• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Movie

Cannot wait to see this movie... I loved the first three ones! Curious... at my age! :D :p
Hope I will love it as much as the previous ones!

Saw it at midnigt the 17th/18th loved it! The only thing I didn't like was the Death Eaters outfits, it was like the wizarding worlds KKK except all in black.

I saw it today, and I liked it overall, but some parts I was very disappionted with.

The Death Eaters looked great on the whole, but I agree that the hoods were a little overdone. The masks were absolutely brilliant, IMO. The bit with them at the
Quidditch World Cup
looked amazing - it scared the pants off me (not literally.. that would be slightly illegal..)

The acting was much better in this film, with the usual exception of Daniel Radcliffe. Worst. actor. ever. Cedric Diggory and Victor Krum were both casted perfectly, in my opinion, but Fleur was casted horribly. They don't explain about Veelas at all in the movie, so I suppose it doesn't make much difference if she's pretty or not, but if you're staying true to the book, then I think they could have cast someone a lot better ie someone who was actually pretty.

The part of the film that spoiled it a bit for me, though, involved one of the Tri-Wizard challenges. In the one
with the dragons, Harry's dragon breaks free of its chain and starts chasing Harry around the castle. For 10 minutes. It got boring quickly, and they could have used this wasted time in adding in some of the good bits from the book that they omitted

The ending was a bit rushed, and they missed out a lot of the explination, so those who havn't read the book may not really understand. And also were was Winky? (I think that's the name of the elf?). She was a major part to the whole ending, but was omitted in the movie. I was extremely disappointed.

So, on the whole a good movie, but it fell a little short of my expectations.

[/rant]

i saw the movie a week ago. i saw the first two potter movies but wasn't able to see the third one.

anyway, i wasn't satisfied with the movie, there seems to be something lacking, not because of the parts omitted but in the way the story was put together, it seemed too fragmented

I love Harry Potter and man was I disappointed with this movie.

Overacting
Major omissions
Huge departures from the book (like with
the dragon chasing Harry all around the outside of the castle
The whole movie had a rushed feeling all the same though, and it skipped over so much that people who hadn't read the books probably would have a hard time figuring out why certain things were happening.

Honestly I thought this was the worst one so far.

DH and I watched this last night. I should have known this might be a weaker film since the book was so much of a "filler". I'm glad I saw it, but I wish I'd waited to rent it rather than paying full price..

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it very much. They're not the best movies ever but they manage to keep me entertained and that's all I ask for.

I saw the movie last night and was really happy with it. I must say, though, that I haven't read the book since it first came out, so some of the things that were obviously left out may not have been so obvious to me.

The ending was sufficiently sad, I felt, although I don't think the relationship between Cedric and Cho was captured very well. I think they have to walk a very fine line between filling out the character development and showing all of the plot, and I think they did it as best they could. I really hope the DVD is extended with extra scenes. I was a little disappointed that the final challenge didn't include a Dementor, because I thought that's where Harry really showed that he deserved to win the tournament - in every other challenge he'd cheated.

Also, Fleur Delacore had about 10 lines in the whole film, and I'm sure she had a much bigger role in the book, didn't she?

I still *love* moaning Myrtil. :D

I think they did about right for Cho. She has a bigger roll in the next book.

I thought it was better then the last movie. I thought they did a respectable job of cutting corners to keep the movie time down and still keep the important parts of the movie.

I would like to have seen them add the bit about the purse in because it plays an important part in later books.

Robert said:
I thought it was better then the last movie. I thought they did a respectable job of cutting corners to keep the movie time down and still keep the important parts of the movie.
I totally agree!! I thought the last one tried to do more character development, but at the expense of a lot of plot, and for that reason I came away disappointed.

Robert said:
I would like to have seen them add the bit about the purse in because it plays an important part in later books.
Purse... sorry, I can't recall what you're talking about! As I said, I read the book when it first came out and not since. But i've read books 5 and 6 recently.

I would also like to have seen some indications in Snape's character as to what is revealed in Book 6. I know that's difficult, especially as this movie was in post-production when Book 6 came out, but I think that's one of the disadvantages of doing these movies before the book series is complete.

MonkeyCatcher- I couldn't agree with you more! I love seeing how all the characters are developing and as actors/actresses they are all learning how to bring the books to the set much better. How again did Daniel Radcliff get the part of Harry? I still hate the "new" Dumbledore. He just doesn't have the air that Richard Harris had. He works too hard to be Dumbledore and just doesn't even get close to Richard's performance in the 1st movie.

Kookamoor said:
Purse... sorry, I can't recall what you're talking about! As I said, I read the book when it first came out and not since. But i've read books 5 and 6 recently.

Purse: money awarded the winner of a tournament.

Also, I thought they provided the important stuff about Snape when Harry was in Dumbledore's pensive.

Kookamoor said:
I still *love* moaning Myrtil. :D
I actually pictured Myrtle to be /much/ younger. She never looks right when I see her, because she looks about late 20's to me.

Harry gives his prize money (about 1000 galleons(sp), I believe) to Fred and George to start their joke shop.

Robert said:
Purse: money awarded the winner of a tournament.
Ah, okay. I wasn't thinking of that definition of purse! Good point - that should have been included, I guess. I think the movies aren't designed to flow like the books, which is a shame (see my comment above regarding Snape), but inevitable when they are coming out before the books are completed.

I saw this a week ago and will admit to seeing it twice..! I think it is the best film out of the 4 so far. Daniel Radcliff may be the worst actor out of the lot but i do think he was a slight improvment on the other films.
Mad - Eye was very good, though they made it obvious that he was drinking something dodgy, quite a lot. And the pensive scene wasn't quite right....whats with the flicking of the tongue by Barty Crouch Jnr!? Was he described as doing that in the book? I forget. I guess they needed some distinguishing feature.
The learning to dance scene was very funny. I think Ron is the best of them all.
Overall the film was a bit rushed. They tried to fit in as much of the book as they could to keep the fans happy. However the bits they did put in were very funny and when they arrive back after the graveyard scene, Fleurs reaction to seeing Cedric was quite good. That whole scene was done quite well and apart from Daniels bad crying technique he did a good job.

It occurs to me that they change something in the early part of the film that leads to one of the charges against Harry in OOTP.

Harry's wand was used to send the Dark Mark into the sky.

I wonder how they'll work around that in the next movie. Perhaps they'll leave it out?:confused:

I thought the only charges leading up to OFP was the Dementors that Harry spooked when in the presence of a Muggle (Dudley) pages that seems important. And the award money thats inmportant too, Fred and George can't just suddenly have money.

h_carnahan said:
And the award money thats inmportant too, Fred and George can't just suddenly have money.
It could be explained in the start of the next film. Was it even mentioned in TGOF book? Because recall Ron was suddenly being given gifts from the twins and didn't know where the money was coming from. I thought that Harry had kept that a secret from everyone (except, of course, the twins). Did we as readers know? Was the cash prize mentioned at the start of the movie when Dumbledore was talking about the competition?

There is only one solution to this quandry and that is to line up the books and read them again, and then watch the movie again! If only time would allow...

Kookamoor said:
It could be explained in the start of the next film. Was it even mentioned in TGOF book? Because recall Ron was suddenly being given gifts from the twins and didn't know where the money was coming from. I thought that Harry had kept that a secret from everyone (except, of course, the twins). Did we as readers know? Was the cash prize mentioned at the start of the movie when Dumbledore was talking about the competition?

There is only one solution to this quandry and that is to line up the books and read them again, and then watch the movie again! If only time would allow...
It was mentioned at the start - I'm pretty sure that was the major motive for Fred and George attempting to cross the age line and enter their names. Harry gives them the gold just before they get on the train back to London.

Yea, and he makes Fred and George buy Ron new dress robes. So I guess they could start off with that, but it will only be more difficult to write the movie if they have to include things from the previous ones as well...

Back