what books I want to read. Mostly so I can keep the order of the books right...there's some pretty long series out there!!! Can't do without a list. ;)

yup! got a list of books i have read this year in my diary..and a list of the crime fiction books i have read. (i mainly read crime)
and i also write in the list the books i want to read.
lani

After reading all these posts, I am feeling very listless! The only book list I have is on a page in my 'attempt to be organized' notebook, which was generated by everyone on this site talking about books and authors they love to read! So all I've got is a 'List of Books and Authors I'd Like to Get to Someday'.

I wish I had kept a list of books read. I may start now. I do have a movie encyclopedia where I try to check off all the movies I've seen. :)

I recently made a couple lists - Books I want to read & Books I have read. The length of each is small enough that it fits fine on a simple post-it style application. I use Tomboy because it allows linking and a couple other neat little features (*nix only). When the list becomes more unruly and I gather the energy I am going to move it all to a spreadsheet with as much data as possible.

It was amusing when I sat down to compile the 'Books I have read' list. I must have spent 2 hours looking at Amazon synopsis thinking "I think I read that...maybe not..." It's very satisfying to add a book to my list of read books. :cool: Somewhat daunting to add to the quickly growing TBR list. :eek:

I used to keep a list of all the books and CDs that I own but I haven't done that for years. I also used to keep them in alphabetical order by author or artist but I've stopped doing that as well. Although my CD collection is all over the place at least the books are ordered by author mostly. I'm just running out of room on my bookshelf though to keep that up.

TownBear said:
I keep a list of books that I'm interested in, and the next time I go to buy/borrow, i usually consult the list & see if I can find anything that's on it.

Does anyone else to this?

I've found that many books I've seem somewhere (advertising etc.) that I've been interested in, I forget about if I don't keep a list lol

Nope, that would disrupt my planned-unplanned book buying nature. :D

Because there are just so many books to be read, and so many I want to read, I find I have to keep a list of ones "to be read". No time to waste just picking one out at random, and the list helps me keep track of only the cream of the crop that I need to read. Thanks to this board, my "to be read" list is getting pretty huge.

I have to say, I never kept a book list before the start of this year, but I do now. It has different sections for the big list of all the books that I want to read, the books that I am currently reading or have waiting to be read, and the ones that I have already read.

I find it quite useful, especially as it lets me keep a track of the books that I have loaned out of the library as well :)

Phil

I keep track of books that I want to read and books that I want to know more about - it's not a nice neat list though. I fill small notepads with notes on all kinds of things: shows, books, movies, music, etc, that I might be interested in, recipies to try, I plan out what I'm going to eat for a week or two or whatever length fits the amount of food I have, what shows I want to watch during the week. It's all blended together, right along with the books I want to read and books I want to know more about.

Renee said:
I keep track of books that I want to read and books that I want to know more about - it's not a nice neat list though. I fill small notepads with notes on all kinds of things: shows, books, movies, music, etc, that I might be interested in, recipies to try, I plan out what I'm going to eat for a week or two or whatever length fits the amount of food I have, what shows I want to watch during the week. It's all blended together, right along with the books I want to read and books I want to know more about.

Renee, that's such a coincidence, because I am just starting to do exactly the same thing in relation to books...... I just cant keep track of all the stuff I want to read. I've got lots of ideas from this forum alone, but as I cant possibly buy everything at once, I need to have some kind of longer term wish list to be able to finance my habit.

I'm trying to round up all the scraps of paper with book titles and authors names that are currently littered all over this desk, should be about the size of War and Peace by the time I've finished.

I don't keep a list of books I have read, but I keep a list of books I would like to get (should take me over ten years and it keeps growing), books I have and I have read, books I have but I have not read (A list, B list and reserve). I have typed all of them and, apart from hard copies and from beind saved in the computer, I keep a backup in a floppy.

francesca said:
I'm trying to round up all the scraps of paper with book titles and authors names that are currently littered all over this desk, should be about the size of War and Peace by the time I've finished.

I buy 5.5" X 3.5" spiral bound notebooks, then I can tear out what I don't need without losing the stuff I still want. Otherwise I just cross off individual notes.

the list of books that i've read is at http://www.expage.com/bastet it has ratings and summaries and stuff, i also have a list of books that i want to read/want to buy/must get at the library etc. i do that with movies too, i don't know, i just like listing stuff.

I keep a list of books to be read, which is growing longer and longer the more time I spend on this site, and a list of books that I currently have out from the library and when they are due (I'm terribly forgetful when it comes to things that I've borrowed, such as books and dvds). I want to start a list of books I've read too.

~MonkeyCatcher~

Ell said:
Do I keep a book list? I'm what you might call a compulsive list-maker. :D :D
Most of this is in an Excel workbook on spreadsheets so I can sort by author, title, comments, etc to my heart's content. Maybe I need help - there must be a List-maker's Anonymous group (L-Anon) somewhere?

Ell

You ARE compulsive. I make a list on scratch paper, then invariably forget to bring it with me to the library. Every library experience contains that moment where I'm groping for a title and author's name (I'll typically forget both), then am forced to aimlessly wander through the shelves until I find something else.

So, yes. I make lists. I just need a reminder to use them. For me, that's the hardest part.

I used to keep lists of books I'd read in an old exercise book; afterwards, I had the list typed on Excel; it was so much easier then, especially since I tend to forget book titles after a while - my list has prevented me from actually borrowing the same books again (yes, my memory is that bad :( )

I almost started a new thread on this, that search function comes in handy. I have an excel spreadsheet as my TBR list. author, title. Then the next column has a status of either "finished (date)"; "reading" "sitting, waiting" and those are sorted alphabetically within that column. (sitting waiting are the ones I own or have gotten from the library that I haven't gotten to yet.)

Then, the ones that I want to read eventually are alphabetically sorted below. I update regularily. I also have a little notebook I take to bookstoes to write down titles that look interesting, which then get entered into my TBR database and ordered from library when I decide I want to read them.

Back