• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

June 2008 - Book Group Suggestions

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Excellent! How about sometime next month? A Farewell to Arms is relatively short and we can start Uncle Toms Cabin sometime after everybody is done. [/FONT]

I have another suggestion to add, because I am wayyy behind on The First Circle how about when we are reading a big book we discuss by chapter?at least try to keep close to the same part.

I have another suggestion to add, because I am wayyy behind on The First Circle how about when we are reading a big book we discuss by chapter?at least try to keep close to the same part.

That's a very good idea, Libra. It might generate more discussion.

That's a very good idea, Libra. It might generate more discussion.

yea thanks, they come to me when I am sleeping.:)

with the The First Circle I am jotting down notes every chapter, now I am just trying to finish it. I am still on chapter 26, and I feel most posts have covered everything and I don't have much to add.

yea thanks, they come to me when I am sleeping.:)

with the The First Circle I am jotting down notes every chapter, now I am just trying to finish it. I am still on chapter 26, and I feel most posts have covered everything and I don't have much to add.

I'm sure you'll find something to discuss. There are a lot of things going on at different levels.

There seems to be a ground swell for Uncle Tom's Cabin.
From what I see over at Borders, where three different imprints of Uncle Tom's Cabin are on the shelf, it might be a different kind of book than we imagine -- at least different than the little I imagined. Three things in particular stand out to me, based on my looking at the three different Intros and at Wikipedia. It is told from the point of the view of the slave characters with Stowe's uncompromising views often directly interpolated as well, which leads to rather uncomplimentary characterizations of whites; it seems to be the source for many of the derogatory and racist characterizations of blacks (and whites) that still exist today; and it is heavily Christian in message. I assume we all already knew that it was an ardent one-sided work of Abolitionist literature prior to the Civil War. For lit-critters, however, it has a style all its own (as described in one of the Introductions) and was the best selling American novel of the nineteenth century. How it reads is not something I can say, but it would seem to offer quite a bit to grapple with in a discussion.

There seems to be a ground swell for Uncle Tom's Cabin.
From what I see over at Borders, where three different imprints of Uncle Tom's Cabin are on the shelf, it might be a different kind of book than we imagine -- at least different than the little I imagined.

One thing that affected popular concepts of the book was the traveling road show of Uncle Tom's Cabin which was not authorized by Stowe and which emphasized the most dramatic parts of the book. Stowe's own experience of the South and slavery was very limited - as her critics did not hesitate to point out - and she wrote out of strong Christian-Abolitionist convictions. She also did not hesitate to make use of coincidences and cardboard characters.

One thing that affected popular concepts of the book was the traveling road show of Uncle Tom's Cabin which was not authorized by Stowe and which emphasized the most dramatic parts of the book.
Yes, very much so, from what I read, as well as the scenes added by the so-called "Tom shows." The famous scene, for example, of Eliza excaping across the ice floes, chased by wolves (in Ohio!), is apparently not in the book.

To be perfectly honest,from what Peder say's and it might be an apriori but i'm less than luckwarm for Uncle Tom.If it is to choose a female writer,i find Virginia Wolf far more interesting and the ideas her books(orlando:D?) would generate less of the heavy duty section.

Someone who has actually read the book would be the best person to offer an opinion on how it reads for the modern mind. But it has never been out of print and has been translated in to 37 languages, so one certainly has to call it popular.

What I've read of Uncle Tom's Cabin in the past, plus the links Peder's provided, plus the synopsis I read on Amazon all convince me I would not be interested.

I see some are against the idea of reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and I understand that. I do have a suggestion however.

There are some books that might fall along the same themes of Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin," interesting to read if not simply because they are not as well known in modern circles. Tourgée wrote "A Fool's Errand, by One of the Fools" and "Bricks Without Straw" in the late 19th century and might be available as free publications from Project Gutenberg or some other source.

I find the phonetic method of writing to be very difficult to read. But if you can get past that the books give good insight into the period. Example: "Dat's what folks used ter say 'bout him, ennyhow."

If it is the subject matter of Stowe's book that turns you off, then these would not be an alternative for you.

-Maus

How about Doctor Glas for october since june, july, august and september is allready official?:)

Sound good but would it be easy to get?

Stephen King is not a bad idea,why not get a genre fiction for after and a female writer all in one.Like Rice or Highsmith for the lighter note.Stranger on the train is very good.

Yes, Stranger on a Train is definitely a very cleanly written tense story. Impressive.

added in edit: Or a Ripley.

Back