• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How's the weather where you live?

mehastings said:
Yes, I'm good with one nice snow a year. Since we had that on Thanksgiving, I'm ready for spring. Speaking of wind, I read an interesting article a few days ago calling Kansas the "Saudi Arabia of wind". It was basically talking about how we should use more clean natural resources, like wind power. Kansas seems to be at the forefront of the discussion. Is this something huge in Kansas right now? Or was it just some politico spouting off?

We've kicked around the idea of getting a wind machine for years. The upfront cost is high. One thing that holds up back is the idle wind machine just north of us. The fella that bought it has lost his insurance on it after having it replaced three times. Lightning was the culprit at least twice, and I believe vandals got it the last time. I'd have to check with my dh to be certain on that score. Do a google search for Kansas Windpower. We used to get a catalog from them and they had all sorts of stuff for alternative energy resources. We DO have lots of high wind days. Our roof gave us problems for the first several years after we built the house. After checking with the manufactures of the roof tiles and a call to the weather bureau, we discovered that we had no warrantee for the tile in Kansas. The highest wind the warrentee covered was 30 mp. The guy from the weather stationed just laughed when he heard that. We regularly clock 50-65 mph gusts! When it's 100+ degrees F, it's a searing, HOT wind, and when it's below 32, it's bone chilling cold. But, I can't breathe when the wind dies down:rolleyes:

It's supposed to reach 19 degrees today, which is great because it's not too hot nor too cold, which is exactly the kind of temperature I like when I'm sitting exams. Last one today, and then I'm on holiday :D

MonkeyCatcher said:
It's supposed to reach 19 degrees today, which is great because it's not too hot nor too cold, which is exactly the kind of temperature I like when I'm sitting exams. Last one today, and then I'm on holiday :D

And then you can get some serious reading in?

(Not like this pathetic only-one-book-per-day stuff?) :D

abecedarian said:
We've kicked around the idea of getting a wind machine for years. The upfront cost is high. One thing that holds up back is the idle wind machine just north of us. The fella that bought it has lost his insurance on it after having it replaced three times. Lightning was the culprit at least twice, and I believe vandals got it the last time. I'd have to check with my dh to be certain on that score. Do a google search for Kansas Windpower. We used to get a catalog from them and they had all sorts of stuff for alternative energy resources. We DO have lots of high wind days. Our roof gave us problems for the first several years after we built the house. After checking with the manufactures of the roof tiles and a call to the weather bureau, we discovered that we had no warrantee for the tile in Kansas. The highest wind the warrentee covered was 30 mp. The guy from the weather stationed just laughed when he heard that. We regularly clock 50-65 mph gusts! When it's 100+ degrees F, it's a searing, HOT wind, and when it's below 32, it's bone chilling cold. But, I can't breathe when the wind dies down:rolleyes:
Wind power in Kansas sounds interesting. BTW, on a similar note, how is Wolf Creek doing.

StillILearn said:
And then you can get some serious reading in?

(Not like this pathetic only-one-book-per-day stuff?) :D
Lol :D I am hoping to get more reading in because the length of my TBR list is just rediculous.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Lol :D I am hoping to get more reading in because the length of my TBR list is just rediculous.

That's the beauty of days where you are snowed in-you can knock it a book each day like I did the last two.:D *yes!!*

Now, here is a nice weather... an autumn weather although it must have been snowing for this period of time... well... I cannot seem to mind the fine weather as it helps me walk a lot with my gf or friends in the park.

Here, the wind chill cut the temperature in half today... it was officially in the 30s but it felt like it was 15 outside (Fahrenheit). In other words, FRICKIN FREEZING!:(

It has rained all day and is now raining cats and dogs. I have to get off the computer as it is thundering and lightning. :(

muggle said:
It has rained all day and is now raining cats and dogs. I have to get off the computer as it is thundering and lightning. :(
We were under a tornado watch this evening.
How dumb can a person get. I walked up our driveway, over 100 feet long, with an umbrella to get our trash can. When I got to the top of the driveway I realized that holding an umbrella up wasn't the smartest thing to do during a thunder and lightning storm. :eek:

muggle said:
We were under a tornado watch this evening.
How dumb can a person get. I walked up our driveway, over 100 feet long, with an umbrella to get our trash can. When I got to the top of the driveway I realized that holding an umbrella up wasn't the smartest thing to do during a thunder and lightning storm. :eek:

:D Umm, so much for the theory of evolution, eh?
Sounds about like us standing out in the yard gawking at a monster wall cloud with rotation, hanging over us while we took pictures:rolleyes: Cwazy!!

Dull and dreary here-just gets cold at night. Throw on top of that my head cold and life is just perfect.:rolleyes:

We are under a major winter storm warning. We could get between 6 and 10 inches Monday and Monday night. Darn, my driveway is between 100 and 130 feet long. I will need to start shoveling snow early as I need to be able to get out Wednesday morning for my surgery at the hospital.

Back