• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Me three :) .
I did enjoy Pirates 1 better, but 2 wasn't so bad as a mindless, don't think too much, entertainer. Johnny Depp was yummy, Keira Knightly a bit useless really, and Orlando Bloom a complete dullard. The locales were breath takingly stunning though, I want to jump on the next plane to the Bahamas :(

I finally saw March of the Penguins. I had no idea how amazing penguins are and the fact that Morgan Freeman narrates it...well...that just makes it all the better!

the grudge ..
also pride and prejuides .. it's cool .. specially to ppl who aren't used to watch indian movies.. it'll give a sneek peek at what goes in a 100% indian movie =D

an egyption movie, it's name is "Kallem mama" [talk to mom].. pretty funny

I rented "Primer" the other day. Anyone seen it? It's an independent film dealing with time travel. It's low budget and void of special effects, but it was clever albiet a little difficult to follow.

...the german program -> its boring. The same films. We are become cinema films in germany, if they are terminated with you months. For example Lost. I watch at last Emergency Room... the same case, which follow oldest...

Re-watched "Dune" for the first time in... at least a decade. Have to say it was better than I remembered. It's still not a complete success, a lot of it make little sense to someone who hasn't read the book and it's very obviously cut down from Lynch's intended three hours - some of the "this is what happened next" voice-overs are really cringe-inducing. But IMO, a failed attempt at originality is always more fun than a successful attempt at mediocrity. Plus, since when do David Lynch movies have to make perfect sense? It's fun, it's got some great actors, it's got some of the same nightmarish quality that all of Lynch's best movies have, and even if it comes across as "Lawrence of Arabia in Space" at times I'm glad I now have it on DVD.

"Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic". OK, the following is a list of ethnic/religious groups who will NOT be offended by this almost-concert movie:

- Eskimo satanists.

Sarah Silverman is one of those god-gifted comedians who is able to stand up straight in front of an audience, smile like a toothpaste commercial, and with perfect timing tell jokes so offensive you can't help but either see her as the worst bigot on the face of the planet or one of the best purveyors of satire since Bill Hicks did his "Heather's Two Mommies" bit. There aren't really many jokes in this that I could post here, but just to give you an idea:
I was raped by a doctor, which is... so bittersweet for a Jewish girl.
I don't want to be labeled as straight or as gay, I just want people to see ME. As white.
Now, most of the time, as a stand-up routine it works; she tells her jokes so innocently, as if she were a 12-year-old girl standing up in front of class on show and tell, talking about what she's been taught; that Jews are cheap, blacks are violent, etc. It's a very thin line between being offensive for offense's sake and actually pointing out the ridiculousness of such beliefs, but she rarely falls off it. Trouble is, the stand-up material is mixed up with blatantly unfunny song numbers and skits that do nothing but break up the flow of the stand-up performance. If you liked "The Aristocrats" (where Silverman was one of the funniest performers) you'll probably love this, but much like that movie, "Jeus Is Magic" doesn't quite hold up the whole way. 3/5.

The Lady in the Water

Just got back from the theater.
I can't give it more than a 5 out of 10. Paul Paul Giamatti was ok (despite his character suffering from a needless and annoying stutter) but the story on the whole was uninvolving, the monster not very scary, and the other characters unrealistically gullible.
Drat. Very disappointing.

Last night watched Fight Club.
I'm still reeling from the experience.
WOW!
What balls. What originality. I'm totally stunned.

This has to be one of the most memorable films I've ever seen. I know it's been said before - which is why I went out and rented it - and I was NOT disappointed, even expecting a shattering experience.

Eclipsing everything else in this extraordinary move - above the incredible direction, cinematography, script, and performances of all the OTHER actors, is the monumental performance of Brad Pitt. I had no idea he was that ... fantastic. How many actors do you imagine have the charisma to pull off that role? To believably persuade otherwise rational people to lose their senses and follow him.

Watching his mesmerising presence, I lost my senses as well. I would have followed him too.

And I hate to fight.

In the theaters, Cars (with the kids) and PotC 2 (didn't get to see it with my dh, as he graciously stayed home so I could see it at the 12:01 a.m. showing - love those middle-of-the-night openings!)

at home:

HP 1 (with the kids)

Casanova (with husband)

Libre said:
Last night watched Fight Club.
I'm still reeling from the experience.
WOW!
What balls. What originality. I'm totally stunned.
lol, I remember feeling like that when I first saw it. Very powerful! Made me not want to read the book, though.

I watched Everything is Illuminated last night - I loved it! I own the book, but have yet to read it - now I am really looking forward to it. Has anyone else seen this movie, and if so, what did you think?

Casanova (with husband)

What did you think? I thought it was funny and dare I say it, cute.

Last movie I saw: Clerks II. I think I liked the first one better, but this one had some great moments. Better than I expected, although I'm not exactly wishing for a third installment.

The Squid And The Whale. Liked it, nearly loved it. It's funny; all this time I've thought the one problem with Wes Anderson's movies is that his plots are so damn thin, and then his script writer makes a movie that's a hell of a lot better than, say, "The Royal Tenenbaums"...

Beautifully acted and filmed (and GREAT soundtrack!) and probably at least a little bit autobiographical portrait of a family falling apart. Jeff Daniels is brilliant as the father, wouldn't be at all surprised if there's an Oscar nomination for him - it takes something to play a character that's at turns despicable and just pitiful without resorting to him beating his kids or crying in his car or any other tired clichés.

Might have used a little more plot, though; it's the kind of movie where you may end up thinking "If I just wanted to see an ordinary marriage split up I'd spy on my neighbours instead". And the ending could have been much better done. But still, a really likable film. If you liked "The Ice Storm", this might be for you.

I saw A Good Woman a few days ago. It's based on Oscar Wilde's play Lady Windermere's Fan. I love Oscar Wilde..his stuff is always amusing and clever. This movie was no exception.

I recently rewatched The Village (which was great). I don't watch scary movies very often, so it scared the crap out of me :rolleyes: I also saw Howl's Moving Castle by the same director who did Spirited Away which I thought was a great movie. I was dissapointed with this one though and thought that it lacked depth and a good ending, so I'm reading the book to see if it's any better. So far, it's much better.
Mattyj- I really liked Everything Is Illuminated and read the book as well. It was a nice mix of comedy with drama. I think Elijah Wood did a great job. And the guy who played Alex was awesome as well. Very hilarious :D

Back