• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mods and banning (split from 'what color are you')

Or is the feeling that after 2 warnings a reasonable adult is 100% accountable, and capable of understanding what the next infraction will bring?That by the third time it's obvious the person is basically just asking to be banned?
Yes. It takes quite an offense to get an official warning - insulting members willingly, using foul language constantly, uploading offensive content, etc. With each warning we issue we inform that person of the 'Three Strikes'-system, so they'll know what's coming if they continue on their course.

Are the verbal warnings removed after a period of time for good behavior?
I don't completely understand what you mean with 'verbal', but once a member has been warned, he or she stays warned.

Cheers

I ask myself the same question. I came back for a visit. Thought I'd see if things had improved. But it just turned out that most of the interesting people were posting less and less, the spam monkeys had even more of a strangle hold over the place and the posts of the moderators are really hostile towards a large proportion of the membership and yet they're allowed to get away with it because they're the moderators.

I think you (a general you, not a personal you) have a real problem with how the moderator staff deal with the general forum membership. There's a genuine sense among a large proportion of your membership of a system of 'them and us', and I'm talking from experience here. I talk to people outside of the forum. And I have nothing to lose if you ban me, so I'm just being honest.

You chase people away with your hostility. People question what they see as unfair judgements, and you chase them away too. If the moderators of the forum cannot remain impartial in a given situation then they shouldn't get involved in that situation and start throwing their weight around. And let's face it, some of the moderators have more weight than others and when it lands on you it can make a really horrible squishy noise. Sorry, digression.

You have a group of moderators. Some of the moderators have personal issues with some of the members. These personal issues are incredibly obvious. Certain staff members make no secret of who they hate. Fair enough. But when those staff members are involved in taking decisions to ban people that they have a personal dislike of, well that's wrong and that's what's causing you so many problems here. That's why the forum keeps circling back to the same issue time and time again.

Your secret forum is doing you no favours either. We all know you're in there talking about us. And clearly certain staff members have issues with it too or they wouldn't be leaking information out to the lowly masses. You have serious problems with this forum. Really serious problems. But you can't take the criticism and you won't listen to advice so it's all just going to get worse. And it's a shame. You potentially have a really good forum. A few changes could make it all better. But I doubt you'll ever make them.

It's not my forum, and I have plenty of others to play on it's true. But the traditional retort of 'if you don't like it, leave' is not a valid stance. Sure, there are trolls that will always want to trash a place, but a forum is nothing without its members. The argument of 'it's a private forum and we make the rules' only goes so far. There are thousands of private forums all vying for the same membership. If people don't find what they want here, they'll leave. They do leave. They have been leaving. You'll end up with a transient membership and a stalwart core of angry members who just enjoy winding you up for kicks. Actually, you already have that.

Wow.

Excellent post - kudos.

I'm gonna speak for myself now, as member Martin, not moderator Martin.

I have a right to like and dislike people just as much as you do - I do not forfeit this right when I become a moderator. However, you will not catch me using my 'powers' to bring harm, in any which way, to that member. The day I'll do that, really really do that, is the day I resign my moderatorship.

Of course you'll catch me making jokes, telling people I'll 'ban their ass if they don't shut up' and things like that. But I do that with people I know well enough (or at least I think so) to know that they'll have a laugh over it, and dismiss it as what it is; a joke.

And yes, I have a problem with a few members. You do, too, and every member of this board will have a problem with another member of this board at one point or other. That happens.

Now, what you said:

There's a genuine sense among a large proportion of your membership of a system of 'them and us', and I'm talking from experience here. I talk to people outside of the forum.
Every forum will have disgruntled members. You say you talk to people outside of the forum; I say to that, you talk to certain people outside of the forum - I think the majority of the people here will be content with how the show is being run.

the moderators are really hostile towards a large proportion of the membership
Are we, really - I think you mistake watchfulness for hostility. We've had a hectic period here, which has resulted in the (rightful) banning of a few members, and all we are doing now is being watchful, paying attention to smaller things, in order to nip future arguments in the bud, so that we won't fall back into that hectic period. Have we become stricter? Yes. Was there a need to? Yes.

You have serious problems with this forum. Really serious problems.
We do. My turn to be honest. I think the problem this forum has is a small group of members who come here to disrupt the forum. I will not name names, but the people I refer to know who they are. Your statement at the end of your message only underlines this. I believe things would settle down a whole lot if those people, well, just went away. Are we letting ourselves get wound up because of them? Perhaps we are, but that is a testament to our affection for this place. Besides, we're not robots. All we can do is try our best.

A few changes could make it all better.
We're always open to suggestions. And no, killing all the mods is not an option.

I came back for a visit. Thought I'd see if things had improved.
Did you, really, because that final statement makes me believe otherwise.

Cheers

ps: It's at times like this that I wish my English was better.

I've been gone for 6 months, I'll be gone again soon. (Cue Wabbit's post of Good Riddance), I did just come back for a visit. This place really isn't the interesting, vibrant place it could be. As I said, you don't listen. You pay my post lip service, but you aren't listening, not really. I'm not your core membership. I've not been picking away at scabs for 6 months. You know there's email notification when you get a pm right? So I came back. I had a look around. And I saw some incredibly hostile posts. And now I will name names. And then you can be as nasty as you want because it's always fun to pick on a person that isn't around to defend themselves. It feels grownup and exciting and it makes you look big to all the other kids.

Making Wabbit a moderator was the biggest mistake anyone could ever have made in the running of this forum. With one post he's telling you it's a privately run forum and there are rules about what you can post. In the next post he's ranting about how he can say whatever he likes and no one can stop him because it's a free country and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, whatever. We've all heard the speech about 50 times before.

There's no consistency to the moderating here. If you're friends with the staff, you're golden. If you say one thing they don't like, you make the list and you stay on it. This place is one big clique. The people who stay here to wind you up, and let's face it it's a really easy thing to do, are probably the same people who really like poking at mouth ulcers with their tongues and sniffing at gone off milk.

I think you all just enjoy the conflict too much. Hasn't been a fight in a while, let's all get worked up over nothing. Too many moderators with not enough to do. You want to press buttons and feel important. Meh. It's dull.

Maybe you'll ban me for speaking my mind. It seems to be the done thing. Maybe you won't and I'll pop back in 6 months. If you've learnt to pay attention to your membership by then maybe things will have improved.

A pity you had to make it personal, but so be it.

Making Wabbit a moderator is a decision we all fully supported, and still do. He has done an excellent job. You, to be honest, can't be the judge of this, because a) you've been gone for 6 months, and b) most of what he, and all us mods, do, takes place behind closed curtains.

Now, this is exactly the problem, you say, the closed curtains. No they are not. We are not talking about you in our private forum, we are talking about problems that arise, and how to deal with them. Nothing more, nothing less. No gossip, no bullshit; just 'this and this is happening there and there, how do we deal with it'.

And then you can be as nasty as you want because it's always fun to pick on a person that isn't around to defend themselves. It feels grownup and exciting and it makes you look big to all the other kids.
Don't be so condescending, please. There's no need.

you say one thing they don't like, you make the list and you stay on it.
You almost got it right; if you break a rule, you will get on a list, and stay on it. That's what rules are for.

This place is one big clique.
There's nothing wrong with being one big clique. It's the cliques within the one big clique that are messing it all up.

Maybe you'll ban me for speaking my mind.
We have never banned anyone for speaking their minds.

Cheers

I don't think I have much to add as you made your points very well Martin. Litany, I'm not rise to your baiting.

Yes, I was speaking as a "member" not as a "moderator." My personal feelings never factor into making moderator choices.

So you don't think mods should be mature enough to rise above it? I would have thought that was part of the reason they were picked actually; people who are able to remain mature and calm, and not fly off the handle. We should be safe in the knowledge that they remain impartial. Comments like that, well they don't reassure me. Possibly I'm one of a very small minority.

SillyWabbit said:
Yes, I was speaking as a "member" not as a "moderator." My personal feelings never factor into making moderator choices.

I think when you take on the role of mod, you become a mod, not a member. Hence why your title changes. Thus any actions you take reflect you as a moderator, not a member. You can't just adopt the title when you fancy it.

For sure you are one of a very small majority.

And as stated before. I am only human. I'm not a robot. And for your information that post was created in total calm.

That's great. But it was still incredibly rude, and what I'd call a personal attack. And you are still a moderator! Ashlea, Ell, Halo, Ice - they seem to be able to keep their cool. Why can't you?

SillyWabbit said:
I was speaking as a "member" not as a "moderator."

Oh piss off with all that logorrhoea! :mad:

Once a moderator, always a bloody moderator unless you do what fluffy bunny did and step down. You have moderator beside your name and it will stay there thus you will always post as a moderator. Set a fecking example and be impartial in everything you post. If you want to post as a member, send Darren Lewis a PM right now, step down, and then post as a member. Otherwise, shut up!

Freya said:
Ashlea, Ell, Halo, Ice - they seem to be able to keep their cool.

For them, they are happy to use the forum and participate and, for the most part, remain out of sight. Martin and SillyWabbit are blatant attention seekers (as am I, they'll no doubt riposte) and cause more of this forum's problems than anyone else. They inspire almost every argument that takes place; skip over anyone's criticism with mostly childish remarks. Maybe they have a career within a Labour government but, since politics isn't allowed, I'd be happier if they didn't bring that "political" atmosphere.

Sometimes I think Darren needs his head read - especially with the bizarre promotion of RainowGurl to a moderator's post when the girl can hardly string a coherent sentence together or make a decision for herself. How on earth does she determine an appropriate action to take and explain it to somebody without being undermined by default for a lack of ability? :confused:

Wrong, I am both member AND moderator.

Whenever I am called upon to be moderator then I will act with impartiality. Any other time I am free to say and act as I please within the rules.

flying_p.gif

YAWN!

Stewart said:
For them, they are happy to use the forum and participate and, for the most part, remain out of sight. Martin and SillyWabbit are blatant attention seekers (as am I, they'll no doubt riposte) and cause more of this forum's problems than anyone else. They inspire almost every argument that takes place; skip over anyone's criticism with mostly childish remarks. Maybe they have a career within a Labour government but, since politics isn't allowed, I'd be happier if they didn't bring that "political" atmosphere.

That's YOUR opinion. I am not an attention seeker. Of course, you are free to believe whatever you like. This really isn't about moderation is it? This is about you and a couple of other people not liking certain people. I find that rather childish. Shouldn't that sort of thing be left to the playground?

Politics are not allowed for discussion. Why is that kept being brought up? If it was my forum, then I would allow it. This isn't my forum. This isn't your forum. The rules are there, if you don't like them leave and if you are OK with them stay. It's that simple! I'm not telling you to leave or wanting you to leave but really isn't that the only option? Well, you can whine on like 5 year old your not allowed to say such and such or do so and so if like but I rather hope that people are beyond that kind of thing.

Is it so hard just to enjoy the forum? Is it so hard not to be personal and petty? Is it so hard just to abide by the simple and few rules imposed here? It's really beyond me. I get accused of being immature? That's really rich coming from you and the few other trolls.

Looks like it's been another busy morning at TBF!

And now....a short story.

When chum-in-exile warm enema (yes, that song again) was banned, I gave my word that, should it ever wish to post his views on the situation, I would be the conduit for him. He believes the time has come. And so, though it probably breaks the rules, here is a message from enema. I believe he should have the opportunity to have his say, after all, the moderators and admin have had theirs.

I'll let warm_enema take it from here.

From warm_enema in exile:

Most of you don't know me, but you'll get my gist soon enough.
First a brief history lesson:

Martin, wasn't always a mod.

Here, the first three pages.

Why don't you ask him how he got it back?
Why don't you ask Silly Wabbit how he became a mod? Second choices, anyone.
Now for the good stuff.

Here.

Here.

Now please understand this all went down before the three strikes rule went into effect. Now where was my second chance?

For things like this, questioning their authority. There were other things too but they went to the thread graveyard.

These are things from a former mod:
Darren may let Enema back (though it'll take a lot of non-violent protest). One thing is for sure though - he'll insist on a new username for enema (Darren keeps ruing the day he allowed that username to pass).

As an offer of good faith I sent this to Darren:

When you deleted my, "My World" thread, I didn't whine like martin. It went on for over 500 replies of pretty much the same kind of debauchery...if there was a problem with it, would it not have been more effective to mention it to me? Rather than let it fester and give me the illusion that everything was alright.

The grapevine has it that you have a problem with my user-name. I've been a member for nine months. I never recieved a PM or email asking me if I would change it. I'm caustic, not unreasonable.

Perhaps you had a problem with me questioning, Ou Be's first banning. When other members questioned, not_edna's banning, there wasn't a problem.

My 'stick it in an ass' post, was vulgar without a doubt. My point was, in case you missed it the first time, by enforcing that PG-13 rule you are only forcing us to become more creative in our wording. For the record, the PG-13 thing is crap, because you have to be at least 13 to join the site.

You unbanned, bobby and Ou Be.

Your updated membership agreement states I get three chances and a letter from the administrator. I used one chance near the beginning of my membership, for a religious post. I still have two chances. And I never got a letter.

Do you really believe that your forum isn't growing because of our obscene posts? I'm going to tell you, that isn't why. Also for the record, I find Silly Wabbit's paedophile tendencies towards RainbowGurl, far more offensive and I'm not the only one; and he is a moderator.

We'll see what happens. If I don't get to come back, ok; I hope your passive-aggresion, takes you to great places.

enema

and also from a former mod:
Just to let you know that the mods are currently having a vote
(Darren's found some loophole about needing that 3rd warning). You won't hear
anything until Sunday at the earliest.
Without ever hearing anything, and I've been in exile ever since. Am I bitter about the whole thing? Not really.
From another current moderator,"free to express my opinions any way I see fit." From one of the current moderators, "The moderators don't have to justify themselves." Let us not forget, "You'll just have to trust that the mods try their best and are objective about it."
And that is the problem. Moderators have feelings too and these feelings are involved in their decision making process. Wouldn't it be nice, if people have a problem with some one, talk to them about it; if there is a group problem it is handled by the group...

enema

Again, why do you and a few others insist on stirring things up? Those few that broke the rules were banned. If you think we are so evil people and this forum is so nazi then why are you here?

Back