• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything is illuminated
didnt found as funny as i thought (maybe i should have got the english version), but its pretty good, while reading the end i feel like crying, and that doesnt happen very often, i can only remember feeling like that with only one book before, the journeyrer.

I just finished reading "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. I thought this book would be boring, but it wasn't at all.
I liked it, it was a very interesting read.

I just finished The Long Walk, by Stephen King. The ending was little hard to understand but I went to the SK website and it was explained. Very good book.

I read Of Mice and Men! I thought it would be boring as well, but I enjoyed it even though it was very sad.

I really liked Brave New World. Read 1984 just before, and it was good, too.
I just finished Changes by CD Moulton. I read it on the plane back from Paris. I don't usually like fantasy, but this wasn't the elfs and swords and sorcery bit. It was like a biography, sort of. Kene is just like my Uncle Freddie. Sort of grouchy, but very smart.

I just finished Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. It's about the madwoman in the attic in Jane Eyre, and it gives a perspective that I found interesting. I'd recommend it to any of you who enjoyed Jane Eyre.

Just finished Asimov's Caliban by Roger MacBride Allen. It turned out to be pretty good once it got going. At one point, I was nearly ready to give up on the entire Foundation/Empire/Robots/Caliban series, but now I actually want to read the next book. Caliban is a robot built without the three laws of robotics. It's pretty interesting.

just finished 1984 & animal farm - orwell

ballad of the sad cafe - carson mccullers

all 3 were upsetting but 1984 takes the cake for most disturbing

i hope the book i'm on now has a happy ending

I have this stupid habit, that if I start on a book, I HAVE to finish it. :eek:

I haven't finished reading "The Electric Michelangelo", quite frankly I haven't come further than a few pages, and it's allready killing me.

So, I'll get back to it, just need a long break from it, a very looooong one, but I will read it, it's just that I want to read something else first.

(I just needed to get this off my chest).

dan_k_buds said:
just finished 1984 & animal farm - orwell

ballad of the sad cafe - carson mccullers

all 3 were upsetting but 1984 takes the cake for most disturbing

i hope the book i'm on now has a happy ending
Try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It's pretty much the same as 1984 but kind of better. The end in 1984 was too twisted for me. :D

I don't know. The ending of Brave New World was pretty twisted! Although, yeah, probably not as twisted as the 1984 :)

I finished reading 'Zen And the Art...' last week...after getting through the rather dull middle of the book, I really enjoyed the conclusion to it...

possessing the secret of joy - alice walker

very moving story - i felt more could have been discussed on this topic but isn't that how you feel about every book you read (?'s you want ans.) i will just have to find another book on this horrific subject if i can stomach it

i will read more of her books

Just finished Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis. Good writing, as usual, though I prefer her longer works.

I've recently finished 'A Portrait Of Mrs Charbuque' by Jeffrey Ford - one of the best books I've read for a long, long time, exciting, clever and beautifully written.

For those who haven't read it it's about a painter who's given a commission to paint the portrait of said Mrs Charbuque but without being able to see her - just from the impressions he gets about her from questions he asks, however there are a few clever twists in the tale.

Mark

just finished "the hollow" by agatha christie, and now its my Christie's favorite along with murder on..., you can actually see her style change during the years.
great book for murder mistery lovers.

I just finished The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and it was kind of nice.
The story didn't fascinate me in particular but it was a good read anyway. :D

Just finished The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence. Loved it. The protaganist is difficult to like, but I developed a grudging understanding of her stubborness.

. . . and Laurence's writing is devine:

"Above Manawaka, and only a short way from the peonies drooping sullenly over the graves, was the town dump. Here were crates and cartons, tea chests with torn tin stripping, the unrecognizable effluvia of our lives, burned and blackened by the fire that seasonally cauterized the festering place. Here were the wrecks of cutters and buggies, the rusty springs and gashed seats, the skeletons of conveyances purchased in fine fettle by the town fathers and grown as racked and ruined as the old gents, but not afforded a decent concealment in earth. Here were the leavings from tables, gnawed bones, rot-softened rinds of pumpkin and marrow, peelings and cores, pits of plum, broken jars of preserves that had fermented and been chucked reluctantly away rather than risk ptomaine. It was a sulphurous place, where even the weeds appeared to grow more gross and noxious than elsewhere, as though they could not help but show the stain and stench of the improper nourishment."

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
I was really dissapointed because I expected something like Hohlbein's Märchenmond-Series. The book was so simply and the plot was really fast and it was missing a lot of descriptions and explorations of thoughts and characters. Nevertheless I'll read the rest of the series just to know what's going on.
Did anybody around here enjoys reading Hohlbein?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back