• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

October 2008 Book group suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I won't pretend to be disappointed that you guys haven't mentioned how thrilled you were with my nominees. :sad:

However, I would like to point out that Lynn Freed is one of the most underrated authors of our time; William Kennedy's Ironweed won the 1984 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction; Graham Swift's Last Orders won the 1996 Booker; and Louise Erdrich's highly acclaimed Love Medicine won the 1984 National Book Critics Circle Award.

Most importantly, these books are not long.
I've looked at the synopses and reviews on amazon and elsewhere, and I could easily read any of them, but more especially the last two, and between those two the last one, Erdrich. Let's see what happens. :)

Its interesting to me that several of the authors we have been considering have Minnesota roots: Sinclair Lewis; Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald; Louise Erdrich.

Well, I won't pretend to be disappointed that you guys haven't mentioned how thrilled you were with my nominees. :sad:

However, I would like to point out that Lynn Freed is one of the most underrated authors of our time; William Kennedy's Ironweed won the 1984 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction; Graham Swift's Last Orders won the 1996 Booker; and Louise Erdrich's highly acclaimed Love Medicine won the 1984 National Book Critics Circle Award.

Most importantly, these books are not long.

You have some good suggestions, SeoulMan. Of your suggestions, Last Orders interests me most and I considered lending that titile my support, but I happen to favor Tender is the Night. I might add that Last Orders has been added to my shopping list. The suggestion is very much appreciated.

I'll throw my vote behind SeoulMan's suggestion of Ironweed - been meaning to read this one for a while now. Thanks for the reminder SeoulMan!

Actually, after you mentioned Doctor Glas, I was interested. I just didn't say anything openly though. LOL!

Several books have come up several times:

Tender Is the Night

Ironweed

Doctor Glas

We actually need three books, if we are to select for October through December.

I think three months in the cue is long enough. Can we just work on October? We can discuss November next month.

So, when you're done nominating books is there a poll that decides which book is the book of the month? This seems like a fun idea :)

I've seen this technology/tool available on other websites, not sure if this supports that type of polling or not?

Ah, okay. I post on another message board that has a "create a poll" option just like we have "new thread" options on this board. It's a great way to decide things like this.

I think three months in the cue is long enough. Can we just work on October? We can discuss November next month.

I rather favor taking the top two or three books and agreeing to discuss them in October, November, etc. Then we can spend our time reading and discussing the selected books instead of discussing what books to read.

The decision for October needs to be made before the end of the month to ensure people have enough time to get a copy. I believe Tender Is the Night and Doctor Glas have the most momentum.

I'm not sure any book has any momentum. Certainly, some have been discussed more than others but that's only because a few of you have been the most vocal and passionate about them. That's not to diminish the other nominees. I imagine that if a poll was put up, the numbers would surprise us.

Here's what I counted so far in this thread of the number of mentions by posters other than the one nominating the book (multiple mentions by the same poster is counted as one (1) mention):

Doctor Glas - 5 (Libra, Stewart, beergood, saliotthomas, SeoulMan)
Tender is the Night - 5 (Robert, pontalba, Libra, gonewiththewind, silverseason)
Million Little Pieces - 2 (Libra, beergood)
Gone With the Wind - 2 (Peder, Robert)
Last Orders - 2 (Peder, Robert)
Love Medicine - 1 (Peder)
Ironweed - 1 (Silvanous)
My Lobotomy - 1 (Tlou)
Strangers on a Train - 1 (pontalba)

Obviously, the above numbers only reflect what the posting public favors. We can't be sure of the lurkers.

This raises the question of can someone vote for more then one book? I would suggest no, therefore some folks need to re-vote for their favorite (Libra, beergood, Peder Robert, and pontalba) based upon Seoulman's review of the tally to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back