• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hey Ice Hockey Fans !!!!! Deal?

Motokid said:
I just hope he can make it through the entire season and stay relatively healthy...when's the last time he managed that? I heard it's been quite a while....
The year before last was his big year point-wise and he played pretty much every game. You're right though, due to the style that he plays, he is definitely injury prone. Still, when you look at his stats, no matter how few games he's played in a given year he's never scored less than 50 pts and is usually much nearer to 100. Plus, the first time you see him make an impossible pass from behind the net or knock down a big defenseman you'll forgive him for the bumps and bruises.

Motokid said:
You feel sick???? Try being a fan of any Philadelphia area sports team....professional that is....Phantoms don't quite count...

How many championships has Denver won in the last 20 years?

I'm not heart broken for you right now.......

LOL-Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers. If my history is right, the last championship was from the Sixers....right? :confused: :confused: 1982 or something like that-Dr. J. and Mo Cheeks.

Motokid said:
One more good reason why I hate the idea of multi-million dollar-a-year salary professionals playing in the Olympics....

There are few reasons better then this one. I hope it isn't too serious.

OK, Motokid brought me into this. :D

I am a Red Wings fan, through and through. And no, not because they have been so good as of late. I started watching these guys back in 1977 when they played as if they belonged in the IHL. But along with Motokid, I have found a soft spot for the Flyers since I moved to the area four years ago. Heck, I'm a hockey fan after all. Any level, I'll watch.

Now just to say, this is an unbiased comment, but I think the Flyers have the best shot at winning the Cup this year. They have probably the best team. They have brought in a lot of young talent that is hungry for a Cup. And this talent will keep them good for a while yet, which is a credit to management with the new salary cap.

I will even go out on a limb and say the Flyers WILL win the Cup this year. Last time I predicted them to win was in 1997. Thankfully I was wrong when my Wings beating them in 4. (My wife doesn't allow me to talk about the 97 Cup Finals ........ she grew up in PA.) My friends and family were happy too that I was wrong, because the year before I correctly predicted the Avs at the start of the season to win the Cup.

I think all the rule changes are for the best of the game. I think the tag-up rule and getting rid of two line passes was too long in the making. (Now they need automatic icing to cut down on injuries.) I am not happy about the lack of goalies playing the puck. The rules takes away a "tool of the trade" from them, but I can live with it. But shoot-out? I HATE IT!! But then my opinion only matter to myself. ;)

I say, if the goalies can play the puck outside of the crease, then they should be fair game for being checked just like any other player, but if the damn goalie must be "protected" by the rules, then there needs to be some limitation in what they can do.

And the shoot-out....nobody likes a tie....it's just so..... unsatisfying......

Motokid said:
I say, if the goalies can play the puck outside of the crease, then they should be fair game for being checked just like any other player, but if the damn goalie must be "protected" by the rules, then there needs to be some limitation in what they can do.

Good point. And I for one wouldn't mind seeing them able to play the puck outside the crease and be fair game. Heck, they wear more pads then anyone else. I should know. I have played goalie before.

Motokid said:
And the shoot-out....nobody likes a tie....it's just so..... unsatisfying......

That's what the playoffs are for. ;) I can understand the desire to get rid of the ties. But I think shootout is a lousy way to do it. Sure, we want to get rid of the trap. But shootout brings the game down to just a couple of skills. You take the game away from key components. If we want to get rid of ties, just keep playing overtime.

Though, honestly at this point, I will take shootout, because it means that the NHL is back and that afterall is the most important thing.

Remember the Flyers and Penguins playoff game that lasted into the 7th overtime? You can't have sudden death until someone scores...that just makes the game last too long....play-offs is fine...but if you can't win the game in 60 minutes, plus the extra 10 minutes or whatever of overtime...then the shoot-out is the next best thing....nobody likes a tie....

The problem with goalies being fair game.....the goalie is the guy most teams would target for the biggest, meanest, and dirtiest hits....think about the idea of knocking out a Brodeur or Roy (when he was not retired).....

Motokid said:
Remember the Flyers and Penguins playoff game that lasted into the 7th overtime? You can't have sudden death until someone scores...that just makes the game last too long....play-offs is fine...but if you can't win the game in 60 minutes, plus the extra 10 minutes or whatever of overtime...then the shoot-out is the next best thing....nobody likes a tie....

Yes I do remember that game, and eventually shut it off before it was over. It's a good point, and I don't argue it. I just HATE shootout and wish there was a better alternative.

Motokid said:
The problem with goalies being fair game.....the goalie is the guy most teams would target for the biggest, meanest, and dirtiest hits....think about the idea of knocking out a Brodeur or Roy (when he was not retired).....

Another good point. But what, 70% of the time the goalie wasn't in a position to be hit? And the two guys you mentioned had/have a knack of coming out when no one was around, playing the put up to their teammates, and creating scoring opportunities from their timely pass. I realize that those kind of passes could also stop scoring opportunities the other way, especially with the trap. I guess in many ways it goes along with the obstruction penalties. They are trying to let the offensive players to dictate the outcome of the game more then defense, which is a good thing.

The bottom line is fans don't like 1-0 or 2-1 games.....they like scoring. And the fans really don't like 1-1 or 2-2 games.
Scoring goals is what the fans want. And tie games is what the fans don't like...

Shoot-out provides the fans with what they want....can't wait for the "real" season to start.....Flyers vs. Rangers.....

scooter13 said:
But shootout brings the game down to just a couple of skills. You take the game away from key components. If we want to get rid of ties, just keep playing overtime.

Though, honestly at this point, I will take shootout, because it means that the NHL is back and that afterall is the most important thing.

Personally, I have no problem with a hard fought tie during the regular season. As Motokid said, there's no way they would allow unlimited overtime during the regular season (nor should they) but it seems so unbalanced that a three hour game should come down to a glorified skills competition. It's like deciding an extra inning baseball game with a home run contest.

That said, I'm with Scooter. As long as hockey's back, I'm willing to make some compromises.

Just a few scant days away from real hockey!!!! The weather has turned cooler (42 F this morning 5 C ) and I can feel it finally getting here....

Drop The Puck boys !!!!! We've get our hockey back.... :D :D :D

That's because canadians are stupid :p :p :p

I specify ICE because around where I live roller-hockey is huge, that's hockey on rollerblades (inline roller skates), and field hockey is played largely by girls...

October 5th is finally here. The puck falls tonight.

Hockey is finally back.

Grab a beer, a bag of pretzels and pull up a chair....

Back