• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you know your geography?

:D :D :D I saw this on CNN this morning, and almost died. What a twit!! It's not so much geography, but just a general inability to speak clearly. Maybe she was nervous or stressed? Yeah, sure, and that explains why my three year old can carry a thought better than her.

Don't you just want to slap her?! She was obviously trying to impress with her extensive vocabulary and political views... on South Africa...

Even more chilling:
"Upton is described as a varsity athlete and student leader at Lexington High School, where she graduated in June with a 3.5 GPA."

I love it! One fifth of Americans can't find America on a map because...they don't have maps. Beautiful!

I love it! One fifth of Americans can't find America on a map because...they don't have maps. Beautiful!

Well of course silly! That's because all the maps are in schools or in homes in the UK:D

I really think this poor girl got lost looking at herself in the camera...lost her train of...what was I talking about?

World map for Americans. Now geography is simpler than ever.

LOL-That was great. I in particular liked the "evil communists" section, not to mention "coffee" in South America.:D

Upton is described as a varsity athlete and student leader at Lexington High School, where she graduated in June with a 3.5 GPA

I bet she was one of those "book smart" kids that could give you the definition out of a book, but couldn't elaborate beyond that-hence why she had a problem with an "on the spot" question which required higher level thinking skills.

Oi, you're all going to hate me: I'm eighteen, and I've never taken geography.

I'm a lot older than 18, and maybe I've lost my memory, but I do not recall ever having the option to take a Geography course when I was in school. It simply was not a separate class one could choose. My teen boys just started a World Geography course two weeks ago. They're learning that lifting the world atlas builds strong muscles, but opening it and using it is good for their minds. Which reminds me, I need to check their map projects tomorrow..

I'm a lot older than 18, and maybe I've lost my memory, but I do not recall ever having the option to take a Geography course when I was in school. It simply was not a separate class one could choose. My teen boys just started a World Geography course two weeks ago. They're learning that lifting the world atlas builds strong muscles, but opening it and using it is good for their minds. Which reminds me, I need to check their map projects tomorrow..

Wow.

I can remember going through my father's old notes and seeing very detailed maps drawn out here and there. I assumed that everyone from his age to mine had geography as an option.

Wow.
I assumed that everyone from his age to mine had geography as an option.

It wasn't a high school option when I went to school, but we did quite a lot of geography in elementary school, some of it very tedious like state capitals and heads of navigation. Later on, it was just an incidental in courses like history, and who knew where Bosnia was!

The best basis for what little I presently understand of geography was an introductory college course in geology, where we learned land forms and serious map reading.

Oi, you're all going to hate me: I'm eighteen, and I've never taken geography.

This is so weird :confused: Human/Political and Physical Geography are two compulsory disciplines where I come from. You start it in 2nd grade and only stop studying it when you go to college (unless your major is related).

It was Miss South Carolina's job to look good, not to answer a dumb question. :eek:

Anyway since 75% of Americans don't own a passport they don't need to know where American is, they won't be going anywhere. The other 25% can always ask directions. :D

This is so weird :confused: Human/Political and Physical Geography are two compulsory disciplines where I come from. You start it in 2nd grade and only stop studying it when you go to college (unless your major is related).

It's mandatory in a lot of places, yeah. Not at the high school that I went to, however, and only in eighth grade at the junior high I attended for only seventh grade.

Even more chilling:
"Upton is described as a varsity athlete and student leader at Lexington High School, where she graduated in June with a 3.5 GPA."

Upton? That's her first name? Where I come from it's an Anglo-Saxon place name!

"We thought we'd call her Upton" - yeah, right....

Back