• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

do you keep track of the books you read?

I so need to start keeping track. Three times in the past few years I've actually bought a book only to discover after getting home that I've already read it -- and worse, already own it.

Greetings,

Yes, I keep track of the books that I have read.

Thanks for asking.

Cordially,
Afrika Midnight Asha Abney

I've tried that but I end up losing the list and then having to start over again. I might try electronically doing it...would save a lot of paper.

I didn't read all the posts on this thread so this might have already been mentioned, but librarything.com is a good place on line to keep up with your books and communicate with others who like the same books.

I jus found Bookedia (shareware, $18) for cataloguing my books. For the price it's an extremely neat program and is available for Mac and PC. I tried Readerware that another poster mentioned, but it was $40 and didn't work on my Mac.

I have in the past but eh...I just read so much and keeping track is not in my nature. I can look at a book and know if I've read it anyway. That's the only reason I'd keep a list I think, if I forgot what I had read before.

I keep a list of books and a total number of pages read: 48 books read so far and 17,517 pages total.

I consider each finished book an accomplishment in life so why not keep track.

I keep a haphazard list of books I have read in badly organized Word Documents on my computer. Yes my habits are cluttered- I am a right-brain dominant individual; such traits are normal for creative minds like mine. :D

I keep a list in a little notebook in my purse, but live in fear that I may lose it. So after I joined I decided to go electronic. I put a list each month in my blog Silver Threads. Bits and bytes are immortal.

I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet of the books I own, have read, what I thought of them, and even the condition they're in.

I just discovered goodreads.com and it looks a whole lot better than libraything.com. Now I can finally keep my list in proper order. :D

I keep an Excel spreadsheet, but a few days ago I discovered LibraryThing, so I'm using that as well. However, from what people are saying, Goodreads may be worth considering as well! ;)

Edit: Right, I'm now on Goodreads as well. If anyone would like to add me as a 'friend', my username is angerball.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet, but a few days ago I discovered LibraryThing, so I'm using that as well. However, from what people are saying, Goodreads may be worth considering as well! ;)

Edit: Right, I'm now on Goodreads as well. If anyone would like to add me as a 'friend', my username is angerball.

And I'm there as Vicki...waves to Carlos, CDA, Stewart, and Sophia..

I need more lady friends over there so my dh doesn't have a fit when he sees my friend list:D

I looked at librarything and goodreads and thought goodreads was the better of the two for me.........so I'm there as tyche if anyone wants to add a 'friend' :)

Book Lists And Growth

HI
I began my booklist in Jan. 1977 which makes it 31yrs old. Some people think I am silly to keep such close track but when I finally finished my database and all of the books were alphabetized I felt as though I had grown so much in the choices I make about what I read. I admit too, that I have become a 'reading snob' which for me is a good thing.

I encourage everyone to keep a booklist from year to year in the layout someone mentioned earlier: NAME/TITLE/YEAR/#OF BOOK THAT YEAR
Many folks have told me they just forget to enter each read, my advice: keep the journal in the bathroom and you won't forget. My trick is to never put a book back on the shelf or return to teh library before i record it.

Good thread.

GERBAM

HI
I began my booklist in Jan. 1977 which makes it 31yrs old. Some people think I am silly to keep such close track but when I finally finished my database and all of the books were alphabetized I felt as though I had grown so much in the choices I make about what I read. I admit too, that I have become a 'reading snob' which for me is a good thing.

I encourage everyone to keep a booklist from year to year in the layout someone mentioned earlier: NAME/TITLE/YEAR/#OF BOOK THAT YEAR
Many folks have told me they just forget to enter each read, my advice: keep the journal in the bathroom and you won't forget. My trick is to never put a book back on the shelf or return to teh library before i record it.

Good thread.

GERBAM

Good suggestions. I keep a notebook with the list handwritten, then have my lists posted on three different forums, so if I ever lose the lists for the the last couple of years anyway, I can recover them easily. I'd love to see your 31 year list!

HI

Good thread.

GERBAM

I'd be interested to see your full list too,or your favourite book from each year! Years ago I did keep a list and highlighted my favourite each year. I actually stopped reading for almost two years,but began again last year and just jotted them down on a cheap notepad! I often have three or four books lined up to read,but deviate when maybe a friend recommends one or I see one in the library I fancy!

Back