• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Juno

SFG75

Not a movie that I would expect to like, but it was quite intriguing. I have to say that I thought it was pretty good. Not that 16 year olds walk around with that sense of being so smart, but hey, most movies require you to suspend reality in some way.

I think some 16 year olds can be as smart as her. I mean, there's always exceptions.

I liked the movie, it was funny and original.

"it has fingernails"

This movie was pretty interesting.

The one part of the movie I did not like was the whole adopting husband becoming all weird and mean.

Allison Janney and Ellen Page were great. I also enjoyed Jennifer Garner's character more than I expected to; she wasn't as shrill and anal-retentive as she could have bene (or would have been in a worse film). With that said, the dialogue was atrocious. I like clever and hip dialogue but not when it doesn't sound convincing. 80% of what the characters said just rang false to me.

I dunno . . . it wasn't an awful movie but hardly deserving of all those Oscar nominations. I wonder how Jason Reitman was able score a Best Director nod while Tim Burton (Sweeney Todd), Shekhar Kapur (Elizabeth: The Golden Age), and Joe Wright (Atonement) weren't recognized for their direction.

C+

I liked the acting but good god(s) the script was awful. The writer tried too hard to make her characters sound clever and unique . . . didn't work. The soundtrack sucks too. So if you ABSOLUTELY have to see it, then just use Netflix or go to Blockbuster instead of rushing out and buying the DVD.

i like Ellen Page probably because HARD CANDY was so badasssss. Moments of juno made me laughthough. But i found it rather stupid and annoying overall. Making people say "tore up from the floor up" isnt funny and that was the whole 90s....

i say if you decided to get juno do yourself a favor and grab hard candy instead :D

YouTube - Hard Candy

Mixed feelings on this one.
I found the story too "layed back" with what they were dealing with.

2/5

Poorly. Generally a pseudo-Wes Anderson approach to filming, a very boring, contrived script (which nevertheless managed to pull home an Oscar [how??]) and overrated acting.

"Hard Candy" is a very talky film, if you're into that sort of thing. The whole film was non-stop yak-yak-yak. Having said that, I liked it a lot because of Ellen Page. She was also in X-Men: The Last Stand, but she was practically unnoticeable.

I haven't seen "Juno" yet. I have the DVD at home, sitting on top of my DVD player. I just have to make the time to watch it.

Well, I saw "Juno" last night. My wife and I didn't like it much. In fact, my wife hated it and I sort of tolerated it because of Ellen Page. It was pretty much predictable. I did, however, like the last scene where Bleeker and Juno are playing the guitar and singing together. There was a certain charm, especially because the lyrics were kinda goofy.

I enjoyed Juno. I went into it expecting a quirky comedy about teen pregnancy and wasn't disappointed. If you're expecting the "best movie of the year" you might be letdown as that is too much pressure to live up to.

On a couple of occasions the hipster slang got to me - too much all at once - but real-life highschoolers have their own lingo, and often people not of that age are annoyed by it.

As for a lost weekend's comments, aside from the colourful costumes and interiors, and the use of a Kink's song on the soundtrack, I don't see any Wes Anderson. There are no surrealist or farcical elements in Juno.

Hype wise, Juno reminds me a lot of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - a movie that got a lot of buzz, tons of people went to see it, some thought it was hilarious while others thought it was too "ethnic". Juno is a comedy about teen pregnancy, so if you can't see humour in the situation and think the subject should be dealt with seriously, then you'll probably be disappointed.

I liked it, a snarky little film that had me chuckling at times. It was o.k. for a rental, not much more.

"Hard Candy" is a very talky film, if you're into that sort of thing. The whole film was non-stop yak-yak-yak..

I feel the same way BUT. wouldnt you agree that alot of the dialogue and acting in the movie is powerful enough and with the whole subject matter that its very capitavting.. atleast i thought so.
AND even with a serious topic i found the movie quite light hearted with actor commentary on hehehe loved it.

Back