• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

do you keep track of the books you read?

I started keeping track of the books I'm reading today useing Excel.
The fields I'm useing are Book Name,series name,Author name,num of pages,Date begun,and Date Finished.

So what do guy think of my system?

kuroc said:
The fields I'm useing are Book Name,series name,Author name,num of pages,Date begun,and Date Finished.

Sounds good except the date begun date finished thing would only serve to depress me. Blast my lack of focus and committment!

kuroc said:

Sounds good, can you keep it up though, that is the question?

I am keeping a wordpad file, containing only the author and title, and occasionally the author gets missed off, then I update it every so often on librarything.

SFG75 said:
Wow, thanks for posting the site Steffee. That is an awesome site!. Just great, another book related site to take up more of my time.:D

:D Yes, I love it. Don't thank me though, I found a link to it on these forums somewhere if I recall correctly.

I make my own bookmark at the start of every year date it and write down every thing i read for that year on it.
Started in 2000 with about 50-70 books logged on each, this years has six so far.
At the end of each year i laminate them to keep a permanent record.

cabrasopa said:
I make my own bookmark at the start of every year date it and write down every thing i read for that year on it.
Started in 2000 with about 50-70 books logged on each, this years has six so far.
At the end of each year i laminate them to keep a permanent record.
That's a really good idea! It's not for me though - I lose bookmarks far too often for this to be effective

TheRedNewt said:
Sounds good except the date begun date finished thing would only serve to depress me. Blast my lack of focus and committment!

I don't bother with 'date begun' since I assume I picked up the next book fairly quickly. Long stretches between books (by date finished) is a visual reminder that I was busy during that time. Its like a sort of journal.

I started making a list, as I think I said on this thread before. Now I wish I hadn't started it, becuase it's turning into some kind of obsession.:rolleyes:

I made a list at the beginning of 2005. But I also added a list of books I read before that that were significant and moving.
I love keeping track of the books I read.
I also have a book where I write quotes from novels that I really like and that have some importance to me.

Lani

I started about 3-4 years ago, keeping a spreadsheet of what I read during the year. At the end of the year, I print it off and start again the next year. I just have the name and author of the book. And I keep it in order that I read them, not alphabetical.

As a student, I used to keep note of the titles and authors of books I'd read in a simple notebook. Later on, I started typing them out on a spreadsheet though I stopped for some time. This year, I am resuming the list and will keep on updating it regularly.

Track of books that i read?

Yes i do, and have done it for 5 years or more. I read about 2 books in one week when im not working my ass off. sometimes i only read 1 a week, but i always read, every day! especially sci-fi & Fiction.

I like to keep track of what I read also. Using the blog on this website is a great tool for that. I guess it's best to keep a spreadsheet, but, I guess I can always do that later. And I lose lot of stuff/data whenever my HD fails. And I don't think it's strange. You can't remember if you've read all the books that you've read several years down the line. I guess then you would have to just reread it. But, that's like getting duped, or unexpected deja vu!

I dont count my books or anything or write the dates when I have read books, but I have a list of all the authors I like and mark off when I have read a book by them. I keep it in my bag so that when Im buying a book I know if I have already read it or not! I also have to mark down which books I have bought but not read because I have so many but cant help buying more, then I find I have bought one that I have already got! :rolleyes:

I have a list on my lap top too of all the books I want to read and I tick them off as I go on there too.

It just helps to know what you have and havent read, and got to read!

doesn't everyone keep a list?...

Nope. I don't know and don't care how many books I have ever read or have read in the last month/year/decade... And I can always remember if I've already read a book when I see it in a shop and am thinking about buying it.

I keep a small notebook in my purse and write down the author and book title as I finish each book, starting a new list each month.

At the end of the month, I enter them in a blog entry here with a brief comment. That's new for me this year - the past must remain gone and mostly forgotten.

Yes, but I've only started the list four or five months ago. I just write it on a notepad, organized by months, with name of the book, author, small description or my opinion and a note (0-20).

Dharma

Yes, I have a simple spread sheet that I use to keep track of my reading. I put in: title of book, author, date started, date finished and number of pages.

Back