• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fought over any good books lately?

And it's always lovely when no one twists and reneges on their meaning. :)
It's even lovelier when someone is direct and can discuss something in a mature manner,when it happens,that way there would be no misunderstandings and spiteful spews in the long run.:)

It's even lovelier when someone is direct and can discuss something in a mature manner,when it happens,that way there would be no misunderstandings and spiteful spews in the long run.:)
If one has a mature counterpart it makes all the difference. :)

Truthfully when those bombs were dropped by the two moderators, I was in such shock I could hardly believe my eyes, and as I posted previously in this thread I would not ever have mentioned it at all if not for this thread bringing it to mind again.
Thank you sincerely Scott.

As for the BOTM,the one lesson i learnd was to never join in a discussion involving a book that is precious to you.It's like talking with a few poeple openly about a good firend of yours.
One has to have a certain detachement from the book analized,otherway one tempers raise for silly raisons.(my wife insist on injecting me for rabies every years).
I'm truly sorry if you were distressed by the analysis, it certainly was not my intention. :flowers:

You might be right about that, it could go either way IMO, one could perhaps get a deeper understanding and love the book more, or the analysis could feel like sniping.

If one has a mature counterpart it makes all the difference. :)
Maturity does not come with age.:)

Truthfully when those bombs were dropped by the two moderators, I was in such shock I could hardly believe my eyes, and as I posted previously in this thread I would not ever have mentioned it at all if not for this thread bringing it to mind again.
Thank you sincerely Scott.
Really now Pontalba,aren't you exaggerating? "bombs and shock?" why? because we did not agree on your view of the book? Don't I have the right to say my opinion and isn't that what a discussion is about? In another suggestion thread I had suggested "A long Way Gone" as a book for December and it was tagged as "too much of a downer" for December with the Holidays, so I backed out of my suggestion.Should I have been shocked and bombed because someones opinion on a book is not the same as mine? Maturity also has to do with accepting that there is a possibility you misunderstood my comment and try and conversate about it.

This is really getting tiring.
I suggest we stop lecturing each other on what their reaction should have been, and start accepting good-faith statements for the truth they are. Because I have been restraining myself and haven't even come close to telling you all how pissed off I was. I have never seen the like on a forum, nor a discussion such as this one. So let's knock it off huh?
Perhaps it would be much better if we discussed the topic and not each other. And civilly if possible.

Maturity does not come with age.:)

Really now Pontalba,aren't you exaggerating? "bombs and shock?" why? because we did not agree on your view of the book? Don't I have the right to say my opinion and isn't that what a discussion is about? In another suggestion thread I had suggested "A long Way Gone" as a book for December and it was tagged as "too much of a downer" for December with the Holidays, so I backed out of my suggestion.Should I have been shocked and bombed because someones opinion on a book is not the same as mine? Maturity also has to do with accepting that there is a possibility you misunderstood my comment and try and conversate about it.

I'm not sure you use the right "smiley" there Pont???

This:angry:eek:r maybe this:banghead6mx:would suit better the meaning of you sentence.

As for the Bomb,i'm bewildered.Really.

LOL I have no words for the depth of the opaque thinking I am encountering here.

Libra, your post was tantamount to saying "shut up you all". IMO

Saliotthomas, why on earth give one's self a headache over this business, of course it is your prerogative. :confused:

I suggest we stop lecturing each other on what their reaction should have been, and start accepting good-faith statements for the truth they are. Because I have been restraining myself and haven't even come close to telling you all how pissed off I was. I have never seen the like on a forum, nor a discussion such as this one. So let's knock it off huh?
Perhaps it would be much better if we discussed the topic and not each other. And civilly if possible.

Too bloody right.

Well, then it's a good thing it's long since been established that that's not at all what Libra meant, isn't it?
I'm not sure BG, she insists on thinking she doesn't have a right to her own opinion and that is not what I meant at all. /shrugs/

LOL I have no words for the depth of the opaque thinking I am encountering here.

Libra, your post was tantamount to saying "shut up you all". IMO

Saliotthomas, why on earth give one's self a headache over this business, of course it is your prerogative. :confused:
I would never say that.
I am done talking to you Pontalba,I will be the more mature one.Enjoy.

Peder,the topic went awry for me when I was acussed(in a spiteful way) of ending a book discussion.I tried to explain that my comment was not so,and I do have the right defend myself.I realized that with a person who is adamant on being right using innuendos and sarcasm,and not being direct and dealing with a problem they had with me two months ago ,you can't find a solution.

I also realized that when a person knows exacly what my words mean, can have a conversation all on her/his own,since one thing I say ,they turn it into other meanings that helps them think they are that much more right and the need to have the last word in.a.k.a the Phew.

With that said,the topic at hand: The BOTM is for everyone who wants to participate and make suggestions.I don't choose the book every month and since March that I have been here,January's pick is my only suggestion that was chosen.I don't have that kind of power to choose what we read,otherwise it would be historical fiction every month.:D

Getting back on topic, if anyone's interested, here are the books we read in the African Lit reading group I've been in for the last few months:
  • Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
  • Under the Tongue, Yvonne Vera
  • Les Honneurs Perdus, Calixthe Beyala (not available in [-]insularian [/-] English) ;)
  • Secrets or From A Crooked Rib, Nuruddin Farah
Other books discussed but not read by the whole group included Ivan Vladislavic's The Restless Supermarket, Chris Abani's Graceland, Tsitsi Dangarembga's Nervous Conditions, Ngugi wa Thiong'o's The Wizard of the Crow, Maryse Condé's Segu, Alaa al-Aswany's The Yacoubian Building and a bunch of others. Usually we'd go for two hours, with the first hour being a talk by someone knowledgeable and the second being discussion of this week's book.

Some conclusions:
1. Reading groups are great for introducing people to new works, but also very frustrating in that everyone will introduce everyone to new books and your TBR list can get very cluttered. :)
2. RL reading groups are a lot of fun, but without a moderator they tend to be dominated by one or two people at the expense of others.
3. Everyone brings their own preconceptions and experiences to the table. Always. They're just easier to identify and talk out IRL.
4. Wikipedia and google spoil you. Check facts in advance.
5. The Restless Supermarket sounds like a ton of fun.

I shall rejoin the BOTM,when i can find the books and with a cool head.I shall also stick my tongue out to limitated my spelling monstrosity.And try to find interesting things to say.....ah the new year resolution.

Getting back on topic, if anyone's interested, here are the books we read in the African Lit reading group I've been in for the last few months:
  • Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
  • Under the Tongue, Yvonne Vera
  • Les Honneurs Perdus, Calixthe Beyala (not available in [-]insularian [/-] English) ;)
  • Secrets or From A Crooked Rib, Nuruddin Farah
Other books discussed but not read by the whole group included Ivan Vladislavic's The Restless Supermarket, Chris Abani's Graceland, Tsitsi Dangarembga's Nervous Conditions, Ngugi wa Thiong'o's The Wizard of the Crow, Maryse Condé's Segu, Alaa al-Aswany's The Yacoubian Building and a bunch of others. Usually we'd go for two hours, with the first hour being a talk by someone knowledgeable and the second being discussion of this week's book.

Some conclusions:
1. Reading groups are great for introducing people to new works, but also very frustrating in that everyone will introduce everyone to new books and your TBR list can get very cluttered. :)
2. RL reading groups are a lot of fun, but without a moderator they tend to be dominated by one or two people at the expense of others.
3. Everyone brings their own preconceptions and experiences to the table. Always. They're just easier to identify and talk out IRL.
4. Wikipedia and google spoil you. Check facts in advance.
5. The Restless Supermarket sounds like a ton of fun.

I am interested.

I will look into these titles,which do you recommend I start with since I have not delved into African Lit?

Thomas,my spelling is not good also.

I am interested.

I will look into these titles,which do you recommend I start with since I have not delved into African Lit?

Thomas,my spelling is not good also.

I'm not BG, but I've read Things Fall Apart and From a Crooked Rib, and liked them both. In fact, Things Fall Apart was one of the first African works I read for my challenge. I like how it depicts the change Colonization forced upon this part of Africa, and the rammifications of that change.
From a Crooked Rib will likely make you angry. Of course, that isn't necessarily a bad reaction. You may find yourself doing follow-up research of the treatment of women in Somalia and other countries where female circumcision is still practiced.

I'm not BG, but I've read Things Fall Apart and From a Crooked Rib, and liked them both. In fact, Things Fall Apart was one of the first African works I read for my challenge. I like how it depicts the change Colonization forced upon this part of Africa, and the rammifications of that change.
From a Crooked Rib will likely make you angry. Of course, that isn't necessarily a bad reaction. You may find yourself doing follow-up research of the treatment of women in Somalia and other countries where female circumcision is still practiced.

Thanks Abecedarian.

Back