• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Quotes

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

A classic line from a great book that outlines a corrupt system with manifest problems regarding hypocrisy, double-standards, and betrayal of their own core principles. :)

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

"...that's the wonderful thing about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing."

The author's method of combining simplicity with sincerity attracted me more than the quote itself.

"Men would follow Lyam to their deaths, but the younger brother would use his shrewdness to keep them alive." Spoken by Pug in Magician.

And this one.

"First, it's always better to be captain than deckhand, which is why I'm a captain and not a deckhand. Second, there's some difference between a ship and a kingdom."
Amos Trask on the question of whether or not Martin should assume the throne. From Magician

Ones that make me laugh are irresistable to me. Here's a few:

"'That sort of smells religious, wouldn't you say?'"
-Belgarath in Polgara the Sorceress by David & Leigh Eddings

"'Whoops,' said the Savior."
-The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

"'Fasten your seatbelts and prepare for turbulence: you're flying into... the Roland Zone!'"
-Eddie in The Waste Lands by Stephen King

Not my favourite, but an interesting one:

"The God of the scientists, one is tempted to suggest, created man in his own image and put him into the world with only one commandment: Now try to figure out by yourself how all this was done and how it works."

- from "The Gold Bug Variations" by Richard Powers
- attributed to a Dr. Arendt

ell

Cant remember the exact quotes but they go something like this... " I know your here to kill me. Shoot, Coward, Im only a man"...Che guevara said this right before he got executed. He also said " I dont care if I fall as long as someone picks up my gun and keeps on shooting".

This has probaply been mentioned already, but my favourite book quote is this:

"There is no magic. there are only onions." Pug ConDoin

Late in his life Aldous Huxley remarked, "It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than: 'Try to be a little kinder.'"

Sounds kind of like the Dalai Lama, doesn't it? (He is quoted as having replied, "My religion is kindness", after having been asked the obvous question.)

Neither of these is a direct quote from a book, but I thought both were worth sharing with you all.

Okay. Here's one by Jane Austen:

'"I have frequently detected myself in such kind of mistakes," said Elinor, "in a total misapprehension of character in some point or another: fancying people so much more gay or grave, or ingenious or stupid than they really are, and I can hardly tell why or in what the deception originated. Sometimes one is guided by what they say of themselves, and very frequently by what other people say of them, without giving oneself time to deliberate and judge."'

Fay Weldon wrote: "Worry less about what people think of you and more about what you think of them."

:D

Crystal said:
By the time you swear you're his, shivering and sighing,
And he vowes his passion is infinite, undying
Lady, make a note of this: one of you is lying

-------By Dorothy Parker
I adore Dorothy Parker - she's so quotable. Here's a page of the rest of her other TRULY glorious quotes: http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/dorothy_parker/

I tried skimming the many pages of that web site and didn't immediately find it - the site wanted me to register to read more - but I believe it was Dorothy Parker who said: "You can take a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

namedujour said:
I tried skimming the many pages of that web site and didn't immediately find it - the site wanted me to register to read more - but I believe it was Dorothy Parker who said: "You can take a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

Oops. It was the very first quote on the page, and I didn't see it in my race to skim.

"And I bid you all a fond good evening, those blessings that I have to give I give you and those that I do not have to give you are seeking on your own."

The Seth Material

"Samuel rode lightly on top of a book and he balanced happily among ideas the way a man rides white rapids in a canoe. But Tom got into a book, crawled and groveled between the covers, tunneled like a mole among the thoughts, and came up with the book all over his face and hands."
Steinbeck - East Of Eden

Here's a few from A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean

In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

Now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Back