• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old Christmas Threads (gifts, well wishes, etc)

sugarz said:
What about for adult women? And no self-help books, I can't stand them half the time. I have enough trouble figuring out what to buy myself (or ask for). Buying books for other adult women is difficult.

How about "Mother" by Hanif Kureishi. That one is on my to be read list.

Flower

I buy books for people based on what they do and are interested in, rather than what the are (age/gender).

abecedarian said:
I love those Klutz Press books/kits. They make it easy to introduce a craft and a cool book to the kids on my list. Whoever thought of them was brilliant.

Me too. I had some as a kid, but there are so many more now. I ended up buying a second one for the same kid, Friendship Bracelets.

mehastings said:
Other than that, I doubt I will give many books. I gave a ton for birthday presents this year, and about fifteen for Christmas gifts last year. I think people are probably getting sick of all my book giving!

Well, I lied. I like giving gifts with some thought behind them, and the people in my life are picky. I can pretty much pick a book for anyone and know they'll like it. So, I gave in and bought almost $200 worth of books tonight.

My Mom:
The Sea - Banville
Heaven Lake - Dalton

My Dad:
Foucault's Pendulum - Eco
The Dante Club - Pearl

His Mom:
Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader

His Dad:
London - Rutherford
The Greatest Generation - Brokaw

My Brother:
The Dark Tower Books IV, V & VI - King

mehastings said:
Me too. I had some as a kid, but there are so many more now. I ended up buying a second one for the same kid, Friendship Bracelets.

Well, I lied. I like giving gifts with some thought behind them, and the people in my life are picky. I can pretty much pick a book for anyone and know they'll like it. So, I gave in and bought almost $200 worth of books tonight.

My Mom:
The Sea - Banville
Heaven Lake - Dalton

My Dad:
Foucault's Pendulum - Eco
The Dante Club - Pearl

His Mom:
Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader

His Dad:
London - Rutherford
The Greatest Generation - Brokaw

My Brother:
The Dark Tower Books IV, V & VI - King

Ahem!...if dad doesn't like the book on Foucault, you can always send it to you and Tom's favorite person in Nebraska.:D

Here's what I've bought or plan to buy so far:

For my 16 yr. old dd:
Deryni Rising-Kathryn Kurtz
Dernyi Checkmate-Kurtz
High Deryni-Kurtz

For my 14 yr. old ds:

The Great Book of Amber-Roger Zelazny (all 10 Amber books in one)

For my 12 yr. old ds:

Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth- J.V. Hart

Saturday, in my local library's sale cart, we found a tall pile of mint-condition children's books that we scooped up for gifts. I can't tell you all we found because the kids who were with me came home an wrapped several immediately..

I also plan to buy a couple of Bibles for two of the kids who are needing one. And I'll probably get at least one for my hubby, but I'm not sure which one yet.

I'm so pleased with myself. I found a copy of Pecos Bill by Brian Gleeson, with a tape of Robin Williams reading the story. We had copy when the older kids were little, and both are long gone. I found out it's oop and went to abebooks to see if I could get it that way. Life is good, and once again the abc household will be blessed by this great book.

Thinking of buying anything by Danny Wallace ( Yes man & Join me) for my son, so i can read them after him.

OMG, I just saw the *cutest* book at Wal-Mart.(did I say the "c" word?) It's the Elmo Clapping hands book. I will buy this one this coming weekend, though I don't know if I could stand to not have th kids play with it until christmas day. This one is just awesome!.

I just bought MORE Christmas books. A friend's brother is stationed in Iraq and is feeling really down. He didn't exactly get a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving and he's feeling really bummed about being away from family at Christmas. I've only met him once, but I still feel bad. So, I went to the store today and bought a ton of stuff for him. In the box I included a couple books. The selection at the market was limited and only MMs fit in my box, so I got Everything's Eventual and The Alienist.

SFG75 said:
OMG, I just saw the *cutest* book at Wal-Mart.(did I say the "c" word?) It's the Elmo Clapping hands book. I will buy this one this coming weekend, though I don't know if I could stand to not have th kids play with it until christmas day. This one is just awesome!.

I made game boards for my BF and another friend for Christmas and it is KILLING me not to give them to them....

Here's the latest list:

NIV Study Bible

Lonely Planet Great Britian

A Little Princes(Classic Starts Series)

The Secret Garden (Classics Starts Series)

Book of Mother Goose:A Treasury of More Than 300 Nursery Rhymes

Klutz Knitting

Klutz Shrinky Dinks

The Chronicles of Narnia Boxed Set

Peter Pan

Card Games for Dummies

The Book of Amber

Capt. Hook

Deryni Rising

Deryni Checkmate

High Deryni

Wolfpointe-Rick Buda

Draw Christmas Thumbprints

Writing Smarts(American Girl Library)

Clever Letters (American Girl Library)

Pecos Bill (read by Robin Williams)

2 blank books/Journals

2 Seven Sleepers books by Gilbert Morris

Usborne Book of Mythology

Mandolin Chord Book

There's one more I got for one of my older dds, but I can't remember the title. She picked it out while we were at a used book store the other day.

What's funny, a week or so ago I took several of the kids to our local library and they found a tall stack of mint-conditioned books on the sale cart. For a donation, they brought home books for all the sibs who weren't with us that day. So, besides the books from mom and dad...this will be a Book Christmas this year:cool:

I'm going home to my mom's next weekend. We often drive around looking for the tackiest Christmas display (SE MA and NE RI is a very tacky area). This is sure to be the winner... Perhaps I'll take pictures to put everyone in the Christmas spirit.

I bet there are more than a few accidents on the road by that house.:eek:

LOL@mehastings and her family "tacky award of the holidays goes to..." contest.:D :D

I am reading........

I am currently reading the take by martina cole. I think it is brilliant my sister said she wouldnt mind reading it because it looks great and her friends say it is really good.:cool: IMAO

Back