• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Quotes

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure, while always arriving"

"To say yes to one instant, is to say yes to all of existence"

Recent finding. ;)

a little note to novella :D

Seemed to me that we arrived at different understanding of that little quote.

To me, it seems that there is actually no destination, even death itself that is not a final stop (maybe you just have another dream which you cannot wake from :confused: ).

any thought?

novella said:
Posted by watercrystal:
"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure, while always arriving"

That one reminds me of Dylan's "He not busy being born is busy dying."
watercrystal said:
Seemed to me that we arrived at different understanding of that little quote.

To me, it seems that there is actually no destination, even death itself that is not a final stop (maybe you just have another dream which you cannot wake from )---especially when you view it from the reincarnation perspective. Any thoughts?
Hmmm. I took it to mean we should always be moving forward and not remain stagnant - to experience the thrill of always learning something new.

That is, when you 'get somewhere', you don't really get there. It just gives you another reference place from which to go somewhere else. :confused:

ell
p.s. I really like the quote, WaterCrystal :)

Ell said:
That is, when you 'get somewhere', you don't really get there.ell

No, we don't. we tend to think that we can stay for a while if we arrive there (a certain life-goal, maybe), but actually...., hmmm, i don't know, I lost my train of thoughts. anyway.

Ell, those quotes are from the moive 'waking life' (once recommended by True@1stLight). and there are lots that make one think more. maybe you are interested in finding it out?

Goodnight, :) --------->>:D

watercrystal said:
Ell, those quotes are from the moive 'waking life' (once recommended by True@1stLight). and there are lots that make one think more. maybe you are interested in finding it out?

I did recommend it, although on a personal note I completely and utterly disagree with almost everything it says.

And isn't the, "saying yes to a moment is saying yes to all of existence" derived from the theory they propose that the universe will play itself out over and over again. The idea was that everything is causally playing itself out and when it comes to an end it will start over again, so the choice we make right now will reflect our existence for eternity.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get you on this trip about us being in a possibly perpetual dream state. :p

watercrystal said:
No, we don't. we tend to think that we can stay for a while if we arrive there (a certain life-goal, maybe),

I"m not sure about this. My experience has been that once you fulfill a desire, a new one takes its place. We never seem to be able to be content by filling a singular desire, at least not while immersing ourself in a desire.

"Accept the anxieties and difficulties of this life, and attain deliverance in disturbances".

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."

watercrystal said:
No, we don't. we tend to think that we can stay for a while if we arrive there (a certain life-goal, maybe), but actually...., hmmm, i don't know, I lost my train of thoughts. anyway.

Goodnight, :) --------->>:D

Hmmm. I took the getting somewhere (arriving/departing) bit as a metaphor for living.

State of constant departure = the unavoidable aging (unless you shoot yourself in head or whatever), always arriving = always being born again to new experience.

"...how life, from being made up of little separate incidents which one lived one by one, became curled and whole like a wave which bore one up with it and threw one down with it, there, with a dash on the beach."

-Virginia Woolf

Yes, it's from To the Lighthouse .

Before you read her it is important to vaguely understand her purpose. In effect, to make people create a story themselves. It is a fatal mistake to try and figure out what Woolf meant. She doesn't write with any intention, any implicit purpose other than making you create a meaning. It's worth doing a bit of research about what literature is in conjunction with her. Many analytic thinkers believe this type of writing is pointless, because it in effect has no point. It's best to read up a bit, and decide for yourself. I think alot of people glaze through her work and see it as beautiful writing, which it is, but that they are missing a possibility of something far greater.

On a side note, I have not currently made up my own mind yet as to whether I find such a book of more or less value than a book with intentions.

Thank you :)

ooops, sent you a PM regarding this so you can disregard that :D

Can you tell me briefly what her purpose was?

Quotes from Virginia Woolf from journals and such....

"Yesterday I finished the first part of To the Lighthouse, and today began the second. I cannot make it out--here is the most difficult abstract piece of writing--I have to give an empty house, no people's characters, the passage of time, all eyeless and featureless with nothing to cling to. ...well, I rush at it, and at once scatter out two pages. Is it nonsense, is it brilliance? why am I so flown with words and apparently free to do exactly what I like? When I read a bit it seems spirited too; needs compressing, but not much else. "

"What is my own position towards the inner and the outer? ..the give the moment whole; whatever it includes. Say that the moment is a combination of thought and sensation...."

"I meant nothing by The Lighthouse. One has to have a central line down the middle of the book to hold the design together. I saw that all sorts of feelings would accrue to this, but I refused to think them out, and trusted that people would make it the deposit for their own emotion--which they have done, one thinking it means one thing, another another."

Hmmmm, you know, I think I will just jump right on into the work without reading anything and "experience it"

Guess this is where you wish me luck! :D lol

True@1stLight said:
Yes, it's from To the Lighthouse .

Before you read her it is important to vaguely understand her purpose. In effect, to make people create a story themselves. It is a fatal mistake to try and figure out what Woolf meant. She doesn't write with any intention, any implicit purpose other than making you create a meaning. It's worth doing a bit of research about what literature is in conjunction with her. Many analytic thinkers believe this type of writing is pointless, because it in effect has no point. It's best to read up a bit, and decide for yourself. I think alot of people glaze through her work and see it as beautiful writing, which it is, but that they are missing a possibility of something far greater.

On a side note, I have not currently made up my own mind yet as to whether I find such a book of more or less value than a book with intentions.

I so disagree. In defense of coming to things on their own terms (which Wabbit will defend into ignorant domains), I think Woolf is really accessible on her own. Some of my favorite writing to read when I was in my 20s. I really don't think it needs any introduction!

To add further, To the Lighthouse is a wonderful book for anyone of any experience to read!! Miles and miles better than the crap passed around as readable by bestseller fans.

I would grant it's better than bestseller stuff for the writing quality alone, but that doesn't mean much. Most bestsellers don't have a purpose other than entertaining.

I don't necessarily think you need to look into what literature's purpose is, I surely don't expect everyone to, but I do think it goes very well along with her writing.

As far as her value, as I said, TBD, until I get my head around what I think the value of literature is in the first place.

Back