• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

do you keep a book list?

Prairie_Girl said:
I have an excel spreadsheet as my TBR list. author, title. Then the next column has a status of either "finished (date)"; "reading" "sitting, waiting" and those are sorted alphabetically within that column. (sitting waiting are the ones I own or have gotten from the library that I haven't gotten to yet.)
I have my TBR list in a little ringbinder notebook, but I have toyed with the idea of replacing it with an excel spreadsheet. The problem with this, though, is that I like to be able to carry by TBR list with me to the library because I'm /very/ forgetful and usually forget the books that are on there by the time that I get to the library :eek:

I think next year that I'm going to start compling a list of books that I have read since the New Year.. I would like to be able to see how I'm "coming along" in the reading side of things. I'd also like to be able to compare books that I've read throughout the years using genre, numbers read, authors etc. Excel would be much more useful in this case, I think.

Everyone is so much more organized than I am! I get book ideas from all over, forums, friends, best-of-the-year lists, reviews and so on, and make a mental note of the ones that really strike me. If I come across a cluster, then I'll make a short list of them and take the list to the bookstore with me. Otherwise, I may just run right out and buy the book, or order it online, or else find it when I am browsing the bookstore, which I do all the time. If I see the book while browsing, it will click that that was a title I remember I thought was interesting and I'll browse the book in the store before deciding whether to buy it. I never buy books I haven't heard of, which is pretty tough on new authors, I admit, but I have been disappointed too many times with books -- new authors and old -- that caught my eye and I simply bought. In addition, my not-so-photographic memory helps to keep my mental list short. :D
And still I find more books than I have budget for, :(
and many many more than I have time for, :( :(
Peder

Once upon a time when I was much younger - I was but a child, my grandmother talked me into starting a notebook about the books I read. Title, author, finish date and what I thought of the book. I am so incredibly bad at keeping such things updated, so it never got any further than just the first few months. It was around the time when I drained the school's library dry :p

Now, though, I'm considering starting a list on my computer - it'd be nice, especially also to see which books I own and which I borrowed at the library. With all the books I have to pack in boxes and throw in the basement that's necessary, sadly - the curse of living in a one-room flat :p

I should do. I have this problem with books and often CDs too. I sit at home, watching TV, browsing on the internet and constantly think, 'Oooh, I'll have to try that out,' or, 'I'll have to buy that.'

Then I'm out shopping in Bullring, Birmingham, and pop into the book shop or music shop and then stand there like a lemon (on top of like a Lemming, obviously) thinking what it was that I wanted to buy.

I'm definitely going to start and keep a book/music list, this will help with my shopping.

Thank you for pointing the solution out to me, ;) !

I keep my TBR in a 9x5 3-ring binder, which I keep nearby at nearly all times. It's nice to carry along to the library so I can remember all that information, rather than simply rely on the two synapses left floating around in my head. For times when I can't carry the larger notebook, I carry a smaller,much sloppier notebook in my purse. This is for those jaunts into coffee-scented bookstores where I promptly lose those last two brain cells and can't even remember my own name, let alone ANY of my favorite author's names. My hubby and I wander around the store, and gather titles and authors for me to come home and look up on our library website for interlibrary loan. We still BUY plenty of books, but are just more careful these days. Once home, I add these titles to my binder, and look for them on the net or library site at my leisure.
Just yesterday, I went through the house and made a list of my Mt. TBR and came up with 180. And that doesn't include the great titles my older girls have dragged into their lairs! One of these winters, we'll get the storm of the century, and be snowed in for a couple weeks..I'm ready :D

I don't, never really thought of doing that. Though if you post a lot on the "currently reading" or "just finished reading" threads, you can go back and track and create your list.

TownBear said:
I keep a list of books that I'm interested in, and the next time I go to buy/borrow, i usually consult the list & see if I can find anything that's on it.

Does anyone else to this?

I've found that many books I've seem somewhere (advertising etc.) that I've been interested in, I forget about if I don't keep a list lol

yes I have a huge list. I have on it boks that I have read that have good reviews, favourite authors etc and when I am in the library or book store I always have something I want to get as well as several that aren't on the list :p

I finally got around to moving my Read List and To Be Read List from post-it note style software to an actual spreadsheet. I haven't filled it out yet completely but I have the basics finished. It will be fairly comprehensive once complete.

You cannot download it. It's part of Microsoft Office, but only the professional edition, not the home one.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday after church. I was sitting in the foyer, next to my 16 yr old daughter and her friend Alicia. They were busy reading something on several sheets of notebook paper, and when I looked at what it was I had to laugh. It was a three-page TBR list, made up of titles my daughter had suggested for her friend! Made me proud ;)

I keep thinking of making a book list - but I keep forgetting. I thought about making a list of things I need to do, and put "make a book list" on it, but I keep forgetting to do that, too.

Now, if I made a list of things I keep forgetting to do, and put "make a list of things I need to do" on it, and put "make a book list" on THAT list, that should cover it. Now if I could just remember to to THAT!

Oy vey.

cabrasopa said:
Trying to understand Microsoft Access at the moment to keep my list on database, getting there slowly.... :confused: :confused: :mad:
Hey cab-
I'm pretty adept at ACCESS - I wrote a whole inventory control database application from scrach (including the visual basic code) for my company.
If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Back