• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Finally got around to watching The Bourne Identity. Pretty much what I expected: an unusually well-made but still rather ordinary spy thriller. No more, no less. But Franka Potente should get more work. :star3:

Finally got around to watching The Bourne Identity. Pretty much what I expected: an unusually well-made but still rather ordinary spy thriller. No more, no less. But Franka Potente should get more work. :star3:
Supremacy and Ultimatum are much better. I didn't like the first movie but the last two are awesome films.

Eh, I don't think I'll bother with the sequels, actually. Not really my thing. I mostly watched this one to be able to vote in a "best movie" tournament I've got going with some friends. How this one made the list, I really don't know.

The Last Rites of Ransom Pride
I am still debating whether or not I actually like the movie. Good stuff and bad stuff... I'm just not sure which outweighs the other.

It's typical Hollywood action schlock. Fun to watch but overall pretty stupid.

hey Tai Mai. You've just justified my DVD pre-order of Sucker Punch. Nice one. I didn't need much, just a little nudge from some direction, but thanks for that:cool:

Lincoln Lawler was really good and really faithful to the book.

Warrior's Way is just plain awful.

I saw Sucker Punch and thought it was kinda cool.

Lincoln Lawyer was much better than I anticipated. Really a pretty well made thriller.
Agreed on the Warrior Way. It blew, but some of the visuals were pretty decent.

Suckerpunch :star2: + 1/2

Rise of The Planet Of The Apes :star4:
Saw this last night. Liked it a lot. It was a nice mindless summer movie. CG was pretty nifty with a lot of agile apes flying through foliage, climbing trees, swinging from vines and all that monkey type stuff. The story was pretty blah, but the movie was well acted for the most part, with some humor thrown in. The main chimp that the story centers around was probably the most expressive and "real" CG character I've seen since Gollum.

Submarine :star4: A quirky story of a teenage boy's first girlfriend and his parent's failing marraige with a very good soundtrack from Alex Turner.

I saw Submarine a week ago, it was a bit awkward but a good movie anyway, and the music was awesome ! :)

Sucker Punch - It was a strange movie, more like a video game trailer or music video. It's a hard one to recommend as I don't think many people would enjoy it, but worth a go for someone open to quirky weird things I guess.

Saw this last night. Liked it a lot. It was a nice mindless summer movie. CG was pretty nifty with a lot of agile apes flying through foliage, climbing trees, swinging from vines and all that monkey type stuff. The story was pretty blah, but the movie was well acted for the most part, with some humor thrown in. The main chimp that the story centers around was probably the most expressive and "real" CG character I've seen since Gollum.

We saw it last week as well, and enjoyed it. I loved the nods to the original, and to Heston. Lithgow was his usual fantastic self.

At home, we're starting the tv series Treme. Being a native New Orleanian, I've been curious about it. So far it's as accurate as something like that can be, and as I recall, the local newspaper articles at the time claimed it's accuracy.

Thanks to shitty summer weather, I've been catching up on some old movies I should have watched ages ago but never got around to for some reason:

Empire of the Sun and Schindler's List both manage to not trigger my Spielberg allergy too badly - that they're both based on true stories probably helps reign him in. Schindler's List especially was really impressive - all those scenes of utter horror that just pass by in the blink of an eye and become part of everyday life in hell. Still not enough to redeem Spielberg as a director in my eyes, but he can deliver when he wants to.

Requiem For A Dream is just utterly harrowing. As in literally cutting up the viewer's soul with sharp farm implements. Well, almost. Yes, it might seem a little preachy, but goddamn it's effective.

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof I've probably seen before, but I barely remembered it. Actually rather surprised they managed to get away with that story in 1958 even if they had to tone it down. Taylor, Newman and Ives just burn through the screen.

Persona is one of those Ingmar Bergman movies I've stayed away from for some reason. My loss. Yes, it's utterly weird (though never as weird as the opening collage makes it out to be) but as a David Lynch-style psychodrama it's incredible. Pay attention, kids - this is how you deliver a twist ending.

Also, yesterday's hangover movie of choice turned out to be X-Men: First Class. Meh. Though I like Fassbender's Magneto. (Isn't it funny how a story that started out as commentary on racial inequality ends up with a movie where every. single. character who's not a WASP male either dies or turns evil?)

Suckerpunch :star2: + 1/2

It's funny you mentioned Gollum because the guy that play Gollum was the same one that played the main ape in Planet of the Apes.

Back