• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Doubling Up

brk_3

I know some people who read multiple novels at the same time. I just can see how they do that and keep each storyline straight.
How many of you read multiple books or novels at a time?
Now, I can read a reference, nonfiction, or text book while I am also reading a novel of fiction. But, I could never read two different novels at the same time.

I can only read one novel at a time,tho' I've never tried reading two or more at once. I just think the plots and characters would merge far too much,but that's just me. I've got friends who think nothing of reading 3 novels at once.
Big heads! :)

I always have several going at once, mostly because I browse through the books I have/buy and then pick the most interesting one(s) to continue. Then, every once in a while, I get an urge to finish up the partly-read ones and I finish a whole bunch in a short while. Then it starts over. Books are continually being rotated into/out of my TBR pile depending how I feel, and I am always buying books that I believe I will get around to someday. To not buy or start a new book until I have finished the one I am reading is unheard of for me.
Not bragging, just saying. That's how it is.

I can keep one going at work and one at home, it saves on carting books about with me, but I don't read any more than that at once. I have too many other things I need to get done in a day to be reading umpteen books at a time as well.

I don't get the plots muddled between books but I do find that I muddle computer games if I play too many.

I have to have more than one book going at once, that way I can shift depending on my mood and mindset. Some days just aren't Charles Dickens days.

Now, I can read a reference, nonfiction, or text book while I am also reading a novel of fiction. But, I could never read two different novels at the same time.

For the most part, I'm the same way. I think a non-fiction and fiction book do a great job of balancing each other out. I have read several novels at the same time and I don't find it to be that difficult, unless both books are by Fyodor Karamazov.

I always read many books at once. There is reason for this. I usually get around on bicycle and always carry book with me. If I carry big shoulder bag I can carry bigger book. If I carry small bag I carry smaller book. If I dont carry bag I carry book can carry pocket in pants or in vest pocket. Then I keep one big book in front garden and one in bedroom so I always have one book nearby. Also have 2 bathroom and 1 book in each one. Some days read from 4 or 5 different books. Also I forgot in library where I work as volunteer I usually read too.

chiangmaifalcon,
Your logic is flawless. :D

I may start several at the time, but tend to then concentrate on one in particular. I may or may not go back to others started, but could start a new one to concentrate on.
That means 3 or 4 around the house in various stages of reading and interest level.

When I'm studying I can usually read more than one. I agree with SFG75, non-fiction and fiction to balance well together. Non for during daylight hours and fiction for at night.

I used to keep 3 or 4 different books going at a time: one or two for home, one for the coffee shops, and on for the airplane. Eventually I realized that I was probably better off focusing on one or two at a time so nowadays I try to keep one fiction and one non-fiction going at a time and if I get bored with one, I shelve it and start another and return to the shelved one when I am more in the mood for it.

I forgot one more place I keep book. I own massage shop and beauty salon and keep book there also. I read it when just hanging around there and also when I get massage myself, which I am about to do now actually.

When I try this, I usually get totally into one of the novels, then forget about the other. By the time I am done with the one I got totally into, I don't have any interest reading the other novel.

When I try this, I usually get totally into one of the novels, then forget about the other. By the time I am done with the one I got totally into, I don't have any interest reading the other novel.

Me too! I don't usually try on purpose, but once in a while I will come across a book I find interesting, I'll start reading it, and then the book I was already on will get shelved until I finish the second one. If a book doesn't suck me in like that, I consider it not worth reading.

I used to have several books going at once at any given time. Age and family situation has changed all that. Now, I'm doing good to have a novel, non-fiction, and children's read aloud in progress. Sometimes it's just one book for me and one for the kids...It HAS been one for me and three for different kids..that got a little wonky, to be sure. As a matter of fact, as I type this, my son has plopped his copy of Calling Dragons in my lap and given me instructions to 'Say goodbye to whoever you need to, but READ!' :lol:

I should explain that my shop is Thai traditional massage. it is mostly what is called deep tissue massage and is very good for therapeutic purposes. It has almost cured me of pain from herniated disks. There are no extras permitted for customers, and the ladies who work for me are very strict Buddhist and from small village. However, to be honest we do have oil massage where customers can take off clothes but we do not offer "happy ending" with this style.

At most,I read three books all at the same time. It's become my usual reading now. Although if one of the three books hits 700 pages, I'll have to read it by itself,when I clean out my currently reading list. I also read political thrillers by themselves, as they are very complicated for me.

I usually have two books going on at the same time. Due to school work on my back,I could not carry three books,so I carry two.

The max I have read at one time though would have to be 4,but dropped 2 because they were getting boring.

Back