• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I've had it

Libre

I don't know what the story is here - but I hate being ignored. It's not that I crave attention - like a child - but I feel like a kid in an adult's discussion group, for all the notice my comments and posts get. Anytime I post anything, when I come back and look at the thread, it just continued on as though I don't exist - and that's even though (in my view) my posts are thought provoking, well written, and well thought out. Then I see a 25 page thread with the title "What are your thoughts about nose-picking" or some tripe like that.

There is some sort of a clique here, and ok, so I'm not in it and don't care to be. Don't you all get tired of talking to each other though?

I'm turning in my user ID and taking this site off my favorites. I don't say I'll never come back, but I've kind of had it up to here, here.

Whoever wants it can have my post count - low as it is and for whatever it's worth.

Bye bye.

I've just been reading some of your posts Libre and would say the loss would definitely be TBF's if you leave. :(

Poppy1 said:
I've just been reading some of your posts Libre and would say the loss would definitely be TBF's if you leave.

I agree.
Don't leave us! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Is that enough sad smilies to make you stay?

Taking TBF off your favourites?? That is a serious step to take my friend, think it through :D

Seriously though, I've been away, but I remember you as being a regular and it would be a shame for you to go. Why not try an experiment, start a new thread. I think by the reply's you get, you'll realise that everyone does appreciate you.

Oh hang on is it April 1st - are you just messing? where's a calendar when you need one.

I hate to see you leave angry libre, but take a look at a few threads I've started. Some got less attention than others. It happens sometimes. I don't think anyone has intentionally shunned you. I hope you reconsider your decision.

Libre said:
when I come back and look at the thread, it just continued on as though I don't exist
:confused: Maybe your "Is Time Real?" thread was too much like a kick in the head for some folks and scared them away. ;)

I enjoy your music and thank you for sharing it with us.

P.S. I don't need your post count. I can wait out three or more years to reach 1000 posts. :D

Libre, can be difficult to get discussion around here (unless you're discussing Dan Brown ;) ). Just stick with it.

If you're going to go then just go. There's no need for flimsy ego posturing; it just singles you out as an attention seeker.

There most certainly is a clique; but you get over that and just stick to your guns without trying to verbally grease yourself up to fit in. Not everyone will have the same tastes - or enough brains - to respond to you, but you just get on with whatever it is you do. In your case, throw your toys out the pram, or something.

Stewart said:
There most certainly is a clique
And you're the ring leader of it?

To the OP: I've read your posts and don't see any evidence of you being ignored. But well done, you managed to scare a newbie off ;)

Stewart said:
If you're going to go then just go. There's no need for flimsy ego posturing; it just singles you out as an attention seeker.

There most certainly is a clique; but you get over that and just stick to your guns without trying to verbally grease yourself up to fit in. Not everyone will have the same tastes - or enough brains - to respond to you, but you just get on with whatever it is you do. In your case, throw your toys out the pram, or something.

Or spit your dummy out :rolleyes:

Libre, please reconsider but you should do what you want. Usually I found your posts interesting and found myself agreeing with them in many instances. I hate to see you go. You contributed positively in making TBF a good forum.

I'm sorry you feel that way Libre. I do like general chat and getting to know other folks, though I draw the line at nose-picking.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: A good part of your frustration might be along the lines of taste. I was interested in Nabokov, and it just so happens, there were more than a few who held a similar interest. I'm currently enjoying Dostoyevsky, but other than what other person, it doesn't excite other people. The few Dostoyevsky threads that are here aren't taking off like the Nabokov threads because of that reason. Could it be that your tastes are not widely shared at the moment? I don't believe there is a concerted effort to ignore anyone, though everyone has the choice to put someone on ignore if they so desire. Please reconsider, I think you are taking offense a little too harshly in this regard.

Libre,
I'm sorry to hear your reaction.
It is true that all forums are different and have different personalities, and that there may be a forum out there that is more suited to your style and interests. Dunno. I would venture to say, though, that even it too will seem to have a clique.
It is also quite true that nothing speaks louder to a person in a forum than not getting a response to their post(s). It's very disappointing, but not meant personally. Not all topics resonate.
But I think I also know that you will go a long way before finding a forum as friendly and well-meaning as this one. That is why I have settled here.
So my advice is to not be too hasty, but to take a look at what you might find out there, and to keep a foot in each of a number of forums for a while. They will gradually dwindle down to the forum for you. If you find more than one such forum I would say that you were very lucky.
So, hang loose for a while,
And keep posting,
Or at least lurking,
Peder

With some trepidation, I took a peek this morning.
I did it from my work computer, which does not log me on automatically. That way, if I saw - GOODBYE AND DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON THE WAY OUT - or worse - NOTHING - then I could just go away. I've seen the threads where people say GOODBYE FOREVER and then someone else posts THEN WHY ARE YOU LOGGING ON EVERY 5 MINUTES? and I did not want that.

Look, Stewart, I agree with what you wrote. I'm not like this normally. People that stand on a ledge of a building, sobbing, threatening to jump, and hoping someone is going to beg them to stop ... annoy me. So jump if you want to jump is my reaction - I have better things to do than to nurse your feelings.
So, you're right.

In this case, though, I did not want to just split, in case I WAS being rash, in case people really DID care one way or another, I wanted to find out.

And I did. Thank you thank you thank you.
You're all friends. I won't pout ANY LONGER.

I'm back (because of your reactions).

I've started a new thread as suggested. Don't feel pressured to respond to it, please.

Thanks again
Marc

Aw, give us another chance.

Libre said:
I don't know what the story is here - but I hate being ignored.
Bye bye.

Had I known how you feel, I would have made an effort to follow your posts and give you some response.

I say "aw, give us another chance", which reminds me of a joke I heard from a 65 year old heart transplant patient (perhaps a Richird Pryor joke):

A man spends a year in cocaine rehab and, the day he gets out, he goes to a party. The first thing he is offered is a line to snort. He shouts: 'Cocaine ruined my job, my marriage, my health, my finances!' The crowd said 'Aw, give it another chance.'

Just take a look at my own posts, and how many of them never receive a reply. But, stop and thing, there are guests who come via search engines, and chance upon your words. They may never register, or they may register and never post in your thread. But your words may affect them in some way.
It's like casting a bottle in the ocean. Who knows where your words may wind up? It's like hope and faith. Hope and faith, like cocaine, can let us down often, but, aw, give them another chance.

By the way, that heart transplant patient, who told me the joke, was fabulously wealthy most of his life. It was that wealth which permitted his unhealthy lifestyle of substance abuse. Now he lives as clean as a whistle.

Woody Allen (or someone like him) said, "Death is nature's way of getting our attention."

Like Ennis Del Mar said, "If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it."

Libre: I feel the same as you most of the time. When that happens and I feel unappreciated and unloved and ignored I just back away for a while. I do other things, visit other sites, and then come back. In most of the boards I visit, I rarely get any attention or acknowledgement, and when I do I feel like a kid who got picked to star in the school play. I think that's life-some of us are just cogs in a wheel, as a friend of mine once said. If a cog goes missing, the wheel stops working, until another cog is found.

I'll never be in the "in" clique, it's not in my nature to belong to cliques. I'm me, if people don't respond to me or ignore me, that's their loss. Life is too short to obsess about what other people think of you, particularly on any forum. :)

Gawd, I sound like a Pollyanna, don't I? :eek:

Let me tell you something. I'm the admin of my own book forum and I know for a fact that book related subjects (unless very general in nature) rarely get people to start a discussion.

This is not because people don't appreciate the review, but just that there are too many tastes out there and so many people might not have read the same book and would not be in a position to discuss it. (unless it's popular literature).

I always post reviews on my own board (I'm planning to start posting them here as well), but I wouldn't expect much response to those kind of things.

General discussion always brings people because there are more common areas to explore. Book discussions are like rocket science discussions. You need too many experts and in a very widely spread out field. Difficult in a forum like this (or any other), unless the membership runs into the 100,000s.

SFG75 said:
I'm sorry you feel that way Libre. I do like general chat and getting to know other folks, though I draw the line at nose-picking.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: A good part of your frustration might be along the lines of taste. I was interested in Nabokov, and it just so happens, there were more than a few who held a similar interest. I'm currently enjoying Dostoyevsky, but other than what other person, it doesn't excite other people. The few Dostoyevsky threads that are here aren't taking off like the Nabokov threads because of that reason. Could it be that your tastes are not widely shared at the moment? I don't believe there is a concerted effort to ignore anyone, though everyone has the choice to put someone on ignore if they so desire. Please reconsider, I think you are taking offense a little too harshly in this regard.

One bit of wisdom that changed my life: "You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose (unless you are on Brokeback Mountain)."

Back