• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I really enjoyed this book, although I already knew what was going to happen most of the time because I had seen the movie a few years back. The different language takes a little bit of getting used to, but it really gets a lot easier to read over time. This book manages to highlight some moral issues in a very entertaining way - I especially liked the candid way in which Alex talked. Very enjoyable.

Wounded Thorns: Firstly, welcome to the forums! :)

You have made lots of interesting posts here already.

I have deleted your mulitple posts here and consolidated them into into a single post ( your first ). In future to keep things tidy would you please be sure to just post all your ideas in the one post? If not, it just becomes confusing for people to read.

If you want to reply to what sombody has said then hit the "QUOTE" button. Everything between the quote tags will be in bold like this
here is quote
If you don't quote what the previous person has said nobody will know what you are talking about :)

Rigana said:
You're new to forums, WoundedThorns? You know, it's kinda hard to find out to which post you were referring to. :rolleyes:
Why not try out the quote function?

Edit: Ah, some mod's been fixing the numerous posts! Thanks a lot, it was a bit distracting.

Just call me Speedy bunny ;) And you are welcome!

Crossroads of Twilight, Book 10(!) of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series.

I've come to the conclusion that reading Jordan is like being a Cub fan. Long stretches of agony punctuated by occasional bursts of joy that get you through the next long stretch of agony by teasing you with what once was and could be again.
That being said, I'm ready for 11 to come out so I can anticipate joy again.

I read "The Secret LIfe of Bees" in the Emergency room last night. Fabulous book. SInce my last post I've also finished The Lost Continent and I'm a Stranger Here Myself. Both by Bill Bryson.

Just finished 'All Our Yesterdays' by Robert B Parker. A story of corrupt cops, vengeance and betrayal down through three generations. I liked the book, but didn't like the characters. None of them. Biggest bunch of dishonest people I've ever read about. Just as well Parker is a good writer, otherwise the book would have been tagged and bagged straight away.

I just finished "The Mathematics of Nina Gluckstein" by Esther Vilar. The formula how love works, seems easy enough: One can only bind a man by not showing him his love. But what does that mean for Nina Gluckstein? How will she pay for her love?
I liked it a lot, especially the style of the author. It is told from the perspective of an Argentinian poetess, who tries to figure out why her love failed, by examining the relationship between of Nina Gluckstein and her husband, a well-known singer.

I finished reading John Lukac' Democracy and Populism - Fear and Hatred and was disappointed in it. I expected something different and a title more like 'Democracy and Populism and Eveything Else' might have been more appropriate. Lukacs provides his own broad brush (unsubstantiated) views and opinnions on the course of politics and ideology in Europe and America since 1870. To my ear it ended up sounding like typical political writing that one can find from both the left and the right, neither of which styles are my cup of tea. Take for example his assertion that "One of the differences between extremes of Right and Left is this: in most instances hatred moves the former and fear the latter.." Such asssertions as that just don't go through my BS filter, especially since in the last US election there was such a deafening hatred being expressed from the left. But that is politics, and also the topic I prefer to avoid discussing in open forums.
Peder

Prairie_Girl said:
I read "The Secret LIfe of Bees" in the Emergency room last night. Fabulous book. SInce my last post I've also finished The Lost Continent and I'm a Stranger Here Myself. Both by Bill Bryson.

Prairie Girl, hope you're okay! Can you post a new thread on The Secret Life of Bees and give more details? Thanks!

I've just finished Half Blood Prince-bit of a late starter on the HP books. Started them in August and been getting through them since-not sure what to read now though!

I just finished Geiko: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki. I really loved this book. I enjoy books where I feel as if I have had the chance to visit another culture and become familiar with it. Everything was so well described, and it was a interesting story. I felt satisfied at the end of the book with the way the story wrapped up and would reccomend this one definitely.

Scottishduffy said:
I just finished Geiko: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki. I really loved this book. I enjoy books where I feel as if I have had the chance to visit another culture and become familiar with it. Everything was so well described, and it was a interesting story. I felt satisfied at the end of the book with the way the story wrapped up and would reccomend this one definitely.

Tell us more. I've never heard of it. I'm guessing, by the name, that it's set within a Japanese culture. Is it historical or contemporary? What's it about?

I bought the book because I had enjoyed The Geisha Memiors so much. This one is set in the same area of the Gion district in Kyoto, Japan. Mineko is sent to the Okiya (Geisha house) when she is about 5 years old to train to be the heir to the Okiya. The book described her training, what is involved in becoming a Geiko (what we know as Geisha). It takes place during the 1950's to 1970's and is the authors own biography. Though it is in recent times it has a much older feel to it since this way of life is so deeply entrenched in tradition that is hundreds of years old. She goes over all over the traditions and explains them well. It also describes her career as a Geiko and some of the good and bad things that came along with it.

I'm a sucker for books set in another culture, it is almost like a mini-vacation when well written. :)

Well, I sat down today and read the fourth book in the Chronicles of Narnia "Prince Caspian". I like to have these to read, just very light and imaginative books that can be done in one or two sittings.

I just finished Reinventing the Enemy's Language, ed. Joy Harjo. Its a collection of stories, poems, and prayers by Native American women. As with any other anthology, some works are mediocre, while others are stellar standouts. I was moved by the intimate glimpses into the private lives of these women, the struggles and the joys. I would highly reccomend this book to anyone who wants an idea what life has been like for the Native people of America since 1492. Such a tragedy..

I have just finished Palindrome Hannah by Michael Bailey. A very captivating book - I could hardly stand to put it down! What I liked most about this book was the way that the various stories interlinked - it always gave me a rush when I was able to pick out people who I had already read about when they appeared in someone else's story. A very clever, well written book which I whole-heartedly recommend. Nice first novel, sirmyk :D

novella said:
Prairie Girl, hope you're okay! Can you post a new thread on The Secret Life of Bees and give more details? Thanks!

yeah Novella, I'm fine. Wifey poo has a couple chronic illnesses that land us in the ER once a month or so. It used to panic me, now it's just reading, and special conversation time with her!

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket. A very quick, humerous read. I will probably be picking up the other books in the series in a short while - I found the first one to be quite entertaining.

Under the Skin - Michel Faber
My first Michel Faber book but it won't be my last, great story, great writing, tensions builds slowly, parts of the book are quite disturbing.
Read it very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back