• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fought over any good books lately?

SFG75

The New York Times has an excellent article about the good, the bad, and the ugly, regarding book club discussion groups.

A few questions for thought/debate.....:whistling:

-Are physical bookclub discussions that much different than online ones? If so, how? And which is better?

-To what extent do you decide not to participate in a discussion because a boo is too "literary" or not "literary" enough? What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?

What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?

Well, I have a lot of books-in-waiting as it is and I only average about 4 books a month anyway. It's something that I plan on doing eventually.

What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?

Lack of interest in many of the titles and besides, my TBR pile is too big for me to be reading things not in it.

BTW, that article was great.

That chardonnay is a real deal-breaker!

Other than that, one rarely gives real reasons. :cool:

I'm with Anonymous:

"A real person has two reasons for doing anything... a good reason and the real reason."​

Sorry but I didn’t get what’s wrong with chardonnay?
I know it’s a sort of wine but does it have any other meaning in this context?
Is it considered cheap?

Sin,
It was mentioned as a reason in the article which was why I picked up on it. I think it was also the wine that was extolled in the movie "Sideways."
But as for me, it's just a matter of taste. I have drunk about a thousand gallons of it by now, and I'm ready for a change. It's a pleasant wine that many people like, so it seems to be always on wine lists and always offered. I don't know of anything against it.
Peder

The New York Times has an excellent article about the good, the bad, and the ugly, regarding book club discussion groups.

A few questions for thought/debate.....:whistling:

-Are physical bookclub discussions that much different than online ones? If so, how? And which is better?
I have not been in a physical book club,not that I haven't looked but I do live in a French province so it would be hard.

-
To what extent do you decide not to participate in a discussion because a boo is too "literary" or not "literary" enough? What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?

I enjoy the BOTM,(really?lol)I read books that I would never have picked up on my own which I have stated many times before.

My opinion ofcourse is, when you do decide to participate in a BOTM discussion,you have to read what is chosen from the group via polls or whatever.Now with that said,everyone has a choice and if they don't want to read a certain book thay can pass for that month.

I also believe that different suggestions ,genres,ideas have to be considered as not to be a monopoly on just classics and so forth.You have to include a variety of suggestions,not everyone reads Speak ,Memory and would prefer a science fiction.You also have to be willing to read other genres and get out of your comfort zone and read something new.
But,that is just my opinion.

As for the article,what can I say,Dan Brown...:whistling:,if the group wasn't willing to add variety,a BOTM is not going to work very well,about Oprah's picks,1% of the picks are not bad,as for the lady who was in the article,everyone has their choice of reading and what pleases them.That's all I will say on that.

And one more thing,if someone doen't like a book or their opinion about how good it is or not,that is their choice also,you can't make someone lovea book simply because you do.

Now SFG,aren't you going to give your opinion?;)

Other than that, one rarely gives real reasons. :cool:

I'm with Anonymous:

"A real person has two reasons for doing anything... a good reason and the real reason."​
You used to participate ,what went wrong?did we serve too much wine and not enough of the hard stuff?:flowers:

. . .You used to participate ,what went wrong?did we serve too much wine and not enough of the hard stuff?:flowers:

Hi Libra, No, actually I'm not really a booze man anymore, if ever I was. The attorney in my head says I probably shouldn't be answering this question, but I've never shied from challenge, so here are answers that are true enough.

There have been huge changes in my real life and in my forum lives (multiple) across numerous forums -- real upheavals. In consequence, I am very deliberately holding down my risk exposure here and elsewhere, and posting very little. As I have previously stated, I hope that the calmer atmosphere that seems to prevail here under the new management will work to my benefit in the form of a calmer forum life than I have occasionally had here. In addition, I have lately been fully involved in book discussions elsewhere, and in fact have not been able to read anything new at all for the past month or so -- or hardly anything. I'm actually very slowly working my way through How It Is by Samuel Beckett, paragraph by slow paragraph, about one a day on average, and having occasional delusions of maybe picking up a copy of Finnegans Wake when Beckett is done in several to six months -- although Bolano's 2666 is also definitely on my list and looks excellent. The occasional moments of creative thinking that arrive in my life, I have been using to create entries in blogland above, and I find that to be unexpectedly rewarding -- and peaceful. I sit quietly in my far corner of the attic up there and peck away at my typewriter.

And that is about the size of it, except to say that life has been very stressful for me since about the beginning of the year. The multiple precipitating reasons for these far-reaching life changes needn't really be discussed here. However, they are quite real, I can assure you, and so are their effects, as briefly summarized here.

I wish you every good fortune with the BOTM. As far as I can see you are doing fine.
Very best wishes,
peder

Hi Libra, No, actually I'm not really a booze man anymore, if ever I was. The attorney in my head says I probably shouldn't be answering this question, but I've never shied from challenge, so here are answers that are true enough.

There have been huge changes in my real life and in my forum lives (multiple) across numerous forums -- real upheavals. In consequence, I am very deliberately holding down my risk exposure here and elsewhere, and posting very little. As I have previously stated, I hope that the calmer atmosphere that seems to prevail here under the new management will work to my benefit in the form of a calmer forum life than I have occasionally had here. In addition, I have lately been fully involved in book discussions elsewhere, and in fact have not been able to read anything new at all for the past month or so -- or hardly anything. I'm actually very slowly working my way through How It Is by Samuel Beckett, paragraph by slow paragraph, about one a day on average, and having occasional delusions of maybe picking up a copy of Finnegans Wake when Beckett is done in several to six months -- although Bolano's 2666 is also definitely on my list and looks excellent. The occasional moments of creative thinking that arrive in my life, I have been using to create entries in blogland above, and I find that to be unexpectedly rewarding -- and peaceful. I sit quietly in my far corner of the attic up there and peck away at my typewriter.

And that is about the size of it, except to say that life has been very stressful for me since about the beginning of the year. The multiple precipitating reasons for these far-reaching life changes needn't really be discussed here. However, they are quite real, I can assure you, and so are their effects, as briefly summarized here.

I wish you every good fortune with the BOTM. As far as I can see you are doing fine.
Very best wishes,
peder

Peder,if you are calmer and stressless in your little attic room,then who am I to tell you to do otherwise.:)

Thanks Libra, I appreciate your understanding. We can only look to a better New Year. :flowers:

-To what extent do you decide not to participate in a discussion because a boo is too "literary" or not "literary" enough? What keeps you from participating in a B&R book of the month discussion?

Too literary = boring, pretentious, too much snobbery. (like my signature)
Not literary enough = base stories, formulaic and lacking substance.

But mostly the damn books other people choose just don't interest me.

When it reaches the point the posters are told they're discussing the book too much. ;)

Did this happen here or elsewhere pontalba,because you could have easily have said that this is how you felt or how you percieved it.(I don't think a comment like that was meant to stop a discussion)
Nobody can make you stop from doing something,it was your choice.

Did this happen here or elsewhere pontalba,because you could have easily have said that this is how you felt or how you percieved it.(I don't think a comment like that was meant to stop a discussion)
Nobody can make you stop from doing something,it was your choice.
http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/book-month/16646-july-2008-sandor-marai-embers-4.html
Please note posts number 124 and 125, and a small quote from said post.

Libra said: I think we are squeezing the book dry, trying to figure it out.Like a puzzle that will never get solved.

I rather took that to mean that was that.

http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/book-month/16646-july-2008-sandor-marai-embers-4.html
Please note posts number 124 and 125, and a small quote from said post.

I rather took that to mean that was that.

I sensed that this is what you were using inuendos for Pontalba,and I remember what I said I don't need to go read it over again.I stated my opinion and I respect others opinions, and in no way or form was that a statement to stop a discussion.

I don't think I have the power ,meaness or own the BOTM to tell people to end a discussion.

I sensed that this is what you were using inuendos for Pontalba,and I remember what I said I don't need to go read it over again.I stated my opinion and I respect others opinions, and in no way or form was that a statement to stop a discussion.

I don't think I have the power ,meaness or own the BOTM to tell people to end a discussion.

That was no innuendo, I believe it was a direct statement. I'm glad you remember.
Your statement was rather in the manner of the proverbial lead balloon. No matter, it's over and done with, I'd not have mentioned it except for this thread.

I think we are squeezing the book dry, trying to figure it out.Like a puzzle that will never get solved. My opinion of the book:

It is a beautiful written book, very descriptive of the surroundings,and a fast enjoyable read.With that said:D, I think it was all about the General, how it took him all those years to come to terms and explain ,more for himself than anyone else that he was betrayed by both his best friend, and wife.

He tried to see from their point of view and explain why they betrayed him kinda to the point where he understood and accepted the "why". Probably for his sanity,and maybe even because he could not accept that he might have been the problem.

He kept finding excuses that annoyed me. example: Krizstina , and how she was a free spirit and she was more like Konrad.

She had a choice and she picked the General so she has no pity from me.
Then having the nerve to call Konrad a coward!

Mistakes are made in life don't get me wrong but not talking to him for eight years and then asking for him when she was dying, I am sorry, too late.
Why does she ,free spirited and all, have more rights to life than the General?

I think if she had asked for him early on, it could have been different, but then again she was in on the plot so I don't know how the General would react.

As for Konrad, I think he did think of the friendship and that's why he didn't shoot the General, and left.

(I would not be a good juror):lol:

Was there supposed to be a moral to the story? I don't think it was teaching morality, just a well written story.

Would I want to know Krizstina's point of view?, no, because how could there be an excuse for ploting to kill your husband and running off with his best friend?

Konrad's point of view maybe, but we will never know.

There is nowhere in there about anything ending the discussion Pontalba.

That was no innuendo, I believe it was a direct statement. I'm glad you remember.
Your statement was rather in the manner of the proverbial lead balloon. No matter, it's over and done with, I'd not have mentioned it except for this thread.

there is nothing "direct" about this following statement Pontalba.

When it reaches the point the posters are told they're discussing the book too much. ;)

:D

Perhaps moderators don't realize the suasive power of their observations. There was an analogous remark by a different moderator questioning whether further discussion would really be of interest at that point. I took it to indicate his opinion that it was getting beyond interesting, so I cut it off and held my peace. Perhaps I was wrong to do that.

I thought I was hearing two negative votes from moderators about the course of the discussion. It's not my role to question moderators' judgement, so I obliged. In that respect, it seems that my reactions to what I was hearing were pretty much similar to Pontalba's.

Sin,
It was mentioned as a reason in the article which was why I picked up on it. I think it was also the wine that was extolled in the movie "Sideways."

He's obsessed with Pinot Noir. And it's not just a movie, but was a book first.

Back