• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How Many Books Do You Read in a Year (approx.)?

eyez0nme said:
Pretty good, but a atrocious ending, might I add.
I'm hoping the same thing for you.
You two are hilarious. If I didn't know any better I'd think you two are doing this on purpose to lighten up the place. :)

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I read < 40 books per year. Conservative estimate, but probably closer to being true than wrong.

How do you guys do it, esp when you have to juggle your time with your jobs? And especially mothers... unless you cheat by reading Pynchon to your children when they go to bed, I don't know how you guys do it.

ds

You two are hilarious. If I didn't know any better I'd think you two are doing this on purpose to lighten up the place. :)

You monster!

How do you guys do it, esp when you have to juggle your time with your jobs? And especially mothers... unless you cheat by reading Pynchon to your children when they go to bed, I don't know how you guys do it.

ds

Pynchon to children?! You monster!

I agree. Granted my time management skills are lacking but even if I were better organized I could see adding maybe another ten books. I don't presume my reading speed to be that far away from a seasoned readers average. Let's see some page averages here! ;)

so far only two people have said they read more per year than me. Well, i'll start counting more carefully once the year starts, and i will beat those records!

lol. I"m pretty competetive.

Is the number of books one reads per year important?

Yes and no. Important to me because I enjoy reading so I want to read as much as possible. No because it's not important to compare to people here. Reading tastes are too varied. Yeah I could increase my quantity by reading a pile of teen fantasy/thrillers/pop-mass and sticking to short works but that's not what I enjoy most. Yeah teen fantasy can be thick but it reads very quickly. Very quickly. Looking over what I've read the last year even my shorter reads were heavy for the most part. Walden and Notes From Underground for example. I'm not saying that those that read a lot are reading that type of book necessarily but quite a few are. And there's nothing wrong with that. Just remember that numbers alone are not the whole story.

Since May 18th I've read 38. I would guess I've probably read maybe 50 this whole year. the first five months were light reading. I'll likely read at least three more before year end as I quit my job on Tuesday (EEEEP)

Maybe 25-30 a year. Arf, not great and that's reading every day on lunch break and every night. Haven't had any times when I didn't want to read, either. Hard to believe that a reading rut strikes some from time to time.

Probably averages out at a book a week, two a week when I'm commuting.*

The only important thing is that you enjoy what you read isn't it. I'm lucky that around 3 out of 4 books seem to hit the spot.

Kenny "Has the feeling he's being watched" Shovel

*Hey Gem & Vicki - There's some personal info for your psychological profile of me. I also like brown rice and lisening to the voices in my head.

Probably averages out at a book a week, two a week when I'm commuting.*

The only important thing is that you enjoy what you read isn't it. I'm lucky that around 3 out of 4 books seem to hit the spot.

Kenny "Has the feeling he's being watched" Shovel

*Hey Gem & Vicki - There's some personal info for your psychological profile of me. I also like brown rice and lisening to the voices in my head.

Brown rice is good, but what do those voices say? Inquiring minds DO want to know;)

I decided it was time to do some counting as it doesn't look like I'll get my current book finished before the end of the year anyway. ;)

I read a total of:

29 volumes of manga
53 books (not including the one I'm on right now and the one I was reading at the end of last December into the start of January this year)
and 1 non-manga graphic novel.

That means I average out at about 1 book per week, not bad. :)

Now the real question is how many books I've bought this year. :p

I did 65 this year which I am pretty happy with but I also did a lot of light reading during the summer. You know, the kind of books you can finish in two days. But they're wonderful after finishing a 950 page monster.

Well, I'm not starting another fiction book until January, so I can say this year I've read 51 fiction books, and probably another 20 non-fiction ones.

I'm jealous of you people who get books as presents. My mom has no idea what to get me so i have to put out a list of books i want, meaning I don't get any books that i didn't ask for as 'recommendations'. I end up with clothes and gift cards.

Back