• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Newsweek: Dumb Things Americans Believe

beer good

Hey, their headline, not mine.

Dumb Things Americans Believe - Newsweek

Of course, there's always lies, damned lies, and statistics. For instance, I'm curious to know how much overlap there is - are the 20% who believe in witches the same 20% who believe the sun rotates around the Earth, or the same 20% who believe Obama is a muslim?

An international comparison wouldn't go amiss either. Anyone know of one?

Wow I can not believe that 80% of people still believe that the earth rotates around the sun. Aristotle would be rolling over in his grave.

I knew the average American was stupid. Now I know how stupid. Germans know more about American goings ons than Americans! ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_1shifty.gif

Of course, George Carlin realized that years ago: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." ~ Mark Twain

I really find these kind of polls hard to believe. I'm dumb as hell and still know the answers to the questions.

20% who believe Obama is a muslim?

I know for a FACT he is a muslim. Because my boss everyday listens to Rush Limbaugh......Who clearly states Barack is a muslim. And as my boss says "it cant be on the radio if it's not true"..............

I know for a FACT he is a muslim. Because my boss everyday listens to Rush Limbaugh......Who clearly states Barack is a muslim. And as my boss says "it cant be on the radio if it's not true"

You just can not beat that logic, I wonder what other things we were assuming were true that just aren't...does anyone want to revisit the whole flat earth thing? We need Limbaugh to tell us what is what, and then Clinton to define what "is" is in reference to the Rush definition. Politics can be very confusing.

Wow I can not believe that 80% of people still believe that the earth rotates around the sun. Aristotle would be rolling over in his grave.
Aristotle? I doubt he knew any better. If anyone's spinning in their grave, in this context, it's Galileo.

I probably did. I don't remember writing it and, looking at the time - 03:11, my time - I had just got home, having been at a free bar since 17:00. Had the second worst hangover ever, today. The first was day two of Oktoberfest.

I've just looked at the actual 'dumb things Americans believe' list. The most troubling, for me, is this one:

To mark the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth, Gallup thought it might be a good idea to poll Americans on their beliefs of the British naturalist's theory. But the results must have had Darwin spinning in his grave, since only 39 percent of Americans believed in the theory. The good news: only a quarter said they didn't believe it; the remaining portion either didn't have an opinion or didn't answer. (Also, only 55 percent correctly linked Darwin's name with the theory.) However, it appears that views may, um, evolve: younger people believe in evolution at far higher rates than older ones.​
Only 39 percent? That's scary. But not exactly unexpected in a country where there are many religious nuts all shouting over each other.

Back