• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I really enjoyed it. I found myself laughing out loud at some of McMurphy's exploits at times, and the other characters also brought out laughs from time to time. Although I found the beginning a little hard to get into, I found that by the end it was very hard to put down, and I especially enjoyed the ending of the novel. I think that I might go down to the video store to rent out the movie - does anyone know if it is any good?

MonkeyCatcher said:
I just finished reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I really enjoyed it. I found myself laughing out loud at some of McMurphy's exploits at times, and the other characters also brought out laughs from time to time. Although I found the beginning a little hard to get into, I found that by the end it was very hard to put down, and I especially enjoyed the ending of the novel. I think that I might go down to the video store to rent out the movie - does anyone know if it is any good?
Make sure you have tissues handy. Funny. Sad. Nickleson (sp?) is great.

Just completed Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet. This was an early Sherlock Holmes work and it was a very enjoyable read. Literary buffs will enjoy it's well-written nature and intelligent commentary. There are three other short-stories in this volume that I have. I'm currently reading the second one and have found a new writer who has me interested in the whole mystery genre. Books are good. :)

Jose Saramago's Blindness. Pretty good. Towards the end I began to tire of the lack of punctuation and some of the tools he used. The lack of names for example, I understand the message he's trying to send but clearly giving people a way of identifying themselves could have solved some of the obstacles. I also thought that the author specifically ignored some technology knowing that it would take away an opportunity to convey some sort of message. I would recommend it but not emphatically.

I finished My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl last night. I found it a very quick, entertaining read. It was a laugh-out-loud funny book, as most by Dahl are, and very light-hearted. Recommended for a read for to-and-from work or a beach read - it really is a very light book.

MonkeyCatcher said:
And just a query to those who have read it - would this be considered a Utopian or a Distopian novel? Would it change depending on weither or not you thought their sacrifices were worth the world they created?

Concerning Brave New World , I think most people believe it to be a Dystopia or Negative Utopia, because it is a society of stability and control where everyone seems generally happy, but unknowingly, they are controlled and conditioned by the government. However, I can see how some people might see it as just an Utopia because of the overall "happiness" in the world.

I still think though, that it is one of my favorite books of all time. I actually liked it more than 1984, but then we were forced to write a report on 1984 in school, so that might have something to do with me not liking it as much as Huxley's book.

Edit: Oh yeah, the movie version of Cuckoo's Nest is really good. Some of Nicholson's best acting, and Christopher LLoyd and Danny Devito are in it as well. Its not completely from the perspective of Chief, but it still is very good.

well i just finished reading the Bell Jar this morning. i gave it a try when i was about 14 or so but didn't like it and i didn't finish it then. i loved it this time. as cliche as it sounds, "i couldn't put it down." definatly killed time in my classes.

real shame Plath died before writing another novel. while i dont think she would've been able to write a book as great as the Bell Jar, i really wish i could read some more her nonexistant novels.

I just finished reading The Painting by Nina Schuyler.
I read it for a class I'm taking and really enjoyed it.
She came to speak soon after and I got my book signed.
She is such a calm and composed spirit.
It's a good read.
Check it out.

I finished Planet Joe by Joe Cole two days ago. Quite a good book. It offers some quite interesting insights on Black Flag´s last tour (which is also covered in detail in Get in the Van: On the Road With Black Flag by Henry Rollins).
Next up was Broken Summers by Henry Rollins which was also an enjoyable read, but he has written better stuff in the past, e.g. Eye Scream or Solipsist.

I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer last night, and all I can say is wow. What an absolutely beautiful book! The little child, Oskar, is just so adorable, and the pictures and such throughout the book really heighten this unique read. I particularly liked reading the letters from the Grandpa - so much emotion was conveyed without it being overly sappy, especially the letter that had been "edited". The writing was simplistic, but understandingly so, as most of the book is narrated by a 9 year old boy, and the rest is composed of letters. A really fun, amazing book, which I couldn't recommend higher :)

I just finished reading Michael Bailey's Palindrome Hannah. I think it would be easy to consider this five shorts held together by coincidence but "If you start looking for coincidences, you'll start realizing there are no coincidences...everything has a purpose."

Finally finished 'The Crimson Petal and the White' by Michel Faber
Phew! that was a long read. story plodded along a bit but was kept interesting by Faber's excellent writing, descriptions of 1870's London and it's people were quite graphic at times.
Overall a good read, perhaps a bit long but enjoyable.
This was my second Michel Faber book, read 'Under the Skin' afew weeks ago which i thought was excellent.
Got me interested in the period so i'm going to keep up the Victorian theme by starting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Study in Scarlet' / 'Hounds of the Baskervilles'.

I've just finished reading The Portable Door by Tom Holt. A very enjoyable read. It didn't come as a recommendation; it was one of those buys where you just pick the first book that catches your eye in the book shop. I considered putting it down when Holt introduced a load of goblins about half way through the book but I'm glad I didn't. The situations they get into are very funny, which is increased by the hopelessness of the Paul, the arrogance of the thin girl and the strange goings-on at J.W. Wells & Co. One thing's for sure - you'll never come across a character quite like Mr Tanner's mum again!

I just finished The Red Badge of Courage and I liked it. I enjoyed how the prose was written and particularly liked the description of how the man got the side of his face shot off toward the end. Not sure why that appealed to me, I guess I'm odd like that.

I have just finished The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. I thought it was an absolutely amazing book, one which I really couldn't put down! Much better than The Gunslinger, IMO. I wasn't too sure if I was going to finish the Dark Tower series after reading The Gunslinger, but after reading this book I am sure that I most definately will. I was immediately drawn to the character of Eddie, and really look forward to reading more about him. For some reason I was just really drawn into his story, and was riveted throughout that entire section of the book. Great stuff.

i finished reading High Fidelity yesterday. i watched the movie twice before reading the book, but i actually still liked the book. it probably would've been better if i didn't know what would happen ahead of time

MonkeyCatcher said:
I have just finished The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. I thought it was an absolutely amazing book, one which I really couldn't put down! Much better than The Gunslinger, IMO. I wasn't too sure if I was going to finish the Dark Tower series after reading The Gunslinger, but after reading this book I am sure that I most definately will. I was immediately drawn to the character of Eddie, and really look forward to reading more about him. For some reason I was just really drawn into his story, and was riveted throughout that entire section of the book. Great stuff.

right now i'm reading Carrie by Stephen King. i bought a copy of The Green Mile yesterday in walmart, but i probably won't read it until i read my other library books. i never get around to reading the books i buy

Read a book by Carol Berkin entitled Revolutionary Mothers: women in the struggle for America's independence. Found the book to be enlightening as to the thoughts, feelings, activities, etc. of the women during this struggle.
Also finished Broken April by Ismail Kadare and have posted about it on a thread about this author.

Nancy

Pauline Réage's "Story of O"

Story of O
<sigh> I didn't enjoy the first half, but the 2nd was pretty intense and quite hot.
What a strange ending though. Up until the last page I would've been content with it ending with O, Sir Stephen, and "The Commander" in the court yard... but the last bit.. so abrupt and vague. It reminded me Anais Nin's endings in Delta of Venus. :confused:
Well, it took me almost two months to finish it. :( I kept leaving it and reading other things. It was very easy to pick up again though. Not much back tracking. I do recommend this novel though. I'm glad I read it.

Finished reading The Take By Martina Cole last night!
Set as usual in the criminal underworld!
Very gripping and i couldnt put it down!

I just finished "Middlemarch" by George Eliot, and found it nice and of great interest to see her (George was a pseudonym) point of view in the society of 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back