• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Madonna & Adopted Baby

Stewart

With the news of Madonna (and Guy Ritchie) adopting Malawian child, David Banda, do you think that it's right? It would seem that that Malawian authorities have made changes to the nation's adoption rules in order to accommodate the pop star.

Is it a trend set to grow? High profile persons adopting impoverished kids as if they were fashion accessories. Angelina Jolie, I believe, has adopted a few Cambodians.

Or is it a genuine need to adopt further children? She's got loads of money, so why just adopt one? Why not put the money into the country is she really wants to help? Buy a better school for all, rather than give one a better life.

Thoughts?

Thoughts if it was me or yourself trying to get an interim adoption order by the maldwian courts would we have as much success as madonna and her hubs?

Somehow i think not...

And i think she would have been better pouring money into a better schooling system than to give to just one child!

On the news this morning it was said shes going to try and adopt a baby girl...

Personnally when i see kids from these type of countries my heart bleeds i'd love to bring them home and give them all the love and support they need! But as a single parent i dont think i'd even be given the chance to...

Well if she can provide the right environment then the adoption is no bad thing. I do agree that she could have provided a better school system or helped out in a hundred different ways, but I suppose it's her money and she can spend it anyway she likes.

If she genuinely wants to adopt then she should be allowed to, and I don't know her to be able to question her motives, nor am I comfortable with deciding for her how she could better spend her money. I know from personal experience that my idea of charity differs greatly from many other people's.

BUT! She should be adopting within the existing laws of the country. And within the laws of the country the child will be living in too. There are regulations on both sides that have to adhered to with regards to international adoptions. I don't care how famous or rich a person is, the laws are there for the protection of the child and should not be flouted for sake of attracting celebrities.

According to an article that I found, the boy's mother passed away and he was taken to the orphange by his father who was concerned about his health. If Madonna wanted to do the right thing, she would support(i.e.-bleeding heart liberalness here, she would be good at it) the father and this boy and act as a "godmother" for him. It would only have to be something like $10,000 a year. Instead, she whisked him away from his father who has lost two other children due to disease. I feel for her, it's rough to be a patrician who doesn't have to live the laws that govern others. :rolleyes:

The father has agreed to the adoption though. There's a quote on the beeb...

"What I want is a good life for my child."

Maybe he sees a better future for his child in the west.

The father has agreed to the adoption though. There's a quote on the beeb...

Maybe he sees a better future for his child in the west.

For me, that's the redeeming factor in this whole thing. I can't begin to question Madonna's motives for choosing to adopt this way, but I do wonder about her motives for warping adoption laws just to get this one baby. There are at least 203 nations in the world, I wonder how happened to pick Malawi? Ruby brings up a point, how can she choose just one baby? Given her vast wealth, she could make a difference in so many more little lives..but there I go, judging her again..

I see in the newspaper this morning, Britney is quote as saying she might like to adopt an African kid since Madonna has been a role model to her both in music and lifestyle. Might all be misquote or fabrication but it's believeable enough.

As far as I'm aware she can't even look after the two she has, never mind someone else's.

I see in the newspaper this morning, Britney is quote as saying she might like to adopt an African kid since Madonna has been a role model to her both in music and lifestyle. Might all be misquote or fabrication but it's believeable enough.

As far as I'm aware she can't even look after the two she has, never mind someone else's.

The term, "kids as pets" come to mind here..This is becoming another celebrity fad that makes them look like great humanitarians. Adopting a child from a third world country is not bad at all..but I question those who use it as just another photo-op.

Whoever thought you'd be nostalgic for the days when they settled for carrying a little chihuahua around?

That kid just hit the lottery.

True, but in light of cases such as Anna Nicole Smith's son, at what price? I hope everything is wonderful for this child, and any other adopted in such a way, but I reserve the privilege of being sceptical of publicity hounds.

Back