• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How long?

Wabbit

How long does it normally take you to finish a normal sized book? By normal sized book, i'm talking about 300-500 pages.

I work a lot and so I normally I do a lot of reading on the train. I also do a lot of reading on the weekend. Sitting on my sofa with my coffee/hot chocolate and some munchies :)

It normally takes me a 1 - 2 weeks because I have so little free time and have to do most of my reading on the train. If I am REALLY into a book and I have a clear weekend then I normally devour it within the 2 days of the weekend.

What about you lot?

Regards
Sillywabbit

When I was working 40+ hour weeks, it took me 3-5 days to finish a "normal" sized book. Now that I can read while I work, it takes me 1-2 days per normal book. I usually slack off reading on the weekend's so I don't read books too quickly (and I like to spend time with my husband).

5 days average - I only read on the train to and from work. Too much other stuff to do any other time. :(

just the length of the book doesnt matter. its the print size which makes a big difference
the time can vary from 2 days to 2 weeks for me.
it depends obviously on how much i like that book and whether i am going to college or bunking it;)
well i guess the average is one week

About 3 days. Unless it's a boring book. Then it will take forever. Or at least, it seems like forever.

Depends on the book. Every so often, I have a weekend reading binge and can read three or more genre novels in a weekend. But those do not have sophisticated language. I usually can finish 1 or 2 of that sort in a week, but if it has more literary language (Cold Mountain is a good example) it may take a couple weeks. Non-fiction will take that long, usually, too.

I think I fall in with the rest of you. I average anywhere from 1-3 books per week and as Piedro suggested, the print size can make a definite difference.
Clancy is one that always screws with me. It may take me a week to read the first 400 pages and a day to read the last 400.
With a book that I'm really into I'd say 2 days is the average.

RaVeN

Depends entirely on circumstances, for instance ive read about 4 books in the last week and a half, but ive been off work - normally it takes me around 3 or 4 days up to a week.

Phil

during a normal week (reading in bed and in bath) about a week
reading during time off work about 3 days

Depends on the length of the book. eg I finished off Behold the Man (120 pages or so in 2 sittings, whilst Clive Barker's Weaveworld took me a month or 2)

Normal size book- usually a week or so, but it depends on my commitments (or holiday time- I got through Martin's 3 chosty books from ASoIaF in a few days as I was bored despite them being average to me- Martin's Fevre Dream was much better and not so obsessed with shock tactics).

piedro said:
just the length of the book doesnt matter. its the print size which makes a big difference
the time can vary from 2 days to 2 weeks for me.
Same here. Some books are printed as if they didn't want to waste paper, using a really small font, lines jammed together as closely as possible, and words printed to within 1/16th of an inch of the edge of the page. I hate those because I feel like I'm getting nowhere due to the amount of time it takes to read a page.

The other extreme are these books that are printed with four inches of blank space around the paragraphs and the lines are spaced seven inches apart in a really big font. These give the impression that they didn't have a lot to say, but wanted their book to look big and impressive when on the shelf.

Yeah, I exaggerated. Sue me.

Hey I was wondering How long does it take you to finish a Book? For me it takes me 3-4 days depending how interesting the book is and 5-6 or more if its a thick book. n if its a book that is not so interesting it takes me month's i put it down and go back to it when I am ready.

How long (total pages), font size of the text, how much time I have to read, and how interesting the book is to me can all be a determining factor on how long it takes me to finish a book. I have a mild form of dyslexia which can slow me down a bit but usually I can finish the average size (200-300 pages) novel in a 7 to 10 days

I just recently finished Under the Dome by SK which is over a 1000 pages long. It took me about 3 weeks to read. I haven't read a book that long in quite some time.
If the book is really interesting to me then I may have a hard time putting it down and I will finish faster, but if a book is not interesting to me I may make myself read it when I really don't want to. This way I can hopefully move onto something I will enjoy more.

An average book of 350 pages or thereabouts can take me about three days to read. It also depends on interest because that determines the speed and determination to read. Although I have some thick books that I've been reading off and on for several months now. It's usually the kind of thing that involves when the mood strikes me in those cases.

Like all of you I could usually polish off a book in about three or four days. But boy, do children change all of that!!! I'm easily looking at ten days to a fortnight now per average length book. Big change, but I know one day I'll return to gobbling them all up quickly again.

Back