• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mods and banning (split from 'what color are you')

I mean, a thread where the mods/Darren say, look, this person's been banned. They were warned on this occasion, this and this and we have no choice but to get rid. I'm not suggesting this so that we can all jump in and go, 'You mods are like so wrong BRING THEM BACK OR ELSE!' Just confine it all to one thread.

'You mods are like so wrong BRING THEM BACK OR ELSE!'
That's exactly what we'd get. You'll just have to trust that the mods try their best and are objective about it.

Cheers

Gee Martin, thanks for making it look like I wanted this discussion! All I asked is why Billy was banned, I don't give a rip about the other banned members. :rolleyes:

The accepted practice of banning is to disappear people, so that traces of their one-time presence are difficult to find. Ongoing discussion of the disappeared is politically incorrect because the mods do not want to identify complaintants (whose identity is protected under Mod's Law, a variant of Sod's Law).

But this is not intended as an open and free society; it is a well-defined, specifically restricted private park in which some of the referees, who are supposed to just call foul ball and timeout, sometimes throw balls at the players and then get out the handcuffs.

Gee, I had to go get this from the other thread because it was split while I was posting. Isn't this a little overzealous?

But this is not intended as an open and free society
True - there are a few very simple rules. Now, I know there are people who feel that their freedom is resticted by these rules, and they have this need to rebel against them, but, to be blunt, that's their problem. Break them as often as you want, but be prepared to face the consequences, too.

Cheers

And nobody is forcing people to post here. If you don't like the rules then anybody is free to leave.

And no, it's not a free sociaty. Not here and not anywhere. If you belive that go walk naked to the white house and take a dump and find out how free you are to do and say as you please.

Perhaps some people have very little self-control. Perhaps they want to go on other forums and say "I was banned from such-and-such forum", like it's a badge of honor. All it tells me is someone was obnoxious to the point that the forum was fed up with them.

Sure, some banned people might have been entertaining sometimes, but I don't think that gives them the right to be offensive and ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Agreed - I've had quite a laugh with some of the people that were banned from the forum, but they ended up breaking the rules, repetitively.

What can you do?

Cheers

Philosophy of Board

Is it philosophically hypothetically possible for a mod to get banned, in the TBF universe? Just wondering. Is there a mechanism in place for that, or is it like throwing Satan out of Heaven (which required a giant backhoe and at least two guys)? Ice? Halo? Ell? (where is Ell, BTW? I miss her rational and sound interjections. :( )

A very interesting question given that they too are prone to break rules. Are they given secret slaps on the wrist? Why, only the other day a moderator made a very political post indeed. Was there a warning issued?

I wonder if there's a order, or hierarchy in the world of the mods?

Does one mod have more power, influence, or say in a matter than another, or are they all equals? Is it based on how long they've been a mod?

How many mods are there? How does one become a mod, and has a mod ever been "de-throned" by the other mods? Or, once one becomes a mod they are there for life, or until they quit?

....just curious...not attacking...and not thinking of applying for a job either...

Motokid said:
has a mod ever been "de-throned" by the other mods?
Only when there's a queue for the lavvy and one of them is just sitting there reading The Sun.

Is it philosophically hypothetically possible for a mod to get banned, in the TBF universe?
Yes, of course - if a mod breaks the rules, he or she gets a warning just like the other members.

Why, only the other day a moderator made a very political post indeed. Was there a warning issued?
Nobody has ever received an official warning for expressing political views - the offense is simply not severe enough. If a person makes a political or religious statement, all we'll do is ask him or her to not do it anymore. Besides, many politically oriented posts slip under the radar - it's entire discussions devoted to politics and religion we can't condone.

I wonder if there's a order, or hierarchy in the world of the mods?
Darren is the Site Admin, and he can do anything he wants, really. Ashlea, Ell and myself are the Senior Moderators, and we can do just about the same things (with exceptions) as Darren. Then there's Wabbit, Halo and Ice, who are Moderators. Their 'powers' (for lack of a better word) are somewhat restricted.

Cheers

Reading back through this thread, I'm reminded of Animal Farm. Which I suppose is quite fitting for a book forum. Hey ho. The more things change the more they stay the same. Sad really.

Are people theoretically banned forever, or is there a time period that people are banned for? Or is that on a case by case basis? Can you (mods) ban somebody for a month, or 6 months or a year?

The more things change the more they stay the same. Sad really.
And you are here, why? (Not a snide remark, I'm seriously asking.)

Can you (mods) ban somebody for a month, or 6 months or a year?
We can, yes, but when we implemented the 'Three Strikes and You're Out'-system, we decided that a ban is a ban. Forever.

Cheers

What about a tiered banning system?

Strike one is verbal of coarse.

Strike two is a month long ban, or 3 month ban.

Strike three is the final end all, lifetime ban.

Or is the feeling that after 2 warnings a reasonable adult is 100% accountable, and capable of understanding what the next infraction will bring?
That by the third time it's obvious the person is basically just asking to be banned?

Are the verbal warnings removed after a period of time for good behavior?

Back