• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello Book & Reader Board...

meredithgreene

I just found this forum and am glad to see so many literary folk posting here. With my husband I write all kinds of fiction ebooks in several genres (mostly romance); my man helps keep reality ensconsed in the books and adds much flavor to the various characters. His books are (of course) the action-adventure sword wielding quest books.

We've been married twelve years and have four, clever and mostly-happy children. (Due to their ardent cleverness they are sometimes sent to their room, thus the 'mostly' part.)

We started a site and posted our own ebooks after finding traditional publishing is becoming rather passe. (For instance in Japan more people download ebooks to their phones and PDAs than have ever bought books.) In the USA last year ebook sales rose 140% from the year before, so poeple here are catching on to the fun of harboring books on your laptop to read in the doctor's office, verses the germ-infested magazine on the table.

Happy to be here. We're not ad-spammers, so I'll leave my ads in the siganture and merely post writing tips and book blogs from time to time.

Cheers!

Meredith

PS: For more info we post free chapters on fictionpress & writerscafe as well as writing tips and blogs on live journal and gather. (Just look up 'meredithgreene')

Hello, first a welcome. Then down to brass tacks:

We started a site and posted our own ebooks after finding traditional publishing is becoming rather passe.
Passé, or that you couldn't get your books traditionally published? I would venture the latter for traditional publishing is in no way passé. Book sales are up, more people are buying good old, hold in your hands, smell those pages, books by the millions.

(For instance in Japan more people download ebooks to their phones and PDAs than have ever bought books.)
Ever? Ever? Over a hundred years of publishing in Japan has been superceded in a couple by eBooks? I don' believe it. Do you have statistics on that? I had a quick check on Google but couldn't find any Japanese download charts, but I daresay that the bulk of those downloads will be non-fiction titles and then, when it comes to the fiction, they will still be authors contracted to publishing houses and not gung ho self-publishers.

In the USA last year ebook sales rose 140% from the year before, so poeple here are catching on to the fun of harboring books on your laptop to read in the doctor's office, verses the germ-infested magazine on the table.
Fun? Where's the fun in ebooks? Oh, and how much time to individuals actually spend in doctors' offices up and down the country, if that's a supposed benefit?

I'll leave my ads in the siganture and merely post writing tips and book blogs from time to time.
That's fine. I look forward to future discussions.

Someone just step on a Stewart anti-personnel device.

* i would have put the wistling yellow thing but i hate his guts,so i bad spell write instead *

Really like you Stewart!

oh and hello Meredith !

Riddlin?

LOL...

Congratulations Stewart, you have the most desperate reply yet. Guilty, my post is designed to incite a passionate response, but you take the cake of 'Gah! nooooo... say it ain't soooo!' spiel.

As far as publishers, we are in the process of publishing into paperback, however most of the folks that visit our site like the low ebook price tag (4-6 dollars), compared to the 14-19 dollars that a 500-page bound book would cost. They also like sending them as e-gifts, attached to an email and sent halfway across the world... with no postage costs.

TYPO: its 20.1% on the American ebooks sales. lol@myself not editing. Apologies. (AAP website, American Association of Publishers, Ebook sales are up 20.1% this year over last year in the US; while audio book sales fell compared to last year's figures, Ebook sales totaled 2.6 million dollars in US sales for February 2008 alone.)

Granted, the Japanese numbers are 1/3 'manga', but an ebook is an ebook. The youth there unfortunately have turned a rather 'blind eye' to its fantastically traditional, written past... but perhaps they will 'wise up' as they age. Ebooks there are approx. a 58 million dollar industry already; it is a 333% increase over last years sales there, according to the Digital Content Association of Japan. (You'll have to 'google' it...)

Now, I have several tangible tomes upon my own bookshelf, so there is yet a use for a good, hold-in-your-hands book. However, you must realize the persistant, unstoppable force of innovation and ease of material, costs and convenience.

I am certain people like you also put up desperate arguments on the idiocy of manual typewriters being replaced, or thought that automobiles would always be put together by good citizens instead of robotic arms... and thought that our phone banks would never be operated by rooms of barely-paid folks in India. Ebooks are more convenient, more cost effective and more friendly to the environoment, for, being digital, they require no paper, nor gasoline-powered trucks, nor trains or planes to deliver them, nor stores to store them, nor shelves to keep them and can be downloaded to almost any device, even a phone and read anywhere, as long as your battery does not give out. The fun lies therein for modern readers... especially those who simply do not have the time for bookstore perusal, nor room in their satchel/bag/purse for a book.

By all means keep your hope and spirits up; literature will not die with the paper-bound book. I and authors like me will make certain of that, since we are not afraid to embrace the future. We can always go to the library/museum and see paper-bound books whenever we wish, for free.

As far as brass tacks, those too were replaced long ago with better and more cost-effective materials. Thanks for the thought-invoking response.

Cheers...

thank you

Thank you for the welcome. I was gandering at your website... elegant and crisp. Earthy and incite-ful... its says 'yellow' to me *slaps myself* sorry. 'Marcello' looks like james dean would've if he'd acutally reached 40. Nicely done. Cheers!

Someone just step on a Stewart anti-personnel device.

* i would have put the wistling yellow thing but i hate his guts,so i bad spell write instead *

Really like you Stewart!

oh and hello Meredith !

I took my copy of Arthur C. Clarke's Reach for Tomorrow with me on my errands yesterday. It's an old paperback from the 70's in still pretty good condition. If I take care of it, it will still be readable twenty years from now. It's in English so I'll always be able to read it. I left it on the front seat of my car when I went into stores.

I don't have to worry about DRM or if the format will be around or supported in five years ot finding power for it, if I lose it then I only need to replace a single stand alone book, and I don't need to worry about it being taken from me and ending up in a pawn shop.

You make a fair argument. I have an old paperback copy of My Family and Other Animals which I would never give away nor throw out, but that is simply because I have a childhood attachment to it. As a mother of four, I see my children with their digital school books and computer-learning programs, verses the age-old stuffed-beyond-capacity backpack and know that the paper-bound book, while classic, will eventually be relagated to go the way of classical orchestral musical, not forgotten but with just a few (though well-loved) stations playing it. Youth will forget these classic things, then as they age grow to appreciate again the objects of old. Ebooks downloaded to the phone/PDA now... leather-bound copies of the Count of Monte Cristo later.

Cheers.

I took my copy of Arthur C. Clarke's Reach for Tomorrow with me on my errands yesterday. It's an old paperback from the 70's in still pretty good condition. If I take care of it, it will still be readable twenty years from now. It's in English so I'll always be able to read it. I left it on the front seat of my car when I went into stores.

I don't have to worry about DRM or if the format will be around or supported in five years ot finding power for it, if I lose it then I only need to replace a single stand alone book, and I don't need to worry about it being taken from me and ending up in a pawn shop.

I can also take my book and whack a hobo with it then go back to reading it. After I've wiped the hobo funk off of it.

Congratulations Stewart, you have the most desperate reply yet.
At the time of writing it was only one of two, so no big deal. Desperate? No, I don't think so. Enquiring? Curious? Sounds better.

Guilty, my post is designed to incite a passionate response, but you take the cake of 'Gah! nooooo... say it ain't soooo!' spiel.'
You cannot deny that my reply, that you incited, was a passionate response.

As far as publishers, we are in the process of publishing into paperback
At first I thought, back at the start you were calling that passé, but then I remembered you said traditional publishing, and self-publishing is not traditional, so much as it is desperate, much like my reply...supposedly.

lol@myself not editing.
Yes, I had a read of your free chapters. I was laughing too.

Ebooks [in Japan] are approx. a 58 million dollar industry already; it is a 333% increase over last years sales there, according to the Digital Content Association of Japan. (You'll have to 'google' it...)
Yes, but are we talking fiction, self-published fiction, how-to books, or d) other? And if an ebook is an ebook is an ebook then the numbers are little use because ebooks in themselves aren't an issue, as far as I'm concerned, it's the fiction side of ebooks and the sheer volume of poor quality ones that appear on the market, like yours, that obviously haven't seen the red pen of a credible editor.

I am certain people like you also put up desperate arguments on the idiocy of manual typewriters being replaced, or thought that automobiles would always be put together by good citizens instead of robotic arms... and thought that our phone banks would never be operated by rooms of barely-paid folks in India.
When you are quite finished, let's forget personal insults and deal purely with facts. Typewriters had to go in the onslaught of technology because it is easier, in a word processor to delete a word rather than feed in a new sheet and begin again. (Although, conversely, the typewriter days were beautiful because to churn out a novel you had to be committed, rather than just cut/copy/paste any old crap in Word and upload it to the internet.)

Automobiles, made by robotic arms, are a godsend because they bring down the prices of automobiles, making them more accessible. And I'm sure the poorly paid of India are poorly paid by western standards. The only downside is that, with the workforce replaced, by robotic arms or by Indian call centres, it looks like they have turned to writing ebooks. Ouch!

Ebooks are more convenient, more cost effective and more friendly to the environoment, for, being digital, they require no paper, nor gasoline-powered trucks, nor trains or planes to deliver them, nor stores to store them, nor shelves to keep them and can be downloaded to almost any device, even a phone and read anywhere, as long as your battery does not give out.
OKay, more cost effective:

1. To read an ebook I need an ebook reader - they cost money. To read a book I just need a book. Book wins.
  2. An ebook requires electricity to read it. A book doesn't. Book wins.
  3. An ebook format can be superceded and no longer be backwards compatible. I can read a book from hundreds of years ago. Book wins.
  4. An ebook requires a screen resolution that can be poorer than paper. A book is paper. Book wins.
  5. A ebook reader, by virtue of being technology, is going to get stolen. A mugger isn't interested in Marcel Proust. Book wins.
  6. All ebooks, by virtue of being on an ebook reader, are going to get stolen. Stealing a lot of books takes space. Book wins.
  7. ebooks are dependent on technology. A book isn't. Book wins.
The only times ebook wins are really in relation to storage space, searching, and distribution, two of which are more of an industry concern. And the searching feature, handy as it is, isn't going to be used by the greater number of ebook reader users. Just how many passages would the regular user want to take note of in a self-published fantasy/sci-fi/romance novel?

...literature will not die with the paper-bound book.
I know. If self-published ebooks become the livres du jour then literature will die.

I and authors like me will make certain of that, since we are not afraid to embrace the future.
While you are not afraid to embrace the future, how about you make use of the present and use your spellchecker from time to time? And I've found the perfect ebook for you: The Elements Of Style. It will help you not to make mistakes like:
“Ber!” he said, pointing a tiny finger at the bird; his arm stretched a little ways over the playpen rail. Michelle looked at her son with a smile, then glanced at the thrush.

“Bird.”, she said, softly; she lowered the sketch pad and leaned closer to the little boy. “Ethan... say ‘bird’.” The boy watched the little thrush with avid interest as it hopped around, valiantly wrestling with the thread.

“Ber.”, Ethan said, pointing again. Michelle laughed, quietly; the little bird eventually gave up the struggle and flew off; little boy sat back down and picked up a toy truck. Smiling, Michelle returned to her drawing.
You'll also learn about apostrophes. Wonderful things.

asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Food_eating_popcorn_03.gif

See what I miss when I have to go get my sons wisdom teeth pulled?

I am reading this 120 year old book, with red leather cover and lilys on it.The story is so thought provoking and a page turner that when I took it with me today, I started panicking that I would forget it somewhere.

Books would have to be banned ,or out of desperation not being able to find a copy ,for me to read an e-book.But , we all have our choices though.
I read an article somewhere,(making mental note to go look for it) about how book companys are going green and are planting trees.:)

Welcome.

Stewart, yes fairly done. I can concede my punctuation flaws. The only incorrect assumtion you made was 'self-publish'. Good college try, though. Indeed a passionate response. I am heartened that there are yet editors of your calibre.

The only incorrect assumtion you made was 'self-publish'.
"Belator Books are the cherished works of two independent writers, whose family-orientated books are available to the public here on this site."
Two independent writers disguised behind an imprint - that's self-publishing.

I know that I'm all for independent presses and have a number that I regularly buy books from, thereby supporting both press and the authors on their list. But when the independent press is a sham, putting out books only by the writers within its stable, who just so happen to be exclusively those running the show, then it's self-publishing, whether it come in a book or inferior form.

Back