• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ernest Hemingway

<< Hemingway himself said that his writing was like an iceberg in that only a small amount of it was visible and the vast rest of it was under the water. >>

Oh no!! I think my teacher has repeated it a milion of times....over and over and over again...
but...i think this isn't a really innovative thing...I presuppose all writers (writer for children too) hide something under the exsterior story...Surely a lot of messages are only a block of "banalities"...or, as we say in Italy.."cavolate".

[sorry again for my english]

Don't worry about your English Canella! Being able to speak a second language ( even if it's not perfect ) is a great achievement! So just be proud and not to worry. By writing here in English you are sure to keep getting better with it! :)

To both of you: I think you should approach Hemingway again in some years time. I think your teacher probably ruined it for you. I don't think it's really possible to like something really that you are forced into reading and plus having somebody else opinions forced onto you also! Try to forget all that school stuff and try him again in maybe 5 years time. Then the memory will be fading of those school days and also you will have changed and grown as people. I have done that many times. I have tried an author, not liked them, and then came back in some years and had a better appreciation for them because of what I have leaned and my tastes changing and growing in different ways... of course, you might still hate him :D but don't give up on him so easy!

for me it's different, i LOVE my teacher!
and i liked other books that she gave me (the catcher in the rye / bright light, big city / of mice and men / singer's stories / les echelles du levant / the commitments / ...)

OK, well I will give up trying to convince you then :D

I guess he is just not for you then! We all have different tastes. Glad you like your teacher and she/he is giving you enjoyment of so many books!

I love my teacher too..But...it's so difficult to prize at full a book, knowing that you will be interrogated about it...

But, at the end, Uncle Ernest is anyhow safe! ^_^

Cannella said:
<< Hemingway himself said that his writing was like an iceberg in that only a small amount of it was visible and the vast rest of it was under the water. >>

Oh no!! I think my teacher has repeated it a milion of times....over and over and over again...
MINE TOO!!! She went on about it period after period.
We read "Hills Like White Elephants". I didn't like it. His writing style is just not my thing. I've also read a novel by him; "Garden of Eden", didn't think much of it either.
No big deal(s).
But I'll probably give some of his other a try in the future, just in case... :)

Cannella said:
But, at the end, Uncle Ernest is anyhow safe!
Are you related? :p

I think Hemingway was also quite an excellent short story writer. I remember having read Old Man at the Bridge once and thinking about it for days.

"Garden of Eden" stayied in my mind for a few days, but I think wabbit, is right, my teacher ruined it for me. We didn't get a chance to think for ourself what "Hills Like White Elephants" where all about, since she told us it, right after we finished reading it. So it was quite a "shock" to all of us, to put it mildly. ;)
So when I read Hemingway after that "episode", I started thinking that the novel can't be about what I'm thinking it's about, it has to be about something VERY else. I didn't dare thinking what it was about, because I was SURE it would be "wrong". I'm left with the impression that there is always a "right" or "wrong" answer to Hemingway's works. Literature should not be maths! But that's just me. :p

Maya said:
my teacher ruined it for me. We didn't get a chance to think for ourself what "Hills Like White Elephants" where all about, since she told us it, right after we finished reading it. So it was quite a "shock" to all of us, to put it mildly. ;)
:p
o my god.. i think that there's a problem...
cannella and me had the same teacher, she told us thousand of time the story of the iceberg and bla bla bla, like your
and..
SHE EXPLAINED US THE MEANING OF "hills like white elephant" AND WE WERE SHOCKED TOO!!
maybe your teacher's name is elena buono? :confused: :p

i really liked a farewell to arms. my friend hated the simplicity of it. it was rather simple.. i fell asleep 4 times in one reading :p

I read A Moveable Feast last month. I loved the book, especially how he described writing in the cafe's. I became so interested in them that I recently purchased two books about Paris. The first one is called, "Paris - 500 Photos." All the photographs are color and wonderful to look at. It has many pictures of the Cafe's that Paris is famous for. It also has a picture of the house that Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley lived in while in Paris. The other book is titled, "The Parisian Cafe': A Literary Companion." The pictures in this book really come to life. Each one is accompanied by a short description of the picture that includes everything from a little bit of history as well as the writers that frequented that particular cafe'. I have really enjoyed both of these books. They have really added to my experience of reading A Moveable Feast.

CanabyCreekFF said:
I read A Moveable Feast last month. I loved the book, especially how he described writing in the cafe's. I became so interested in them that I recently purchased two books about Paris. The first one is called, "Paris - 500 Photos." All the photographs are color and wonderful to look at. It has many pictures of the Cafe's that Paris is famous for. It also has a picture of the house that Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley lived in while in Paris. The other book is titled, "The Parisian Cafe': A Literary Companion." The pictures in this book really come to life. Each one is accompanied by a short description of the picture that includes everything from a little bit of history as well as the writers that frequented that particular cafe'. I have really enjoyed both of these books. They have really added to my experience of reading A Moveable Feast.

hm well hemingway is famous for his powerful descriptions

WoundedThorns said:
i really liked a farewell to arms. my friend hated the simplicity of it. it was rather simple.. i fell asleep 4 times in one reading :p

I'm currently thinking of starting that one, I've never read it. I loved The Old Man and the Sea. It too was simple, but had some interesting undertones about it.

I have tried and tried to get into Hemingway, but I've not managed to do so yet. I'm not going to give up though. I think I need to find some kind of guide or something, instead of just ploughing in and hoping for the best.

I'm just back from Paris and wanted to buy a book that relates to the city to remind me of my trip. I picked up A Moveable Feast by Hemingway in the famous Shakespeare and Co bookshop. I started reading it that night in my hotel room. In the first chapter he mentions having to pay his rent at 74 Cardinal Lemoine. The book nearly slipped from my fingers. I was staying in number 75... I couldn't believe the coincidence! :D

Is the old guy running the Shakespeare and Co still around?
There another one in south spain, San pedro,not rellated though!

Back