• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite female singers

My faves:

Sheryl Crow (I love to play "Oh Marie" on my guitar)
Fiona Apple
Sinéad O'Connor (her rastafari album was awesome)
Beth Gibbons (portishead)

As this is a music thread and many of the people who read this will be into creative and poetic writing, I think it would be appropriate to mention the poetic and extremely talented Joanna Newsom.

I used to listen to other artists but now I only listen to her. Her songs (especially on "Ys") are very long but contain some of the best description and imagery you can imagine. Here are a few lines:

And, Emily - I saw you last night by the river
I dreamed you were skipping little stones across the surface of the water
Frowning at the angle where they were lost, and slipped under forever,
In a mud-cloud, mica-spangled, like the sky'd been breathing on a mirror

This song is a personal favourite. It's called "Emily" and it's on the album "Ys".

One thing I should say: give her time. It takes a while to get used to her voice but once you do, you fall in love with every song.

I urge you to go out and buy "Ys" now!

Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Beth Gibbons, Siouxsie Sioux, Annie Lennox, Danielle Dax, Lene Lovich, Bat for lashes, Dusty Springfield, Toyah, Suzanne Vega and Emilie Simon.

I'd like to add Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, EmmyLou Harris and Emmy Rossum to this great list.

Lucinda Williams
Alison Krauss
Madeleine Peyroux
Jenny Lewis
Dido
Stevie Nicks
Etta James
Billie Holiday
Sarah Vaughan
Nina Simone

Back