• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fought over any good books lately?

The first thing I noticed about the article was the illustration. I was rather...offended? No, put-off that is was all women. That said, I was glad the article addressed the issue of all male and co-ed groups.

Oh, and I wanted to mention about the online vs. in-person sit down groups...

In college during the summers I did the overnights at my old job. Riding the bus home at 7am I would often witness a book club happening right there on the bus. A group of women who work for the Federal government and commute to the downtown core would get on and exchange books, and a few days or a week later they'd return the books and talk about them on the way to work.

The comment about online boards being "a different animal" (I think that's how article put it) is a tad moot. Because these women, who didn't work in the same branch of the Government, and therefore not in the same building at all, and seemingly (I gathered from my eavesdropping) didn't know one another other than from the bus, had meaningful discussions on the bus to work. Point being; if you can have a group in such a limited capacity then an online forum is at least slightly more developed.

Paperapostle,
Thanks for the correction on both points. It has been a long time.
Fascinating book club you mention. I have never seen one on the NY Subways. :cool:
Peder

SFG75 said:
To what extent do you decide not to participate in a discussion because a book is too "literary" or not "literary" enough? What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?
The literariness of the book is not a factor in whether I want to discuss a book. It is usually the author's style and storytelling mastery or subject matter.
SFG75 said:
What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?
The chosen book is not of interest to me.

I thought I was hearing two negative votes from moderators about the course of the discussion. It's not my role to question moderators' judgement, so I obliged. In that respect, it seems that my reactions to what I was hearing were pretty much similar to Pontalba's.
On reading the thread for Embers - I don't think that it was Libra's or Robert's intention that you stop the discussion or move the discussion away from the points you were making. I interpreted them more as "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" type comments.
In any case, they were only comments, not votes.

Votes, notes, thoughts, opinions,
Hints, suggestions, remarks or yawns.
Words connoting with denotations,
Or perhaps
Cigars denoting with connotations.
Hardly encouraging,
Maybe disparaging,
Certainly questioning,
Asserting futility.
Of that there's no doubt.
So midst to-ing and fro-ing
And yes-ing and no-ing
A single thing's certain, and clear as a bell
The mods do know, as they do know well.

So moderators aren't allowed to have their own opinions on books now?

Personally, my reasons for not taking part in the latest few BOTM discussions are:
- I have a big TBR list that I want to get through sometime this century (some of which I have to read)
- The book selection. While there are a couple I want to read at some point (I especially wanted to read some more Fitzgerald), the Lawrence I've read before (that one) didn't particularly make me want to read more, I couldn't find Turgenev in translation, and I'm putting off Nabokov's autobiography until I'm more familiar with his fiction. I'll see if I have time for Perrotta.

Over the last couple of months, I've been in a RL reading group on African fiction. It's been very interesting, even if some of the discussions have taken a... let's say "interesting" turn, given the political aspect of post-colonialist literature. (Apparently to some, the idea that Achebe could be quoting a white British poet in the title of Things Fall Apart is in itself racist.)

I never knew Libra was a mod????
What,....next you gonna tell me Sparkchaser is one too?
:D
You guys should get more frightening mods,i thing Goerges W is out of job....

As for the BOTM,the one lesson i learnd was to never join in a discussion involving a book that is precious to you.It's like talking with a few poeple openly about a good firend of yours.
One has to have a certain detachement from the book analized,otherway one tempers raise for silly raisons.(my wife insist on injecting me for rabies every years).
Maybe if Lenny nero was picking the BOTM sometime we could have interesting chats.:p

On reading the thread for Embers - I don't think that it was Libra's or Robert's intention that you stop the discussion or move the discussion away from the points you were making. I interpreted them more as "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" type comments.
In any case, they were only comments, not votes.

Exacly.(Sorry Thomas,I know it is one of your faves.:blush: I thought I showed you my Mod badge?;))

So moderators aren't allowed to have their own opinions on books now?
I was wondering the same thing.

saliotthomas said:
never join in a discussion involving a book that is precious to you. It's like talking with a few poeple openly about a good firend of yours.
Good point. So, any more book friends we can dissect for you? :D
Libra said:
I thought I showed you my Mod badge?
Badges? We don't gotta show no one our stinkin' badges!

-Are physical bookclub discussions that much different than online ones? If so, how? And which is better?

I think that online book discussions are better because you don't have to "go" to every meeting and if you don't like the book, you don't have to discuss it.

Leeny
I think that online book discussions are better because you don't have to "go" to every meeting and if you don't like the book, you don't have to discuss it.

Convenience is definitely a plus for online discussions. You can have an asymmetrical discussion. Where I live, a book club regularly meets during the morning. As the group consists mostly of seasoned citizens, such an arrangement doesn't work for me, let alone their reading interests which are fairly predictable. I can stomach a bad book or two for the sake of the group, but there are limits. Excellent comments Leeny.:flowers:

saliotthomas
As for the BOTM,the one lesson i learnd was to never join in a discussion involving a book that is precious to you.It's like talking with a few poeple openly about a good firend of yours.
One has to have a certain detachement from the book analized,otherway one tempers raise for silly raisons.(my wife insist on injecting me for rabies every years).

Yep, when certain authors are not "liked," by others, I get perplexed and then annoyed. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the other person in your opinion, you can't understand why another person doesn't "see" what you possibly "see" or infer from the reading. A passage is declared "stupid" by someone else, but is insightful to you, since you know the historical context or hidden meaning.

Maybe if Lenny nero was picking the BOTM sometime we could have interesting chats

Imagine the literary deconstruction of one of those books!

"The whipping scene with her breathlessly asking for more was so contrived, it didn't seem genuine to me.......":lol:

Okay, moving on.....

The host is standing up winding his watch, yawning and saying "Well, it is getting to feel like bedtime to me."
I certainly hope no one here takes that as any implication about this particular discussion.
It's just a direct statement about what the host is doing in his own house. And it's only his opinion, isn't it? The guests need not feel any impulse to cut it short and leave. No way! The plain words clearly don't say anything about leaving or cutting short. But I'm headed toward bed, anyway.

[Sorry for resurrecting this after a long break in the conversation, but I really did have something to take care of in the other room and it was a thought that got interrupted.]

The mod here never make me fell like i was the guest,nor did they offers coffe or told me to go to bed.(Well if Libra asked i just might reconsider:D.)
It is a forum not a kindergarden,we all are guests and hosts,mods are here for major argument and insults.
I think all this is getting to Libra and in all honesty she does not diserve it.Personnaly if i have probleme with ether mods,i tell them straight and when it occures,and usualy things sort out well.
With all respect for you and Pont,Peder.

Thank you for the respect SalioThomas,
It is kindly noted.
For myself, I find it surprising that on a literary forum, such as this one, there is surprise and even umbrage that a given set of printed words can have different layers of meaning depending on their context, and that the simple fact cannot be taken for what it is -- different people seeing and hearing and reading things differently. It is not a new concept. And if we can't live in peace with that idea, then that bodes ill for serious discussion of books (IMHO of course.)
Reciprocal respects to yourself, SalioThomas.

The mod here never make me fell like i was the guest,nor did they offers coffe or told me to go to bed.(Well if Libra asked i just might reconsider:D.)
It is a forum not a kindergarden,we all are guests and hosts,mods are here for major argument and insults.
Very well said Thomas.:)

Want coffee ?(I also have some cheesecake)lol

different people seeing and hearing and reading things differently. It is not a new concept. And if we can't live in peace with that idea, then that bodes ill for serious discussion of books
Yes,people understanding something differently then what was meant is not a new concept.

Back