• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hey Ice Hockey Fans !!!!! Deal?

pwilson said:
Personally, I have no problem with a hard fought tie during the regular season. As Motokid said, there's no way they would allow unlimited overtime during the regular season (nor should they) but it seems so unbalanced that a three hour game should come down to a glorified skills competition.
I completely agree. I HATE shootouts!
It's like deciding an extra inning baseball game with a home run contest.
. . . or a basketball game with free throws.

Apart from the shootouts, I must say I like the changes, if the first week is any indication of the rest of the season. There's more scoring, the tempo is faster and there's better flow to the game. The way hockey should be played. I love the removal of the red line (didn't think I would) opening up the long pass and seeing forwards fly through the neutral zone. Gotta love it!

With the speed of the game picking up and the crackdown on clutching and grabbing, I think we're going to see the weeding-out of mobility-challenged big hulks whose only contribution is to plug up the neutral zone and flatten people. I paraphrase from Gretzky, 'If you can't skate, you won't be playing.'

Any way to avoid a tie is better than a tie. If you (anybody) can think of a better way to decide a winner in hockey other than a shoot-out then I'm all ears.

With a tie both teams walk away with one point. And tie's suck. Nobody cheers or roots for a tie.

With the shoot-out both teams still get the one point for the tie, and one team walks away with a bonus point for beating the other teams goalie.

It is a fan pleaser. It's scoring, and/or goal tending, and it's declaring a winner.

Flyers and Maple Leafs...game 1 of this season....tomorrow night (Oct. 11)...

maple leafs suck maple leafs suck maple leafs suck

I can't deny that shootouts are fun and exciting to watch, but I still don't see the necessity of declaring a winner. I don't mind ties. Sometimes games deserve to end in a tie.

If two teams have played hard for 60 minutes plus a five minute, sudden death overtime and are still tied, it means that in that game on that night, they were equally matched -- a tie is representative of the game as a whole. It doesn't need to go any further.

BTW, I like playoffs that go into extra periods and will watch them to the bitter end. :D

ell

What other sports can end with a tie?

Both teams still walk away with a point...one just gets the extra point.

It's a good thing....unless you team is constantly on the losing end....:p

Ell said:
Sometimes games deserve to end in a tie.

If two teams have played hard for 60 minutes plus a five minute, sudden death overtime and are still tied, it means that in that game on that night, they were equally matched -- a tie is representative of the game as a whole. It doesn't need to go any further.
ell
Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Friggin maple leafs :mad::mad:.....it's a good thing there's plenty more games this season....

I would like to know from any Toronto fans how you feel about Darcy Tucker?

I've never seen a guy act like he's been shot square in the head so often, draw a penalty, and then be back on the ice less than a minute later and looking like there's nothing wrong. The guy's a complete ass. He goes down, stick flying, and proceeds to "fake" unconsciousness. He doesn't move. Face on the ice...then after the penalty is called he's miraculously healed....

If you are a Toronto fan are you at all embarrased by his rediculous theatrics?

Doug Johnson said:
I think he got cross checked in the head by a 240 pounder last night. That glazed eye look is hard to fake.

Nope...he took a dive, like he usually does...acted unconscious until the whistle blew....waited until he got help to get off the ice...then 15 seconds later he was skating on the ice and scored the teams first goal....

He's a pantywaist that takes major dives to get penalties called....I've way more respect for Domi than Tucker....Darcy Tucker should win Oscars long before he wins Stanley Cups....but then again...how long has it been since Toronto won one of those....:p :p :p

Brashear skated by him...they showed it from a wierd angle, but there was not much of a bump by hockey standards...and in typical darcy fashion the stick goes flying...he crumbles like he's been shot...he lays completely motionless until the whislte blows...gets up...not a mark on him...no blood....no nothing...and less than 15 seconds later he's back on the ice....if I pratically knock you out are you gonna be able to physically exert yourself in less than 15 seconds after you are "helped" to your feet by two other people......come on.....the guy dives....he dives big time....he's a fraud....an embarrassment to all hockey players....

Tucker is not the type to take a dive like that. If he's on the ice like that he's too hurt to get up and throw a punch.

ions said:
Tucker is not the type to take a dive like that. If he's on the ice like that he's too hurt to get up and throw a punch.

What Darcy Tucker are you watching????? He's the biggest diver in the entire league. The announcers see it, the fans see it, and the players see it. Only Toronto fans can't see that.....

That guy deserves oscar nominations after every season. How hurt can he be if he doesn't miss a shift, and he is back on the ice 15 seconds later? Come on.....he dives better than most olympic divers.....

Did you see Sami Kapanen from the Flyers get drilled in the playoffs that one year? He's a tiny guy and got competely hammered. He struggled to his feet, could barely skate, fell to his knees a few times and was eventually pulled off the ice by his teammates because he had no idea where he was. He did not lay on the ice motionless, and he did not get back on the ice the rest of the night, let alone 15 seconds later. What about the famous Eric Lindros hit with Scott Stevens...now that was hurt....

Even Mats Sundin, christ...that guy took the puck to his face so hard he almost lost his eye and he was not completely motionless on the ice, face down....trying to draw a penalty....when you are in pain you are moving around, holding what hurts....when you are knocked unconscious you are not skating again in less than a minute.

Tucker dives....plain and simple. I'm not saying Brashear did nothing to warrent a penalty, but Tucker goes too far in his embelishment. It's so easy to see.

Doug Johnson said:
Like I said, I didn't see it, but Brashear has gooned more people than Tucker has taken dives.

gooning is part of hockey...just like Domi...taking a dive and faking complete and total unconciousness should be an embarrassment for the entire team....I'm glad he's on the Leafs team and not the Flyers....I'd be truely shocked and horrified to see him in Orange and Black....I don't like that style of play.

I typically only watch Flyers games...and I never watch the Maple Leafs play anybody unless they are playing the Orange & Black...

Maybe if Tucker wasn't hockey's biggest tool people wouldn't feel the desire to pound his face against the boards....:D

Motokid said:
Maybe if Tucker wasn't hockey's biggest tool people wouldn't feel the desire to pound his face against the boards....:D

That would be a lot more funny if Tucker didn't have 20 stitches in his face.

Back