• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

June 2008 - Book Group Suggestions

How about Emily Bronte -Wuthering Heights or

Harriet Beecher Stowe-Uncle Toms Cabin (yes, I have both):D

Women writers, yes! How about Elizabeth Gaskell, Cranford (the current TV series doesn't do it justice) or North and South?

I liked the sound of Cranford from Amazon's synopsis.
Yasushi Inoue-the hunting Rifle
A Japanese writer.The two of his books i read were historical fiction(on about Gengis Khan),One was made a film by Kurosawa.
The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan by Yasushi Inoue sounds interesting as well.
Which one was the Genghis Kahn?

How about Emily Bronte -Wuthering Heights or

Harriet Beecher Stowe-Uncle Toms Cabin (yes, I have both):D

These are already on my TBR shelf so I'd back them and I agree with Silverseason that it would be nice to have some female authors in the mix :)

Also interesting choices by women would be:

Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda This is a far more gritty and realistic portrait of the geisha life that was most moving.

A Woman in Berlin by Anonymous An account of eight weeks after Berlin was taken by the Allies, taking place in the Soviet Sector. Realistic, fascinating.

Imperial Woman or The Good Earth by Pearl Buck Classics in their own right.

Plus three of them would leave European environs behind.

Also interesting choices by women would be:

Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda This is a far more gritty and realistic portrait of the geisha life that was most moving.

A Woman in Berlin by Anonymous An account of eight weeks after Berlin was taken by the Allies, taking place in the Soviet Sector. Realistic, fascinating.

Imperial Woman or The Good Earth by Pearl Buck Classics in their own right.

Plus three of them would leave European environs behind.

Oh, those all sound good, too. I did read the Good Earth and I really enjoyed it, so many books so little time :rolleyes:

Oh, those all sound good, too. I did read the Good Earth and I really enjoyed it, so many books so little time :rolleyes:

I think what I like about them the most is the women are strong and are survivors in horrible circumstances.

Peder mentioned Fitzgerald back up the thread too, and silverseason mentioned Tender is the Night, that'd be a good one too.

Some of you must be super book-heads. I haven’t heard of many of these titles being suggested, and I’m a little intimidated of making any suggestions, but here it goes.

Dickens-Hard Times, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities
Hemingway-A Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, Islands in the Stream,
Lee-To Kill a Mockingbird
Dumas-The Count of Monte Cristo
Can't go wrong with the classics:D

I have more that I’d like to suggest, but any of these would be good for me, because I happen to own all of them.

I wouldn’t mind reading The Kite Runner or Wuthering Heights either.

That sounds very interesting.

I also have an unread copy of Uncle Toms Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe on the shelf. Ready to go when you are.

Robert, if it doesn't get picked for BOTM we will make our own thread and talk about it!

I'm always happy to have a chance to talk about Harriet Beecher Stowe, in this thread or elsewhere.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Excellent! How about sometime next month? A Farewell to Arms is relatively short and we can start Uncle Toms Cabin sometime after everybody is done. [/FONT]

Back